Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
saw that is! ;) After seeing all the cool shots jcdeboever posted of antique equipment lately, I thought I'd put up this video of my club's recent test of a newly [almost] restored Vaughn dragsaw. For the woodworkers in the crowd, that's black walnut that's going under the knife!

I think it would work better if the log wasn't wiggling.

I think it would work better if the log wasn't wiggling.
A LOT better, but that was all that was handy at the moment. When we do the demos at the fair we'll have a couple of 24-30" diameter cedar logs about 10' long.

That is totally, flippin awesome! I seen one before on a wood frame. I want to say it was run off steam but I can not recall or if that is even feasible. I love that sound of that 2 Stroke. My grandpa had a monkey wards model that sounded like and looked like that and he put it on a home made steel frame. He would go around after a storm and pick up all the fallen trees and use the crap out of that thing for his wood burning furnace.

That is totally, flippin awesome! I seen one before on a wood frame. I want to say it was run off steam but I can not recall or if that is even feasible. I love that sound of that 2 Stroke. My grandpa had a monkey wards model that sounded like and looked like that and he put it on a home made steel frame. He would go around after a storm and pick up all the fallen trees and use the crap out of that thing for his wood burning furnace.
There are steam-powered ones, but they're rare, as the requirement to have a boiler co-located tended to negate the usefulness of [what was then] a small, light, and very portable saw. It's actually surprisingly efficient; had the log we're cutting been stable and solid, even with that blad which wasn't as sharp as it could be, it would have cut a 20" round in less than 90 seconds.

There are steam-powered ones, but they're rare, as the requirement to have a boiler co-located tended to negate the usefulness of [what was then] a small, light, and very portable saw. It's actually surprisingly efficient; had the log we're cutting been stable and solid, even with that blad which wasn't as sharp as it could be, it would have cut a 20" round in less than 90 seconds.
Going to tractor show tomorrow, will be looking for one. Indoors, gonna be challenging. Have no idea on light. Bringing my K1000 28mm, 50mm and Coolpix P7100 + flash for each.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Holy Mother of All That is Unsafe ! Gotta say, that crew and that piece of equipment made me cringe.

Do you suppose the sparks that were coming off 3/4 of the way through the cut were from some long-ago fence staples, now found buried inside what was one a 10-inch-diameter tree? Or maybe from a nail used to tack up an old sign back in 1926, when the tree was little more than a scrawny 8-incher?

Holy Mother of All That is Unsafe ! Gotta say, that crew and that piece of equipment made me cringe.

Do you suppose the sparks that were coming off 3/4 of the way through the cut were from some long-ago fence staples, now found buried inside what was one a 10-inch-diameter tree? Or maybe from a nail used to tack up an old sign back in 1926, when the tree was little more than a scrawny 8-incher?
Mehhh.... we prefer to call it fun! ;) The sparks are actually from the open-port exhaust; the needle valve in the mixer is a bit worn, so the mixture control is a tad unreliable until I get around to machiningg a new one.

I need to show this to the wife. The 4' bar on my saw (with the rakers cut off) looks a lot safer now:allteeth:
What the Hades d'ya need a 4' bar for in Ontario?????? There's nothin' but pecker-poles in the whole damn province!

LOL. It's one of my 3 saws left from when I lived in BC. It's the only one I refuse to change. 4' bar and 50hp. Cuts like a dream. Bit of a widowmaker if you can't handle it though.
Oh and I use it in a saw mill now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back