What are some cool photography tricks

Nestor Toussaint

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Photographer s

I am new to digital photography and would like to know some cool digital photography tricks that I can use to be better at it.

Hello Photographer s

I am new to digital photography and would like to know some cool digital photography tricks that I can use to be better at it.

Remove any "protective" filters ad throw them away...

Study your failed pics for guidelines on what NOT to do...do not just jettison the failed digital images.

Remove the lens cap at the start of a shooting session...be ready at all times....have the right exposure pre-set, the lens cap off, and expecting a shot at any second.

LOOK at what the camera is showing. Move the camera position, actively searching for the best shooting position.

Like the cereal catchphrase, "Tricks are for kids!" Photography is easy these days, and there are MANY good photo books out there that show step-by-step tips for getting better at the many types of picture-taking.

Last edited:
As @Derrel said.
Go to the book store and browse and buy a book or two.
Or go to the library and check out a book at a time.
And READ them.
Then practice what you read, so that you understand it.

Last edited:
The only "trick" that I can think is most useful at this time is to learn to use a tripod. its more than simply attaching a camera and opening it up.

I will let the others give the practical answers and show you some things I have done...

photostudio_1548176885400.jpg

20626942_10211642722076140_6473018803533507711_o.jpg

50781447_10215521075152543_6981813894809387008_o.jpg

12186640_10206363745385022_189949433214009853_o.jpg

15590930_10209513423805014_4339836857629958033_o (1).jpg

19400612_10211201445644505_2558437428005208462_o (1).jpg

BASICS
Tricks are of little value if you don't have the basics down.
If you don't know how to use your camera, you can't apply some of the tricks.​
The photo books and your camera manual will take you through the basics.

Study your failed pics for guidelines on what NOT to do...do not just jettison the failed digital images.

THIS
This is called by various names/terms.
Review, Lessons Learned, Post-Mortem, etc.​
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." George Santayana
IOW, if you don't learn from your mistakes, you will keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

The advantage of books over YouTube is that books tend to show an overview, and have been edited by professional Editors, and have been carefully planned out. With YouTube we have a wide collection of thousands upon thousands of videos, many of which have been made by people who are little more than beginners. A framework ensures easy learning in a step-by-step process.

Last edited:
extension tube

lens reversing ring

freelensing

Lensbaby

open shutter

steelwool spinning; Skyliner

+ diopter lens: Raynox; Canon 500D, Canon 250 D, Nikon 5T, Nikon 6T

Typical noobie taking photos: "Ooh, that's cool!" *click* (looks at screen) "Yep, got it!"

Experienced, seasoned pro: "Ooh, that's cool!" Then thinks: 'Where's the best angle? Is the light right now, or will some other time be better? How can I take this and not get that ugly thing in the background? Which is more important for this shot... shutter speed or aperture? How long of a shutter speed can I use and not get camera blur? Portrait or landscape framing? 100, 200 or 300mm? Would a polarizer make it better? Or an ND8? Should I go back to the car and get my big 5-in-1? What steps in post will make this a 3-star image or better? Does color work, or will it be better desaturated? Or muted colors?

Then gets done editing....... and deletes the image 'cause it just doesn't work.

BASICS
Tricks are of little value if you don't have the basics down.
If you don't know how to use your camera, you can't apply some of the tricks.​
The photo books and your camera manual will take you through the basics.

Let me give you a couple real examples of basic problems.

My sister-in-law asked me why her pictures were blurry.
When I watched her, she was holding the camera out at arms length from her.
So there the camera was, shaking up and down in her out-stretched arms.
She was NOT going to get a sharp picture with the camera moving and shaking like that.
If she were shooting video, I would get sea sick watching the video.
So first order of business, was to learn to hold the camera so that it would not be shaking up and down.

How do you press the shutter?
I've seen people using their ARM to press down on the shutter, not their finger.
The right side of the camera visibly moves down when they push down on the shutter.
They are not pressing the shutter, they are actually shoving the right side of the camera down.
They need to learn how to properly press the shutter, without moving the camera.

You want to get better.

Practice.
Find a subject that you like and shoot a LOT.
If you like the subject, you tend to pay more attention to it than a subject you don't care about.​
Then STUDY what you shot.
Do you like the picture, how could it have been made better?
IOW learn from what you did, to get better.​

So lets get back to the original question. what "tricks"?
In reality there are non if your new to photography.
its learning first. this was pointed out on another post, but without discouraging you, what you will find out is that the "tricks" are an extension of the foundational aspects of photogrpahy.

You might feel a bit pounded on here, and I personally apologize if you feel like that.
But remember one has to learn to crawl....

The folks here are more than willing to walk you through issues you have.
So dont get discouraged, start with snapshots, them start figuring out what makes those snapshots stand out.

Digital differs from film mainly in post-capture editing. Film photography has remained essential the same for about a hundred years, digital has expanded on the technology in editing.

So you capture an image pretty much as you would with film, then upload it to your computer where you can do some manipulating that is difficult or impossible with film.

Learn the basics, then learn digital editing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back