What are the best photography magazines?

Stacie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at subscribing to a photography magazine. There are a handful on the market. Just wondering what was the best? I'm interested in one that isn't too over my head (I consider myself to be an advanced beginner). Thanks!

National Geographic - fantastic photos!

Most of the rest consist of:
1) Adverts - up to half of many modern magazines can be just adverts for products.

2) Gear reviews - ok if you want new gear, but otherwise it comes out later than the internet reviews and often as not you'll skip past most

3) Beginner level tutorials- and not just beginner level but the same ones will come around again in 12 months time. At certain times of the year you'll get the "HDR" the "Macro" the "arty" article that will get re-written and rolled out again. It's ok for a beginner, but they generally lack meat on the articles to really take things further and have little for more experienced photographers.

And that's the main problem, they are aimed at beginners and have little draw for the more experienced to really keep them in the loop. A few are better and they tend to have a more arty lean and can be quite inspirational but most are aiming for the lucrative beginner market.

Click-My Fav.
Popular Photography
Digital Photo
If something is over your head then look it up. That is how you will learn.

I like " Outdoor photographer" and "Shutterbug".

By subscription, I get Rangefinder and Photoshop User.
Actually Photoshop User is included with National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) membership. Photoshopuser.com

PDN covers a lot of what's happening in photography; Lenswork has some interesting articles/features related to B&W photography.

(NAPP does not seem to be an actual association (no board/officers, meetings, bylaws etc.), it's part of the Kelby company and offers the magazine among other training and publications.)

c't digital photography
in-depth articles - really good explanations. Ads are way down on other mags

Much like Overread up there, my experience with photography magazines has been:

Mostly adverts. So many adverts. More adverts than you can shake a monopod at. You could try shaking one at them, but you wouldn't be able to because there's just so little room because you're being cramped by adverts.

Which I would begrudgingly accept (they have to make money somehow, I don't think all that printing is cheap), were it not for the fact that there was very little in the magazines about photography itself. There are reviews out the wazoo. Cameras, lenses, tripods you name it. Which I personally don't care for, partially because I'm never going to be able to afford this $3000 lens, but also because the equipment I already have suits my purposes just fine.

The closest thing to photography are the tutorials. There are articles on composition - sorry, I mean articles on the Rule of Thirds. Because that's pretty much it. Rule of thirds. Or balance, sometimes, just to mix it up. Which is great if you've just bought the camera and are looking for some guidance but I'm not. And there are also tutorials on Photoshop or Aperture, or Lightroom or whatever. Fine, but I have a book on all that. Which I bought when I discovered that PSE didn't come with a manual (the book, funnily enough, is called The Missing Manual).

Having said that, sometimes there are 'special' editions, which focus on one area. BW photography, macrophotography, wildlife photography, and have articles about how to photograph this subject, and any editing tricks that might help. They're worth looking into on a case-by-case basis.

Now, I haven't read every magazine out there and some people have clearly had different experiences, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. Personally I just have a subscription to National Geographic.

...............Which I would begrudgingly accept (they have to make money somehow, I don't think all that printing is cheap),...........

Yet.......... if they charged just 10¢ more per ad, they could send me the mag for free.

I subscribe to Click as well..

Digital Camera from England which comes with a DVD and field guides for only 7 dollars and change Canadian.

Check to see if your public library has any. Browse through a pile and see which ones are useful. I love libraries.

I subscribed to Outdoor Photographer for a year. It's almost completely mountains and western scenery. Since I live in Florida it didn't do me much good so I didn't renew. I got the impression they are unaware of anything east of the Mississippi.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back