What are the computer specs for your editing platform?

Advanced Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
  • What are the specs on your editing rig?
  1. CPU
  2. GPU
  3. Mainboard
  4. Memory type, speed and amount
  5. Storage type and amount
  6. Is it overclocked?
  7. Do you use the built in turbo on an intel 'k' chip?
  • Did you build or buy it?
  • What OS, etc.?
  • What is your monitor?
  • Other input devices?

(For those of you that have a windows PC and would like to share your information but just don't know where to find it all (it can be a daunting task if you didn't build it yourself) or if you would just like to see it for yourself even if you'd rather not share the information here, you can get all the data for your computer by going to CPU-Z's website and download the validator tool. It's simple and free: just use the "Validate" button within CPU-Z then click "Submit" for an instant, 100% automatic submission. You will receive a link to your complete system specs, including the validated status of your computer. The perfect way to share your awesome brand new hardware specs with your friends and, if something goes wrong, an invaluable tool to ask for some help on enthusiasts forums.)

For those not wishing to participate by the exchange of information about their computer, please have the decency to not post to this thread, instead start your own thread. Thank You.

1. CPU Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core
    2. GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
    3. Mainboard Asus Rampage V Edition 10 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    4. Memory type, speed and amount Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
    5. Storage type and amount OS Drive: Samsung SM961 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Additional Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    6. Is it overclocked? turbo clocked to 3.8 GHz
    7. Do you use the built in turbo on an intel 'k' chip? Yes
    • Did you build or buy it? Built it.
    • What OS, etc.? Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    • What is your monitor? Philips BDM4065UC 40.0" 60Hz Monitor
    • Other input devices?

[/QUOTE]

computer-jpg.129687

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

AMD FX 6300 Six-core Processor 3.50 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM (this is my next upgrade)

2 TB Seagate Hybrid Hard Drive (ST2000DX001)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (No overclocking, yet)

AOC E2476VWM6 Monitor (24", 1MS)

Windows 97 Home Premium. 5.9 on the Windows Experience Index

This was set up more for gaming. Shouldn't take much to tweak it for photography. Still working on the basics. Once I've figured that out, I'll worry about decent editing software. From my research this should work pretty good. Yes? No?

1. CPU Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core
    2. GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
    3. Mainboard Asus Rampage V Edition 10 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    4. Memory type, speed and amount Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
    5. Storage type and amount OS Drive: Samsung SM961 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Additional Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    6. Is it overclocked? turbo clocked to 3.8 GHz
    7. Do you use the built in turbo on an intel 'k' chip? Yes
    • Did you build or buy it? Built it.
    • What OS, etc.? Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    • What is your monitor? Philips BDM4065UC 40.0" 60Hz Monitor
    • Other input devices?

[/QUOTE]
For those not wishing to participate by the exchange of information about their computer, please have the decency to not post to this thread, instead start your own thread. Thank You.
Since you posted it, it applies to you too. No requirement for commentary on what others may, or may not regard as important in their editing work flow.

iMac27" 3.5GHz i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
I use a vintage X-Rite i1 for checking screen
32GB of 1600 DDR3
500GB Flash drive primary for Photoshop Scratch Disk and Applications
1TB secondary 7200 RPM drive on Thunderbolt Partitioned into 2 drives (running Time Machine and lesser used documents)
4TB Work Drive on Thunderbolt
4TB Backup Drive on Thunderbolt

Intuous4 Medium for retouching

1. Intel i5-6500 @ 3.20Ghz CPU
  2. Radeon RX460 GPU, Overclocked 4GB twin fan doohickie thing
  3. Mainboard - H170 to support H170 Chipset LGA 1151atx
  4. Memory type, speed and amount - 16GB DDR4-2400
  5. Storage type and amount, 7200rpm HD/6GB/s also external USB3 5TB drive
  6. Is it overclocked? Yes
  7. Do you use the built in turbo on an intel 'k' chip? Last time I recall a turbo mode it was on my 8086 Intel processor. A neat turbo button on the outside of the case. :)
  • Did you build or buy it? Build
  • What OS, etc.? Windows 10
  • What is your monitor? Samsung something
  • Other input devices? Devastator II gaming mouse & keyboard (fancy red LEDs)

1. Intel x5570
2. FXQuadro 1800
3. Super Micro
4. 8 GB DD3
5. Server storage; personal; redundant 2TB x 2TB x 4 for total of 4Tb x or 8 TB mirrored storage, redundant. Customer storage =32TB redundant or 16Tb x 2, soon to be 64tb. Access files Amazon drive, no linit
6. O, no need, stupid to overclock, however, I do have a scratch 120 GB SSD drive for cached media files.
7. turbo no. No need, I use linux which doesn't exploit this worthless feature
I build my own because I understand hardware and build for a life cycle plan.
Slackware 14.2 64 bit
Acer, backlit,
No mouse. Lenovo USB track point keyboard, mechanical clicky, rare. Not many mechanical clicky USB trackpoints made. Under a 100 am told. Many people never heard of it and deny it's exsistance but I hold one that I was gifted from IBM prior to Lenovo acquisition. It is pure perfection. All the fruitless work from the OS/2 days paid off in a mechanical keyboard with built in mouse track like they have on ThinkPads. However, I still help a few European banks with their ATM software glitch's using OS/2. I do help Blackberry as well with their phenomenal OS.

1. Intel x5570
2. FXQuadro 1800
3. Super Micro
4. 8 GB DD3
5. Server storage; personal; redundant 2TB x 2TB x 4 for total of 4Tb x or 8 TB mirrored storage, redundant. Customer storage =32TB redundant or 16Tb x 2, soon to be 64tb. Access files Amazon drive, no linit
6. O, no need, stupid to overclock, however, I do have a scratch 120 GB SSD drive for cached media files.
7. turbo no. No need, I use linux which doesn't exploit this worthless feature
I build my own because I understand hardware and build for a life cycle plan.
Slackware 14.2 64 bit
Acer, backlit,
No mouse. Lenovo USB track point keyboard, mechanical clicky, rare. Not many mechanical clicky USB trackpoints made. Under a 100 am told. Many people never heard of it and deny it's exsistance but I hold one that I was gifted from IBM prior to Lenovo acquisition. It is pure perfection. All the fruitless work from the OS/2 days paid off in a mechanical keyboard with built in mouse track like they have on ThinkPads. However, I still help a few European banks with their ATM software glitch's using OS/2. I do help Blackberry as well with their phenomenal OS.

Nice setup. The intel turbo is on the cpu chip and is accessed through the bios, not the OS, so it is the same for Linux, Windows etc. the 5570 does have the feature, and it's base is 2.93 GHz and the turbo speed is set to 3.33GHz max so you could get a boost there of around 15% unless I figured it wrong.
I love my mechanical keyboard too. My wife didn't understand what the difference was, tried mine for a couple days and won't use a blister board ever again.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Actually, your wrong in a way. Turbo mode is a feature tied into Windows proprietary bios feature. I manually disabled this feature in order to properly optimize or the manually configure the Linux OS. It is a fluff feature to accommodate proprietary invasive access to an OS.

Most reactions

Back