WHAT are these SHADOWS in my pictures?????

Thank you,I get around:evil:

Based on everything I am pretty sure its a leaf shutter that occasionally dislodges.Since you recently purchased it I would bring it back to the store and exchange for another.

I'm not sure, but a few of those pictures have an interesting look with that shadow.

Ya it looks like a shutter problem. I blew up shutters on my camera twice and saw the same thing. You can only run 200,000 frames though a camera before the shutter says that enough.

Based on everything I am pretty sure its a leaf shutter that occasionally dislodges.Since you recently purchased it I would bring it back to the store and exchange for another.

DSLRs have focal plane shutters, not leaf shutters bro.

They look like shadows from the left hand holding the lens over-handed to me and getting in the way of the on-board flash, with individual fingers occasionally letting gaps of light through.

it DOES look like a hand! that's what was also driving me nuts! the thing is, i was holding the camera in the bottom left corner with my left hand. so there goes THAT theory.

i think it's exchange time.

Tyler is right. This is no shutter or mirror problem. If you set a shutter speed faster than the flash-sync speed then you'd get a dark "band" but it would be a rectangular section that was too dark -- not these odd shaped shadows as seen here. Same would be true if the mirror were sticking.

My suspicion is that:

1) something is blocking the flash (that should be easy to spot)
2) something really was blocking the lens... the lens-strap, a finger, something
3) something is inside the camera sensor housing. But something in the camera would be very easy to spot. Just remove the lens and put the camera into manual sensor-cleaning mode. The mirror will swing up and the curtain shutter will slide open. If something large enough to cause that shadow is in there, you're going to see it.
4) something is inside the lens (very unlikely). If you think there's something loose inside the lens, just remove the lens from the camera and look through it with the front and rear caps removed. Canon lenses always park the aperture blades in the retracted position so it's really easy to see through them.

$issue.jpg

This was the issues I was having. See how it is a straight line, I am not expert but it looks you have something be it a hand, strap or something blocking the flash. Were you using a lens hood?

Here's my uneducated guess that's worth exactly what you are paying for it, lol.

Since you say your dogs were only three feet away from you I am assuming you are using a wide angle lens (also from the distortion in the white railing in one of the shots) to take the pictures. When shooting a really wide angle, sometimes you can get too close and the flash will shoot over the top of your subject, or as I suspect may be the case here, be blocked by the lens hood. The odd shapes are probably from the light hitting the petals on the hood giving you shaped shadows. If it's a zoom lens try zooming in to see if it goes away or leave the setting where it is and try to bounce the flash in off a reflector above so the light comes from a different direction.

No way...... your daughter has a much cooler hat than the OP. lol

Take another 200 pictures in one sitting, be EXTRA careful you're not obstructing it with anything. If some photos still have this, you take it to the repairs. The warranty will cover it (if you bought it new from a store).

I had a similar issue on my twins birthday on Monday. My on board flash was casting a cresent moon shaped shadow at the bottom of the frame due to my Canon 17 - 55 mm efs being to big. I will get a picture up after work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back