What are you looking forward to most about the A99?

Bottom line is: Does the Sony A77 or A99 have innovative features that permit a good photographer to get great shots that are not possible with any other camera in the same price range?

skieur

Answer: Nope!

OH, then please explain. Many Sony types see that the same features on Canon or Nikon cost as much as 5X more.

skieur

I hope it has two things. EVFer and an articulating screen. Oh yeah a better dust removal system. I have a new D800 and haven't even used it. My Sony cameras do fine. I like the a850 because I don't need to read a 410 page manual to use it. I didn't use 3200iso when i shoot film and I still rarely need high ISO.

I'd lock it in a basement and burn it with lit cigarettes for being such an over-hyped, bad camera. I'm just kidding.

I just don't like the ergonomics of the Sony DSLRs. I used the A100 (I think that's one of their first DSLRs?) when I worked for a newspaper in high school, and it felt clunky in my hands. The dials were clunky. The AF had that stupid eye-focus thing and would constantly refocus even in one-shot, and the colors were sooooo warm and inaccurate.

They've probably changed and gotten better, but those experiences with that camera turned me off to Sony DSLRs forever. :(

Bottom line is: Does the Sony A77 or A99 have innovative features that permit a good photographer to get great shots that are not possible with any other camera in the same price range?

skieur

OH, then please explain. Many Sony types see that the same features on Canon or Nikon cost as much as 5X more.

skieur

And many Canon and Nikon types see the opposite. Less features in an inferior package.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, you're not going to win the war. Nobody is going to win the war. Maybe we should stop this before it turns into a childish flamewar and go take pictures instead of oggling over the EVF or rolling or eyes at it. Let's not seem mentally damaged, please.

Sony has came a long way since the a100. As old as my a850 is it still focuses quicker than my new D800 and 17-35mm in low light. If you stay 1600iso and below there really isn't a bad camera out there. New that is. Personally I find the simplicity of the Sony menus easier than any camera I have owned. The Sony full frames are built to be a lower cost way to be full frame. More money for glass. Plus that dang thing is built like a tank.
When I was shopping for a camera it never even crossed my mind to buy a Canon. I am not sure even why?
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...(brand2)/Sony/(appareil3)/216|0/(brand3)/Sony

Last edited:
cosmonaut said:
Sony has came a long way since the a100. As old as my a850 is it still focuses quicker than my new D800 and 17-35mm in low light. If you stay 1600iso and below there really isn't a bad camera out there. New that is. Personally I find the simplicity of the Sony menus easier than any camera I have owned. The Sony full frames are built to be a lower cost way to be full frame. More money for glass. Plus that dang thing is built like a tank.
When I was shopping for a camera it never even crossed my mind to buy a Canon. I am not sure even why?
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/629%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/604%7C0/(brand2)/Sony/(appareil3)/216%7C0/(brand3)/Sony

Ah yes, but the 1D IV is a lowly APS-H crop camera. ;)

Compare it with the 1DS III, which is full frame and 21 MP

cosmonaut said:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/629%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/604%7C0/(brand2)/Sony/(appareil3)/216%7C0/(brand3)/Sony

Ah yes, but the 1D IV is a lowly APS-H crop camera. ;)

Compare it with the 1DS III, which is full frame and 21 MP

The mark IV is all that and a bag of chips I assure you.

skieur

And many Canon and Nikon types see the opposite. Less features in an inferior package.

Regardless of whether it's true or not, you're not going to win the war. Nobody is going to win the war. Maybe we should stop this before it turns into a childish flamewar and go take pictures instead of oggling over the EVF or rolling or eyes at it. Let's not seem mentally damaged, please.

Word! More pics and less bitchin is a great Idea. here's a new shot I took with the bastard child sony camera. A580 and sigma 17-50 f2.8.

Less Clutter by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Nice. I havent made it to the zeiss level yet. One day. I got my eye on the 85mm f1.4.

skieur

skieur

There is nothing that the A77 offers over any other modern APS-C body that would make an otherwise impossible photo to capture, possible. Nothing else really to explain. And "Sony types" must have their heads in the clouds because there are many bodies available that are of similar cost and even cheaper that would allow a good photographer to capture any photo as well as he/she could with the A77.

I am wondering if Sony is going to end up abandoning the a99 and SLR format entirely. I have a feeling that it will be a full frame NEX - perhaps shipped with an a-mount adapter with SLT phase detection.

skieur

There is nothing that the A77 offers over any other modern APS-C body that would make an otherwise impossible photo to capture, possible. Nothing else really to explain. And "Sony types" must have their heads in the clouds because there are many bodies available that are of similar cost and even cheaper that would allow a good photographer to capture any photo as well as he/she could with the A77.

You answered the question backwards. What makes the other brands that cost more better? Like, why would your d7000 be better then my a580?

Most reactions

Back