What are you reading?

I just finished Ready Player One & Armada by Ernest Cline. both good rp1 better; hope the movie is just as good.

a history book - The Holy Roman Empire. It is quite a dense book (which I like) and has taken me two months so far.

a history book - The Holy Roman Empire. It is quite a dense book (which I like) and has taken me two months so far.
Ayuh!

I read one like that last year. It was very informative, and well written, but the subject matter was very deep, requiring intense concentration. Furthermore, the layout was vexing, being on wide pages. Since I like to read by vertical scanning, I could not enjoy that book because I had to read it zig-zag style. Pain in the patootie.

The Martian - by Andy Weir.
Tight story and fun read.
Oh, I envy you! :) Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pay attention to the last couple of paragraphs of the novel. I can't recall them verbatim, but I do recall the overwhelming positive vibe of them. Kinda nice right now.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's in my TBR stack.
Thoroughly happy with the book. Highly recommend it! Finished it a little over a week ago.

And now I'm reading The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. Really just reading this because I wanted something more lighthearted after Kite Runner.

This is the second Phaedra Patrick book I've read. Apparently, this is her first novel, the other one I read was her second novel (Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone). Both books are very similarly written.

It's good so far, but I have some complaints. I'm terribly confused at what decade we're in: "young people" dress and listen to music like they're from the 1980's, oh, except for that one guy that was wearing a "Killers" t-shirt. Then the characters use cell phones that can "look information up on them". So, are we 80's or 2010's? It was published in 2016, so I figured it's set in early 2010's. Granted, it does take place in the UK, and some of the things the young people wear in the show "Doc Martin" kill me. Ok, so maybe I have a problem with UK fashion trends. But seriously, teenagers singing Madonna and knowing who MC Hammer is? Come on, I know a few 20-year-olds who would barely know Madonna and MC Hammer. They'd probably say, "oh, you mean that old blonde singer and the guy from those commercials?" Then the one kid that's very goth and listening to hard rock music... umm... 90's?

Yes, 80's/90's fashion is coming back (and is already back in many cases), and while music may have influence from these decades, teenagers are not actually listening to music from these decades. Big difference. :p

In addition, things are little cliched and contrived. I almost feel like I'm reading a Hallmark movie--considering all of the bad things that could have happened thus far but have turned out happily. Ok, I guess that's what I wanted, so maybe I'm just complaining about nothing.

Actually, no, I am complaining about something. The premise is really interesting, and it definitely could have been something very interesting. I think that is the frustrating part of this book. It's a good idea, but poorly executed. I think she should have let it marinate a little more in her head, and definitely done more research. Actually go to some of the places she's writing about. For example, when the main character goes into London for the first time, he's met with lots of people, hustle and bustle, noises, etc. Yeah, that's every major city in the world. "He went to all the major sites." Come on, give me something; WHERE IS THE DETAIL? The detail is extremely lacking, and my takeaway question is: has the author ever been to London, let alone a major city?

Or, is this regurgitated thoughts from watching movies. Sorry, that's harsh. I just want more details that she's not giving me. I don't mean to berate the book or the author. I am enjoying it for what it is--something light and fluffy.

PS... too many people are putting food in their pockets to save for later. Someone put a pancake in their pocket?
Sounds like the writer dialed it in, and you're noticing it. I get annoyed too, when I perceive a writer has just tossed one out for money. Or felt pressure, perhaps, from a contractual obligation, and wrote carelessly. Boo, I say!

Pay attention to the last couple of paragraphs of the novel. I can't recall them verbatim, but I do recall the overwhelming positive vibe of them. Kinda nice right now.
I'll do that. Yep, the main character is competent & smart, a nice break from the con artist that's regularly in the news these days.
I'm at the Sol 119 log entry so I've got a ways to go yet. I laugh out loud often because of the wit of the main character - Mark Watney.

I'll do that. Yep, the main character is competent & smart, a nice break from the con artist that's regularly in the news these days.
I'm at the Sol 119 log entry so I've got a ways to go yet. I laugh out loud often because of the wit of the main character - Mark Watney.
If you like that, then you'd likely enjoy the writing style of John Scalzi. Start with Old Man's War and, if that hits you right you're in luck because he's written an ongoing series of them. Kind of Robert Heinlein-ish, except with better dialog (IMO) and really strong female characters. I approve. :icon_mrgreen:

I do love me some WEB Griffin!
1520468738905.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've read that whole series "The Corps", W.E.B. Griffin at some of his finest.

“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.”

― Plato

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor. Not what I would normally read but I suffer from insomnia and the other night, about 2 am, I was awake and bored and had nothing to hand to read that did not require concentration so I borrowed Bestbeloved's book. It is excellent even if not actually about anything - no plot that I could discern - but that does not distract from it in the slightest.

"True Blue" by David Baldacci, definitely not his best work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back