What are your plans for 2014? (Nikon Related)

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I totally just trashed my new years resolution by eating a large chicken salad sandwich from Firehouse subs for lunch today..

So... with that out of the way i can now think about my photography goals for 2014!

My goals:
I THINK i'll finally upgrade my 70-200 VR1 to the VRII.
I WILL sell my Nikon 18-200 this year (i think i said that last year).
I WILL finally get around to reverse mounting my 50mm and playing with Macro.
I WILL get around to taking the pictures of old Union Pacific trains my wife wants.
I WILL take more automotive pictures.
I WILL NOT let my wife talk me into doing pet portraits for her friends.

and once my oldest son ends his last High School football session this year i WILL move to full frame.

What do you guys want out of 2014?

Interesting set of goals. I haven't really set any goals other than to improve, however there is one thing that I want to accomplish and that is upgrade my camera body. This will most likely take me all year and probably be a Christmas present, but I'll keep improving until I need instead of want.

Got a nikon d7100 recently. I have been busy. I hope to really use it in 2014

I totally just trashed my new years resolution by eating a large chicken salad sandwich from Firehouse subs for lunch today..

So... with that out of the way i can now think about my photography goals for 2014!

My goals:
I THINK i'll finally upgrade my 70-200 VR1 to the VRII.
I WILL sell my Nikon 18-200 this year (i think i said that last year).
I WILL finally get around to reverse mounting my 50mm and playing with Macro.
I WILL get around to taking the pictures of old Union Pacific trains my wife wants.
I WILL take more automotive pictures.
I WILL NOT let my wife talk me into doing pet portraits for her friends.

and once my oldest son ends his last High School football session this year i WILL move to full frame.

What do you guys want out of 2014?

I THINK I'll buy your 70-200 VR1 if you upgrade.
I will be buying a Nikkor 17-55 f2.8
I want to learn much more on artificial lighting.
and most of all I just want to shoot more!

I want to get around to totally micro-adjusting the focus on all my lenses, with actual notes on paper and some good data. Low priority, but it's a thought I've had more and more.

I dunno...hmmm...I guess I have not thought too much about this.

I want to get around to totally micro-adjusting the focus on all my lenses, with actual notes on paper and some good data. Low priority, but it's a thought I've had more and more.

Derrel.. Have you looked into FocusTune? Its $40... but oh-so-nice when you want to tweak all your lens adjustments. I've used it since it was in beta and its a fun 'camera nerd' tool :)
FocusTune

Got a nikon d7100 recently. I have been busy. I hope to really use it in 2014
Pretty much where I am standing.

Got my D7100 few months ago, plan on using it as much as possible on 2014.

As for lenses or accessories I got all I need at the moment but if any need to new stuff will come up I am sure I will get it :)

Equipment wise? Well I'll be saving up for a D7100, with the proviso of course that if I run across a killer deal on a 500 mm zoom I'll most likely snag it first. Been very, very happy with the 70-200 mm F/2.8. in fact so much so that I'm no longer 100% certain if I'll be keeping my 70-300 mm Nikkor - it's been an amazing lens for me but it hasn't come out of the bag since I got the Sigma. Not sure on that one though, probably put that on the back burner for now and wait for the "newness" factor to wear off on the 70-200 mm before I make any decisions.

Since I plan on doing some more portrait work this year I'll probably be looking into getting a nifty fifty and maybe another prime or two, haven't really decided yet if I'll do that before I upgrade the body or after, sort of playing that by ear. I did snag an RS-5 BlackRapid cargo strap a few days ago from Ebay, I like the RS-7 I have but decided it would be nice to have something with some more dedicated cargo space. I also took the plunge and bought a battery grip for the D5100, I've found myself shooting more and more vertical lately and I thought it would be worth a couple of bucks for the vertical shutter button.

Other than that I just plan on getting out as much as I can and taking pictures, trying to improve my skills and capture a little bit better images with each outing.

Become a world-renowned Bird Photographer and travel the country with the likes of Kristofer Rowe and Tony Northrup, doing bird photography while people clamor for my limited-edition prints.

Should THAT not happen, for some totally inexplicable reason, then I guess I'd have to drop back and punt, and go with Plan B. :D

1. Learn more about portrait work and become more comfortable doing it.
2. Learn to use my flash better.
3. Get back to some more macro and abstract stuff, in addition to birds.
4. Figure out my photo management/backup issues.
5. (Probably) get a dedicated website for my best work.
6. Put out some feelers towards eventually having a gallery showing somewhere.
7. Improve the photos of birds I've already gotten from the 1 Year, 100 Birds project this past year, and get 50 additional NEW birds.

In terms of gear:
1. I'll probably buy the Tamron 150-600 if initial reviews are good, and sell my Sigma 150-500.
2. The other lens I really want to acquire this year is a 70-200 f/2.8, probably the Sigma version.
3. Add another flash to my equipment.
That's all I'm really planning on, gear wise, but if I end up getting more insurance settlement money than I'm expecting or something, then I'd possibly also upgrade to a D7100 and/or buy a wider lens, not sure which lens I'd be looking at, though.

Become a world-renowned Bird Photographer and travel the country with the likes of Kristofer Rowe and Tony Northrup, doing bird photography while people clamor for my limited-edition prints.

Should THAT not happen, for some totally inexplicable reason, then I guess I'd have to drop back and punt, and go with Plan B. :D

So is there like a pre-clamor list we can sign up for? Also is this like one of those deals at best buy when the new gaming system goes up for sale that we have to wear Jedi costumes in line? Lol

In terms of gear:
1. I'll probably buy the Tamron 150-600 if initial reviews are good, and sell my Sigma 150-500.
2. The other lens I really want to acquire this year is a 70-200 f/2.8, probably the Sigma version.
3. Add another flash to my equipment.
That's all I'm really planning on, gear wise, but if I end up getting more insurance settlement money than I'm expecting or something, then I'd possibly also upgrade to a D7100 and/or buy a wider lens, not sure which lens I'd be looking at, though.

The only thing that was a little strange on the Sigma F/2.8 70-200 mm was that the zoom ring is backwards - took me a couple of minutes to get used to it but after that, boy I just love that lens. I got the OS version, was worth every penny I paid for it. I have little doubt the Nikkor VR I and VR II would probably be "better" lenses, but as far as bang for the buck the Sigma just wasn't a deal I could pass up. I'm also interested in seeing the Tamron 600 mm, depending on the price and reviews I might have to put that one my wish list for the coming year.

I JUST bought two new cameras (well the d600 is actually refurbished, but when I got it ,it had ZERO actuations on it!) within the last 8 months so I feel it would be silly to buy any new camera anytime within the next few years unless I just have money to blow for to reason (which is highly unlikely).

So my short term goals are:
Make enough money off the things I sell (that I use my camera to take pictures of) to pay myself back for the camera/s

Make good use of my camera to continue taking professional quality photos of my kids (already have done that this year ) so I can continue to feel the satisfaction of not having to pay someone else when I'm happier with the ones I take.

Read up on Macro photography ,and buy my first macro lens

Read up on how to fine tune my lenses with my camera

Keep practicing on other people with the portraiture photos

*maybe* sell my Nikon D7100 ,depending if I think I don't need it for macro (?)

Long term goals:

learn how to edit using photo shop
Learn how to edit pictures for HDR (not everything, just some for fun )
To get a new computer ,my existing one is almost outdated.
To get my monitor calibrated, and learn how to even do that (can't afford to buy anything right now for that though)

Very longterm goal:
To do professional natural (home) birthing & newborn photography for pay and for charity too.
To do pet photography

Buy the "soon to be announced" D400

My goal is to capture an Osprey flying ((((WITH A DOGGONE FISH)))) Thanks Kristofer/Krsinct/Ospreyman/Coastalconn/lay on the ground to get great shots etc. dude! Right Sharon? :lmao:

I like D-mans idea about fine tuning all of his lenses. However, my 60d does not have that capability - 7D Mk II where are youuuuuuu?????

Derrel.. Have you looked into FocusTune? Its $40... but oh-so-nice when you want to tweak all your lens adjustments. I've used it since it was in beta and its a fun 'camera nerd' tool :)
FocusTune

No, I had not really looked into that, but it sure does look like it might make the task easier and less onerous for me! Thanks for the link. Now all I need is one of those round tuit thingies...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back