What are your plans for 2014? (Nikon Related)

Nope, the D800 has the equivalent of 15.4 MP on a DX sized sonsor where the D7100 packs in 24. I think a FF camera with the pixel density of the D7100 would be around 54 mp. That's why I'm still a big fan of DX it can in theory record more detail if you have a lens that allows it...

Its not an equivalent at all, 36MP from a D800 is going to be better than 24mp in a D7100. For several reasons, primarily.

Surface area of the sensor: Much larger on a D800

Pixel Pitch : better on the D800

Pixel Area: The D800 has larger pixels which gather light better and equate to a better signal to noise ratio. '

I would much rather have the D800 over the D7100 . Both are a fantasy for me right now in any event. However the D800 has it where it counts. More pixels do not mean better necessarily in any event.
You totally missed my point I was talking about pure pixel density to answer BCSteve.

You are obviously not a birder, I will take smaller less light gathering pixel that I can crop more any day.
This simple sparrow shot was cropped down to 1735x2690 (4.6mp) from my D7100... On a D800 I would have been left with 1388x2152 (3mp) This would affect print size by 50%... Just saying...

House Sparrow in the sun by krisinct, on Flickr

Just get better and catch some amazing shots. I want a shot of the eagles that live near us.. Never seen them.

I seem to have the equipment that I want so now I just need to learn how to make better photographs.
So my goals are simple

1 - learn better portraiture
2 - make a few trips to waterfalls/ lighthouses, birds and other interesting locations
3 - drastically improve my astrophotography and figure out my magnification equipment
4 - stop feeling like I need to replace my 85/1.8D with the 1.4D or 1.8G every time I read Derrel talking about them
5 - try to find more time to enjoy photography more :)

Well firstly I want to get back into macro, but usually I have to wait till easter before the insects come out to play! In terms of kit, I plan to save my money this year and hopefully purchse the Nikon 16-35mm f4 lens, which I've had my eye on for over a year now, from the its full frame when I can afford!

I was planning to buy my first DSLR which will most likely be a Nikon :)

On a slightly related note, what periods of the year do new cameras usually come out? I'd hate buying a D7100 and have the D7200 come out just a few weeks later..

On a slightly related note, what periods of the year do new cameras usually come out? I'd hate buying a D7100 and have the D7200 come out just a few weeks later..

Murphy's Law rules here. A new replacement camera is announced about 30 seconds after you buy that new camera. :)

Every 2 years seems to be a cycle ...
You can also peruse this website for future rumors Nikon Rumors

Last edited:

If you are buying a camera, add about 18 months onto the release date and thats the soonest a new one will be released, it can often be 2 years. The only real exception is the D610 which is because the D600 had some flaws with the mechanism

Nope, the D800 has the equivalent of 15.4 MP on a DX sized sonsor where the D7100 packs in 24. I think a FF camera with the pixel density of the D7100 would be around 54 mp. That's why I'm still a big fan of DX it can in theory record more detail if you have a lens that allows it...

Its not an equivalent at all, 36MP from a D800 is going to be better than 24mp in a D7100. For several reasons, primarily.

Surface area of the sensor: Much larger on a D800

Pixel Pitch : better on the D800

Pixel Area: The D800 has larger pixels which gather light better and equate to a better signal to noise ratio. '

I would much rather have the D800 over the D7100 . Both are a fantasy for me right now in any event. However the D800 has it where it counts. More pixels do not mean better necessarily in any event.
You totally missed my point I was talking about pure pixel density to answer BCSteve.

You are obviously not a birder, I will take smaller less light gathering pixel that I can crop more any day.
This simple sparrow shot was cropped down to 1735x2690 (4.6mp) from my D7100... On a D800 I would have been left with 1388x2152 (3mp) This would affect print size by 50%... Just saying...

House Sparrow in the sun by krisinct, on Flickr

good to know, so the pixel density of the D800 is about equivalent to my D7000.

and about SamSpade's comments, when it comes to birds and other wildlife, more pixels sometimes can make a huge difference. I've got enough pictures that I love that are fairly heavily cropped, and look great online but are too small to print well. It would be nice to fill the frame every time, but with some subjects you really can't get any closer. Either you'll scare them away or, with the larger animals, not birds, scare them into defending themselves!

Sure would be nice if I could just take my camera into the shop and get a new sensor put in ...

What do you guys want out of 2014?

Wife to get preggo so I have a legit reason to upgrade to a body with a better AF.

I'd also like to pick up a 85mm 1.8G, Tokina 11-16mm II, and a Tamron 70-200mm VC Di... But probably only going to be one of those lenses.

I will..
be published again.
Not break any more equipment.
purchase a 300mm f4.
purchase a 1.4 Tele
Shoot a pro football game
Shoot more skateboarding as well.
Get MUCH better!!!!!

My goals for 2014!

I will..
be published again.
Not break any more equipment.
purchase a 300mm f4.
purchase a 1.4 Tele
Shoot a pro football game
Shoot more skateboarding as well.
Get MUCH better!!!!!

My goals for 2014!

AHH I've been wanting that 300mm f4 for ages, I met someone with one some time and it's a really nice lens! I hope they release a new one soon so that it gets cheaper though

Wife to get preggo so I have a legit reason to upgrade to a body with a better AF............

I could say something here, and refer to Sigmund Freud,............ but I won't. ;)

AHH I've been wanting that 300mm f4 for ages, I met someone with one some time and it's a really nice lens! I hope they release a new one soon so that it gets cheaper though
Um, nope ? They wont release a new 300mm f4 soon ? At least not that I heard of.

What they will release is a new 300mm f4 *VR* - and that one will of course be *more* expensive than the version without VR, not cheaper.

Besides, when did Nikon (or any other camera company) *ever* release a new lens that was *cheaper* than the precedessor ?!?!?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back