What are your top 5 pieces of equipment...

Not many minimalists here, I see. Hehehe. Everyone wants a cabinet full of stuff, and to pick the ideal stuff for the job. Makes sense, if you have the cabinet full of stuff. I just wonder how many of us do? How many of the top class photos are made by these folks, vs. those with a humble 1 lens setup and a good set of legs?

usayit: that Leica setup sounds great. Rangefinders are great for most of what we want to do with a camera. The only thing you're forgetting about the M6 vs. M8 is film. After shooting digital for a while, I'd forgotten how bulky film is. Much more bulky than batteries & memory, especially for a long stay in Europe. I see from your posts that you're big on the monopod. What are the pros & cons of it vs. a tripod or no 'pod at all? It seems to me they'd be good for stabilizing the up-down aspect, but not the side-side aspect.

gryphonslair: Not a big fan of not having the perfect piece of equipment, I see. Do you have all that equipment you mentioned in Post #24? If so, that is GREAT. It is nice that you have the choice. If not, what have you chosen for yourself? If not, I assume you'd just rent something if you were going to have a special photo trip?

Yes I do own all of the equipment I listed. As for not being a fan of the perfect equipment, that is your issue to deal with not mine.

I'm not a golf fan so I own no clubs.
I'm not a video game fan so I own no games, consoles, air guitars etc.
I don't collect stamps,coins, potter, etc.

Photography is my one hobby. I pursue tha hobby to it's fullest with no qualms or regrets. You asked a question with very wide peramaters when you wanted tight results for what ever reason you had.

Not many minimalists here, I see. Hehehe. Everyone wants a cabinet full of stuff, and to pick the ideal stuff for the job. Makes sense, if you have the cabinet full of stuff. I just wonder how many of us do? How many of the top class photos are made by these folks, vs. those with a humble 1 lens setup and a good set of legs?

I thoroughly believe that many of us are probably better equipped than the majority of professional photographers. Its the difference between a budget for enjoyment and a budget for business that has to be tied to cash flow. Now there are pros out there with $100k worth of equipment at their disposal but they are generally purchased/owned by the company they are working for and they are by far a rarity compared to the total population earning a living from photography.

One interesting example is Magnum photographer, Alex Majoli. He is well known, published photographer working for the very prestigious Magnum agency. He shoots many of his assignments with P&S cameras.

Magnumphotos

Rob Galbraith DPI: Alex Majoli points and shoots

usayit: that Leica setup sounds great. Rangefinders are great for most of what we want to do with a camera. The only thing you're forgetting about the M6 vs. M8 is film. After shooting digital for a while, I'd forgotten how bulky film is. Much more bulky than batteries & memory, especially for a long stay in Europe.

You have a very good point. Its been a while since I've taken such an excursion (prior to buying an M8) but back then it was still easy to find film on sale all over the world. Power on the other hand, was difficult to find at times... I recall having many difficulties with anything that ran on batteries but my trusty mechanical cameras never gave up. I guess I still have the notion that simple mechanical cameras are less prone to failure to electronics in all sorts of environments. (I'm thinking cars and computers versus paper as well) As much as I like my M8, I do notice more frequent reports of failures than those still shooting with M3, M6, and M7 film cameras. I guess this is going back to the R&D budget of Canon/Nikon versus the little Leica.

I see from your posts that you're big on the monopod. What are the pros & cons of it vs. a tripod or no 'pod at all? It seems to me they'd be good for stabilizing the up-down aspect, but not the side-side aspect.

Monopod is obviously lighter (Mine is 11.6 oz!!! a few more ounces for the smallest ballhead gitzo makes). It takes practice but I can definitely see the difference between shooting with versus without even for wide angle shots. Further more, you have to think of it in addition to other things.... like:

* while leaning against a fence or post etc... is practically as good as a tripod.
* two sticks + bongo straps == tripod
* Fence or post + bongo straps == tripod
* legs full extended shoulder length apart + monopod slightly forward == tripod (well closer)

etc...

You have to also consider that a monopod is faster to setup and easier to use where there might be more foot traffic around you.

For me, I at times will use it to stabilize myself as I walk over unsteady ground. I have ankles that have suffered an old injury that make me prone to falling. WARNING.. be wary that monopods are not meant to carry your full weight. If I plan on hiking, I have a gitzo walking stick which is far more capable for this but not as compact.

Also there is a distinction between someone who has a cabinet full of equipment but chooses a minimal carry list very carefully. I'd still consider those minimalists. Iron used to walk around NYC with a single lens but he also has a rather large collection of expensive equipment at his disposal.

I used to see all these photogs sweating and huffing with these huge bags. Here's mine:

2640d1263047173-whats-your-camera-bag-p1010790.jpg

Still very capable and fits me... (rather me forcing myself to "fit" the camera).

[EDIT]

Question for you Jeremy. Which do you consider a minimalist?

photogA with SLR and two primes

or

photogB with SLR and two zooms that cover 14-400mm focal lengths

Last edited:
1.) Nikon D300 Body
2.) SB600 Flash
3.) Another SB600 Flash
4.) Softbox Umbrella
5.) Reflector/Diffusion Combo

l
o
l