what calibration device should i get?

It depends to what extent you intend to match prints. Lets face it most of us get an IPS screen, calibrate it and be done with it. But comparing an image which is lit by a light to an image that is self luminescent (like a monitor) is very difficult. To do this you typically need a setup like this: http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/uploads/monitor2.jpg It's the setup for the pedantic. You won't notice any difference in the print unless you look at the print right next to the screen.

Why does the room brightness affect your monitor? Have you ever worn yellow sunglasses? What happens when you take the sunglasses off? You see the world in shades of blue until your eyes adjust. That's the key part. Your eyes should adjust to the monitor and NOT to the ambient light in the room. To do this the room must be reasonably dark. If your eyes adjust to the room then you may introduce a colour cast in your photos as you correct their white balance not realising your monitor won't ever show a neutral grey because your eyes think it's more orange / blue than it really is.

What I suggest for your purposes, get a popular colour calibration tool. If you're going to use a lab then a basic one that calibrates monitors is all you need. Go through and calibrate the monitor leaving all settings at default (except maybe white balance which you should adjust to taste, or if your monitor is really bright compared to the room consider setting this at "monitor default"), this process generates a profile for your monitor. Then go to the website of your printing lab of choice and find an area to download their colour profile. Then softproof that colour profile. This means that your display will show your image under the constraints of what the printer is capable of printing. There's a heap of guides to be found for this step: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=soft+proofing+photoshop+filetype:pdf

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if not for this Web site

Learn the hard way. Fail. Get depressed. Throw camera in the cupboard. Take up drinking. Question life. Consider alternatives to live. Find yourself strolling through the city of Paris in a black trench coat in the rain. See from the corner of your eye a girl smiling happily as she takes a photo. Get camera from cupboard and give it a click for old times sake. Fall in love with your hobby again. Get frustrated. Google the problem. End up at this website anyway.

We've all been there, her name was Emma.

Garbz said:
Learn the hard way. Fail. Get depressed. Throw camera in the cupboard. Take up drinking. Question life. Consider alternatives to live. Find yourself strolling through the city of Paris in a black trench coat in the rain. See from the corner of your eye a girl smiling happily as she takes a photo. Get camera from cupboard and give it a click for old times sake. Fall in love with your hobby again. Get frustrated. Google the problem. End up at this website anyway.

We've all been there, her name was Emma.

In my case her name is Fiona. I got her pregnant, married her and bought a house, meanwhile my camera got forgotten as well as my hobby. 3 years later We are settled down and I have decided to take up the hobby

Just adding... I also have an ultrasharp by dell... Turn the sharpness down to about 50%! You'll find you get back prints that are soft if you don't!

Garbz is god on this stuff. :)

A lot of us had to figure all this out years ago when a lot of this information wasn't as readily available on the internet as it is today.

In sifting through a wide variety of various sources for the bits and pieces of the information, we discovered by serendipity things we didn't know we didn't know.

Those today that rely solely on being spoon fed information in forums like this, miss out on stumbling across information they don't know they don't know, and wind up with disconnects in their knowledge.

KmH said:
A lot of us had to figure all this out years ago when a lot of this information wasn't as readily available on the internet as it is today.

In sifting through a wide variety of various sources for the bits and pieces of the information, we discovered by serendipity things we didn't know we didn't know.

Those today that rely solely on being spoon fed information in forums like this, miss out on stumbling across information they don't know they don't know, and wind up with disconnects in their knowledge.

Well if there's another way to obtain this information I will gladly use it but seeing as I don't have the internet I'll just keep using the TPF app on my Android phone to get the

Nah forums are for old folk to moan publicly about how the kids won't get off the lawn. :eek:ldman:

The forum is for making the forum owners money from all the advertising.

The forum's primary users are the guests (non-members). There are currently 1599 users online. 102 members and 1497 guests

But, it works if you don't mind the big gaps in your knowledge.

Last edited:
Just adding... I also have an ultrasharp by dell... Turn the sharpness down to about 50%! You'll find you get back prints that are soft if you don't!

MLeek, can I ask which monitor you have? I just received my new computer today and with it I purchased the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M, which is an IPS monitor that is a good value for the money but not a $1,000 screen.

Missed this the first time, there's only one correct setting for sharpness and it can be determined by a visual gamma test. Here's the test pattern for sharpness: Sharpness - Lagom LCD test

Most reactions

Back