What camera? $7000.

Make it the big four. Samsung is going to come out with a FF and Pentax will follow. As more and more people buy DSLRs there is more and more money thrown into the game, more players are going to play.

A buddy of mine used to work for Olympus. He just got poached by Samsung as the national technical advisor here in Sydney in the digital camera department. He is very excited by what samsung are bringing to the table. Didnt go into detail, but they are going to make their mark in the digital camera market according to him. Plus I get everything at cost now, whoo hoo.

:wink:The only time Im going to spend 7K on a camera is when I just got paid upfront for a job thats netting me 75K....

Actually, id just rent unless im using it every other week.

Translate that into standard business practice, thats a ridiculous operating cost unless your nailing those Budweiser commercials in cabo every week.
Or shooting 20K dollar weddings every weekend.

Is this why lots of photographers drive crappy 17 year old acuras like mine?
We dream about cameras we dont need... !!! lol

Im just messin

I think I'd pass on buying a camera. I would build a darkroom with that money, and if there's anything leftover, I'd get some lighting equipment.

Canon 5D and a whole bunch of L-glass. And I currently own a Sony A200, I have no intentions of switching, as it takes very nice pics, but if i had 7K for ONLY photo equip, id get the Canon.

Sony could make it the big TWO if they quit selling sensors to Nikon. ONLY the D3 uses nikon sensors, the rest are sony...

all I know is my sony let me take a decently clear picture, handheld at 70mm focal length at 1/8 second. I couldnt do that without the image stabilization...

Almost went for a digital rebel, but they feel like toys, are overpriced, and have a lower quality lens than the sony. Plus I got a A200 with kit lens, 55-200mm lens, spare battery and Sony Alpha case, all for $701 and some change after tax. That wouldnt have even got me a XTi with kit lens after tax around here. Minolta AF was the first auto-focus system. Nikon and canon followed, but most likely had more money to tout there systems. My dad has been overly pleased with his A100, and I have no doubt I will never NEED anything more than my A200. Im not sure I "needed" more than my canon S3 IS, but I missed the SLR-type camera. I was a canon boy...

Sony with some Zeiss gold lenses and Panasonic or Leica with Leica lenses.

skieur

Sony could make it the big TWO if they quit selling sensors to Nikon. ONLY the D3 uses nikon sensors, the rest are sony...

FACT: Sony isn't the only third party sensor manufacturer.

Nikon isn't gonna collapse if Sony quits selling them sensors.

all I know is my sony let me take a decently clear picture, handheld at 70mm focal length at 1/8 second. I couldnt do that without the image stabilization...

Olympus and Pentax have in-body IS too.

Minolta AF was the first auto-focus system.

While being a pioneer is always nice on the marketing sheets, that was back in 1985, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with today's digital SLRs. It's not even close to a valid argument for anything, and I don't even know what point you were trying to make here...

I would buy $7000 in two dollar bills.

Let's see...how many cases of Delta Pro would that buy?

Spend a few hundred on a good camera and some lightly used lenses, and the rest on books, classes and workshops.

Leica M6 TTL and a couple lenses would be fine with me.

a) I would use the cameras I have. Would buy lots of film (tri-x and pan f). Rest of the money would be spent on traveling.

b) Would buy a Leica M6 or M7, some CV lenses (50mm and 28mm), lots of film, and the rest of the money is for traveling.

Yeah, I go for the Hassy.

Naw, you'll likely sell it off and buy a "real" camera with the funds. I'd go the Sinar P route myself, but then again that's pretty much what I already did this year selling off unwanted bits.

erie

Last edited:
I would wait for the Sony Alpha A900... that will easily be the best camera when it comes out =] (for its price, which i think is around $3k)

I already posted here, but I think I would do this now:

Pro glass for when I won't be walking and carrying them too much time:

-CZ 24-70mm F/2.8 SSM = 1,800
-Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G SSM = 1,800 (or a CZ 85mm F/1.4 and the new sony flash XD)
---------------------------------------------------

Specialized glass, manual focus only, with the best bokeh available:

-Sony 135mm F/2.8 [T4.5] = 1,200
-Voigtländer 125mm F/2.5 Macro = 700
---------------------------------------------------

My workaround lenses, for when I need to walk and carrying them a lot:

-CZ 16-80 F/3.5-4.5 = 700
-Sony 70-300 F/4.5-5.6 G SSM = 800

Grand Total: 7,100, with SRP, which means that I should been able to buy them with the 7,000, otherwise, I just will ask 100 borrow, haha. XD

Which means that I would not buy an A900, if it's 2K maybe trading it for the 70-200G, but it's unlikely.

Sadly, this is ain't gonna happen anyway, hahaha.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back