What camera? $7000.

Only $7k? ( Hehehe I say that as if dollar devaluation hadn't occurred this century and a luxury automobile didn't used to cost under a grand! It used to be that you could start a farm with $7K. Anyway it's not much these days thanks to the evil bankers and their fractional reserve [rip-off] system. :madass: )

If that's all I had and I wanted a camera it would be either the D3 or the new D700, and 1 superbright zoom lens like about 70~500mm f/2 or 3. I already have most of the extras for an SLR/DSLR - flashes, filters, etc.

If I had a little bit more than that though and I really wanted to get into photography in a big way I'd buy some used factory equipment like a lens grinder, a milling machine, a lathe, and a few other tools. The first few prototypes would pay for all the equipment several times over - then I could afford some nice digital backs for the next batch. :D

Only $7k? ( Hehehe I say that as if dollar devaluation hadn't occurred this century and a luxury automobile didn't used to cost under a grand! It used to be that you could start a farm with $7K. Anyway it's not much these days thanks to the evil bankers and their fractional reserve [rip-off] system. :madass: )

If that's all I had and I wanted a camera it would be either the D3 or the new D700, and 1 superbright zoom lens like about 70~500mm f/2 or 3. I already have most of the extras for an SLR/DSLR - flashes, filters, etc.

If I had a little bit more than that though and I really wanted to get into photography in a big way I'd buy some used factory equipment like a lens grinder, a milling machine, a lathe, and a few other tools. The first few prototypes would pay for all the equipment several times over - then I could afford some nice digital backs for the next batch. :D

Now you're talking!! Did you hear about the new way they've found to make aluminum glass?

It's supposed to be much harder (scratch resistant) and better optically too.

I've pondered this idea too, it would be awesome to have the ability to make "New" glass. But I is so broke, that is nothing more than a fantasy for me.

Now you're talking!! Did you hear about the new way they've found to make aluminum glass?

It's supposed to be much harder (scratch resistant) and better optically too.

No, I haven't. Know of any interesting articles on the topic?

I've pondered this idea too, it would be awesome to have the ability to make "New" glass. But I is so broke, that is nothing more than a fantasy for me.

You can do it by hand! I did for a telescope once many years ago now. Of course after the 1st week I wished I had a machine! :D Body building just by employing some of the older technologies in new and creative ways is easier, less work, and fun. There's lots of books and on-line sites too. Here's one I just came across while I was looking for a picture of a factory floor where they make lenses: http://www.glennview.com/vcam.htm

Last edited:
For me I would get the following:

Canon 1d Mark III
Canon EOS 5D
3x 4GB memory cards
Sigma 150mm Macro
Canon MT24EX macro flash

I think I have few good lens I already own:
16-35mm F2.8 L
24-70mm f2.8 L
70-200mm f2.8 L IS
100-400mm f4-5.6 L IS
50mm f1.4

2 40Ds
100mm F/2.8 macro
MR-14 ringlite
3 speedlite 580ex's
stands for them
70-200mm F/2.8L IS (who wouldnt want that?)
135mm F/2L
16-35mm F/2.8L
50mm F/1.2L

This thread is loads of fun to read and think about. Coming up with that list made me realize that i really dont want/neeed THAT much. lol obviously 2 40Ds is just something to kick up the numbers. one would do justice. right now those are the things i desire. ill fill the order in the many years to come.

Hmm, interesting. Well, I love sports, so I'd probably actually buy a D300 and get some really (and I mean REALLY) nice glass. Kind of Nikon 10.5mm fisheye, Nikon 12-24 or Sigma 10-20, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and probably a 300 or 400mm prime.

*drools*

I would add a couple primes like the:
100mm 2.8 macro usm
50mm1.4
and maybe a 24-70 2.8L

to the:
20D
17-40 f4L
70-200 f4L
that i already have.

i would then use some of the remaining money that i have on some photog education to give me a good foundation to further build my skill set on. if with my new found knowledge i feel that i need more gear (ie. strobe stuff) or change/upgrade what i have i will then make the investment; if not i will enjoy what i have left :)

For me
something like <$2000 on a 5D body only
and theeeeen the rest on a canon 300mm f2.8 IS :)

That way I get a full frame body and a great 300mm prime lens!

Most reactions

Back