What camera for band promo photo?

DiskoJoe said:
I listed three above. Those are all in his price range.

Are you hallucinating? Neither the Leica m9 or the d800 are in his price range.

If the OP doesn't list a price range, that is one thing. But don't list cameras that the OP obviously can't afford. That's idiotic to say the least.

Op, I'd get an entry level canon or Nikon with an 85mm prime to do a promo shoot IMO. You will need to probably shoot outside, but its a great focal length for portraiture with a wide aperture to boot.

Rather than spends many hundreds of dollars buying a CAMERA that is capable of taking a great pic, I suggest you just hire a pro to take the pic (pix) for you.

You'll save money, and end up with better photos.

There is a learning curve for photography and for high quality cameras. You could get the kind of image you need from a point and shoot camera, in the right hands.

Even a hobbyist photographer can get what you need; lots of us could do it.

Why don't you post a want ad here or on Craiglist. If you're local to me, I'd be happy to do it for you for a very reasonable price.

By the way, some of the guys are messing with you here. Recommending very expensive cameras that are not user-friendly. Shame on them.

Rather than spends many hundreds of dollars buying a CAMERA that is capable of taking a great pic, I suggest you just hire a pro to take the pic (pix) for you.

There is a learning curve for photography and for high quality cameras. You could get the kind of image you need from a point and shoot camera, in the right hands.

Why don't you post a want ad here or on Craiglist. If you're local to me, I'd be happy to do it for you for a very reasonable price.

By the way, some of the guys are messing with you here. Recommending very expensive cameras that are not user-friendly. Shame on them.

Ahh.................Man, a sensible answer, and just when I was going to suggest the Head Banger 5000 with the toke and shoot lens.:lol:

Seriously, Cameras are not made to shoot bands or wedding, landscapes, cute children, etc. A camera is a tool, it is only as good as the person behind it. It's kind of like me. I have an fully original mint condition 1956 Fender Stratocaster. Doesn't mean that I can play in a band. Hell, I can't even play the guitar. Got it from a relative.

. I have an fully original mint condition 1956 Fender Stratocaster. Doesn't mean that I can play in a band. Hell, I can't even play the guitar. Got it from a relative.
You should take a picture of it and post it.. i LOVE guitars...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said......

Okay, maybe this is a much more advanced forum than I needed to go to. I am wanting a simple promo shot that will work for cover band gigs. The quality doesn't have to be superb, but I don't want it to be trashy either, and that's what my current point and shoot seems to give me. This is my other bands shot that was taken by us using the self timer on another members camera. I would be happy with something similar to this...

IMG_6484logo.jpg

Well then, I know a couple Apple stores where you can pick up an iPhone ;)

I'd recommend, as other have, that you just look into hiring a pro for a quick photoshoot.

Okay, maybe this is a much more advanced forum than I needed to go to. I am wanting a simple promo shot that will work for cover band gigs. The quality doesn't have to be superb, but I don't want it to be trashy either, and that's what my current point and shoot seems to give me. This is my other bands shot that was taken by us using the self timer on another members camera. I would be happy with something similar to this...
IMG_6484logo.jpg
What camera was this taken with. Perhaps it is what you should look at.

Outdoor photography in nice light, not too hard. To go on the cheap get a 50mm f/1.8 lens ($200) and an entry-level Nikon or Canon camera ($500-600) new or less for a used/refurbished D3100, D5100, D90 or a Canon Rebel. If you get the D90, you can get the old 50mm for around $120 new. Save another $60 for PS Elements and if you plan on indoor stuff, you be able to play around with the 50mm lens (pretty good indoors) or eventually get a flash (~$150-200). Good luck!

DiskoJoe said:

If the OP doesn't list a price range, that is one thing. But don't list cameras that the OP obviously can't afford. That's idiotic to say the least.

Op, I'd get an entry level canon or Nikon with an 85mm prime to do a promo shoot IMO. You will need to probably shoot outside, but its a great focal length for portraiture with a wide aperture to boot.

Think about this a little more. It will come to you.

and thanks for the suggestion about cmos over ccd. doing research on new motor now.

Last edited:
DiskoJoe, hopefully he will google your camera suggestions and the band promo's will be a mad success!

Hopefully he will realize Im just messing with him a little bit. At least I didnt tell him to buy zeiss lenses too. Tyler always has a field day with people doing that.

yes i saw quickly they were jokes lol. Thanks for all of the helpful comments and thanks ulrichsd for the suggestions, that helped a lot and I am going to look more into that.

Thanks for being a good sport. I was sure someone would give you decent advise. There are plenty of decent entry level motors out there. Picking a brand is probably the hardest choice because this will influence lots of future decisions on lenses. Personally I shoot Sony. One of the good things about it is that the stabilization is internal to the motor so lenses tend to cost less then with other brands where the lenses needs to have its own stabilization.

DiskoJoe said:

They could be if he steals one :lol:

Jeremy Z said:

I agree! Why spend that money for one event then still possibly end up with marginal photos. The learning curve might be a little longer than u think!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back