What's new

What camera should I get?

PhotoStarter

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to this whole photography world as well.
I'm looking for a camera that I can start with, but I don't have enough money for DSLR and lens, so I thought I'll start with a digital one.
I made a little research, and found out that the Canon SX20 IS is exactly match my needs.
Of course I've read good reviews and bad reviews. Most of them were good, and I thought I'm going to buy this camera for sure, but than a friend told me there is a new one - the Canon SX30 IS.
I found out this camera have a lot of new features, but poorer image quality.
I'm not sure which one should I go for, or maybe should I take other camera?
I can spend about 400$, but I can get a little more if its worth it.

Thank you
 
for 400. you can deffinetly get a used d40 or d60 (or the canon equivalent) with the kit lens
 
for 400. you can deffinetly get a used d40 or d60 (or the canon equivalent) with the kit lens
I don't think thats possible, I already searched for used 40d but the lowest I could find was 500$ +.
I found used one for 400$ but only body.. And the seller lives 4 hours away.
I couldn't even found anyone that sells used 60d. (In my country, at least)
Are there any other cheaper options?

Oh and thanks for the quick reply!
 
Ghache meant Nikon D40 and D60, not Canon EOS 40D and 60D. Just in case you search the wrong brand. In canon, you may look for EOS Rebel XTi (400D), XSi (450D) or XS (1000D).
 
Oh, okay, I'm sorry.
I'll try to look for used Nikon d40 than.

Thanks.

Edit:
How about the Canon 450D?
I think I read about it before, also I found a used one for 450$, is it worth it?
 
Last edited:
I have the Canon SX20 IS and it is a decent point and shoot, but I also have the Canon G12 and it one of the most amazing PS cameras I have ever seen!! The G12 costs about $499.00 most places and is well worth it.
 
For $400, I would not dive into the SLR deep waters.
The SX30 doesn't have poor image quality. It is an excellent camera.
Its nothing like a DLSR, but in compact camera world, it's as good as any other.
Of course, it offers the largest available zoom range, if that's what you're looking for.
Alternatives to the SX30 could be Fuji's HS10, Panazonic's FZ100 and Nikon's P100.
The Fuji is the closest you'll get to a DSLR "feel", as it zooms and focuses on the lens barrel itself, not by using a tiny button like all other cameras do.

If image quality is what you are after (should be), I would forget about the zoom of those monsters, and get Canon's best compact camera - the new G12.
In my opinion, that is the best camera you can get to practice photography
and to learn lighting, metering, ISO, aperture and shutter, without getting a DSLR.
 
Yep for point and shoot type learning photography would go with the Canon G12 or the Nikon P7000.

Still haven't done the nitty gritty on these two and both seemed to be close with Nikon having 7x optical zoom with ED glass compared to the 5x optical of the G12.

But that is just one advantage and many other things like Image IQ and Image IQ at higher ISO and speed of camera taking shots, dedicated controls and menu digging are also important consideration. For me haven't decided yet between the two yet as I like to raise the hood and pull out the engine and inspect everything type of person.
.
 
For $399 (same price as the Canon SX30 IS at Walmart.com), I'd get the Fuji HS10.

Fujifilm 10MP Digital Camera, 30x Optical Zoom, HS10 Black - Walmart.com

It has a 30x opitical zoom, but instead of the automatic power zoom like regular point and shoot camera's, it has a full manual zoom and full manual focus ring, just like a real DSLR body.

I have the Fuji S6000, I've had it for 3 years now, and it also has the full manual zoom and manual focus ring, and it's the camera that I started learning all the manual controls on. I recently upgraded to the Fuji HS10.

If you go the point and shoot route, I highly recommend the Fuji HS10.
 
well for 399.00 you can get a factory refurbished Sony A100 DSLR with 1 year factory warranty and kit lens
 
well for 399.00 you can get a factory refurbished Sony A100 DSLR with 1 year factory warranty and kit lens

^^ He ain't kidding.

I just checked Walmart.com and for $399 you can get the Sony A290 DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens:

Walmart.com: Sony Alpha A290 Black 14.2MP DSLR Camera Kit, 18-55mm Lens, 2.7" LCD: Digital Cameras

Or for $50 more at $448, you can get the A390 with the 18-55mm kit lens:

Walmart.com: Sony Alpha A390 Black 14.2MP DSLR Camera Kit, 18-55mm Zoom Lens, 2.7" LCD: Digital Cameras

I didn't know I could get a DSLR there for only $399 when I bought my newest camera (I use Walmart.com as an example, because I have a charge account and that's the only way I can afford anything, lol).

The only reason I didn't go the DSLR route with my latest purchase (my new HS10) is because I love taking photo's of wildlife and need a long zoom lens (720mm equivalent on the HS10) and couldn't afford a good telephoto lens for the DSLR right now on my salary. I've opened a savings and hopefully within about a year, I'd like to be able to purchase a Canon 7D MII, as I do plan to have a good DSLR one day to continue advancing my photography skills on.

So also take into account what you are photographing. If you need a long telephoto lens for wildlife, but can't afford one for the DSLR body, then a P&S with a long optical zoom may be the way to go.
 
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to this whole photography world as well.
I'm looking for a camera that I can start with, but I don't have enough money for DSLR and lens, so I thought I'll start with a digital one.
I made a little research, and found out that the Canon SX20 IS is exactly match my needs.
Of course I've read good reviews and bad reviews. Most of them were good, and I thought I'm going to buy this camera for sure, but than a friend told me there is a new one - the Canon SX30 IS.
I found out this camera have a lot of new features, but poorer image quality.
I'm not sure which one should I go for, or maybe should I take other camera?
I can spend about 400$, but I can get a little more if its worth it.

Thank you

I would highly recommend the Nikon Coolpix P100. Less than $400.

Very nice 26X zoom. CMOS instead of CCD for sensor.

You can examine it to your hearts content at your local Costco.

If you decide that you want to get one, order it online because it will be markedly *lower* than picking it up at the warehouse.
 
Last edited:
I would not spend $400 on a point and shoot if you don't have a dslr. Absolutely go buy a used Nikon D40, or D60 with the kit lens. That's what I started with.

That way you have the ability to add lenses and accessories around it, and then you can upgrade the camera body when it becomes your weakest link or you outgrow it.

Buying a point and shoot when you could get a dslr is like tying one hand behind your back.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom