What camera to buy?

valdicode

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello i'm a complete starter in buying a camera. I have no idea of the brands,models,types etc. What i need is a budget camera new or used that i can take decent pictures with it, night/day and record some decent videos. I'm not interested in crazy zooming but a basic zoom is fine to me. This is the type of photos i like View attachment 54875View attachment 54876. I will be glad if you could help me.

-Greg

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link to the image(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Greg. Any video enabled DSLR with a tripod will fit the bill. Sone of the newer Canon dslrs, such as the canon 700d come with an stm lens which will basically autofocus almost silent when shooting video. Many panasonic csc types will also do great video and nice stills. If you give a budget you will get better help here

Asking advise on buying a camera is like asking advise on what condoms to buy. Everyone is going to tell you to go with the Magnumn size with ridges for her pleasure.

Any of the major brands will have good points and bad points. Canon and Nikon are the industry leaders, but that doesn't mean that other brands won't fit you bill or do exactly what you want/need. What you need to do is define what that bill is. Any camera in experienced hands can be used to take great photos. Camera's don't take great photos, photographers do. Camera's just record what the photographer tells it to record.

Define what you want, Point and Shoot, Bridge Camera, Mirrorless or full blown DSLR. Then figure out what featurs you want/need. A good place to compare features is: Digital Photography Review You can compare camera bodies and lenses.

Go to a photography shop or if you need a big box store and look at the camera's and see what it is that interests you. Once you have an idea what you want, then start comparing camera's or systems to find the ones that fit your needs.

Finally look at the price point you want to stay within. Your decision is going to have to include compromise as there is no perfect camera or system. You have to decide what compromises you are willing to accept.

I would highly recommend finding a good entry level Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Sony DSLR used on Craigslist or somewhere you can get used cameras. My recommendation that I've simply taken from other people here (I wouldn't have thought of this myself, let's be honest here) is to plan on replacing it down the line, but get something that will have compatible with glass for your future wants/needs and when you inevitably upgrade camera bodies.

For $200 off of Craigslist, a DSLR with any kind of lens it going to be either very old technology, stolen or a robbery waiting to happen.

For $200 off of Craigslist, a DSLR with any kind of lens it going to be either very old technology, stolen or a robbery waiting to happen.

I guess the best solution is to visit a camera shop to test things.

I've seen some people put some very nice things on CL for cheap. That being said, I've also seen junk for $$$$$$$ too. I dunno, I figure it's worth a shot. Would you guys recommend an older DSLR, say like a 10 MP or so? 3-4 years old? Just trying to help Valdicode.

If you want to look for used then these are a couple of places you can trust:

Used SLR Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video

Canon Digital - Cameras, Lenses, Batteries & other Accessories - KEH.com

There is nothing wrong with old technology as long as you understand the limitations that the particular technology will give you. Frankly, the minute you buy the newest, latest, greatest, DSLR and walk out the store, it is old technology, or very soon to be. There are differences in old. I have two main bodies that I shoot. One is a 1DX the other is a 1D MkIV. The 1D MkIV is older technology, but is completely useful and will be for a while. A big difference though between it and say a 1D.

You also need to determine if you need a DSLR for what you are going to shoot.

Go out and look at what is out there and see what kind of camera fits your needs then start narrowing it down to particular models in your price range.

If I were in your shoes, I'd save another couple of hundred and then be in a position to buy something that might actually serve my needs for a few years.

After some research I've chose to get a compact camera. Any ideas for a 230$ budget for low light photos mostly?

Last edited:
I don't recommend Kodak because of personal experience with horrifying build quality etc. We had a Panasonic Lumix superzoom forever that served us well, even somewhat decently in low light. I've seen some good things on here about some of the Canon point-and-shoots. Hope this helps.

For a good entry level camera I would say get the Nikon D3200
If you don't want to mess around with changing lenses then the Canon G15 or G16 are excellent camera for your needs, excellent picture quality and good for night shots.

Most reactions

Back