WHAT CAMERA TO BUY...

indie snob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38070

i posted that a few days ago before i knew that the Nikon D50 does NOT have image stabilization. Is Image stabalization a real necessity to the point that i will regret not having it? If so, then what camera should i be getting? my price range has a ceiling of about $850 and that's if i buy the camera in a kit with a lense. (like most nikon D50's come with a 18-55mm lense) with that price, it gives me about 200 or so dollars to spend on various accessories like lense filters and maybe a flash for later when i get to know what i'm doing. but people i really need help on this.

WHAT CAMERA WITH WHAT LENSE DO I BUY FOR THAT PRICE?!?!

Some one correct me here, but I do believe it is not the camera that has Image Stabilization (Canon) or VR (VIbration Resistance.. bah.. got the last word wrong, but the same thing as IS in Canon, but Nikons). So I don't think you should rule out the D50 just for that reason.

Forgot to mention. I believe it is the lenses which are either IS or VR (?), and the camera has nothing to do with that.

Correct Image Stabilization would be built into the lens. Well at least it is on my Canon 28-135 IS lens.

Image stabilization is a lens thing, not a camera thing. I don't think any digital SLRs have image stabilization, and you shouldn't need it on a SLR because they are better that consumer cameras because of increased ISO speed capability as well more control over shutter speed and bigger lens aperatures

What they said. People have been taking photos with film for a few years now without image stabilisation; doing the same with a digital SLR can't be too difficult :)

The Minolta 5D has an anti-shake technology built into the camera, but it's the only one on the market that does. Nikon and Canon put that technology on the lens.

If you have trouble holding steady, get a tripod ;)

is there any advantage to having the image stabilization in the body vs. having it in the lense?

What camera do you use matt?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back