what can i do to Improve this pic.....?

It's not the equipment, it's about getting enough light. You need to either boost the ISO (you're at 800 and we've already established that for better image quality you want to go lower), or you need to open up the aperture to let in more light (you're at f/5 which is wide open for that lens), or you need to use a slower shutter speed (you're at 1/60th of a second which is pretty danged slow if the dog decides to move), or you need to get more light on the subject...

So... ISO is already higher than ideal... aperture is already wide open... and shutter speed is pretty slow... basically you need to get more light on the dog. Plus the flash on the camera is making the lighting really flat and... dull.

In order to get more light you can try to improvise (I used those workshop clamp lights before getting "real" lighting equipment), you can try to shoot outdoors, or you can shoot by a window with good sunlight spilling in. More light, lower ISO, faster shutter speed, narrower aperture are what's going to give you the photo that you're trying for; and it's wonderful that you're willing to work at this!

It is easy to nit pick a picture to death.
That first picture is a winner, frame it, the rest are not even close to being as good.

It's not the equipment, it's about getting enough light. You need to either boost the ISO (you're at 800 and we've already established that for better image quality you want to go lower), or you need to open up the aperture to let in more light (you're at f/5 which is wide open for that lens), or you need to use a slower shutter speed (you're at 1/60th of a second which is pretty danged slow if the dog decides to move), or you need to get more light on the subject...

So... ISO is already higher than ideal... aperture is already wide open... and shutter speed is pretty slow... basically you need to get more light on the dog. Plus the flash on the camera is making the lighting really flat and... dull.

In order to get more light you can try to improvise (I used those workshop clamp lights before getting "real" lighting equipment), you can try to shoot outdoors, or you can shoot by a window with good sunlight spilling in. More light, lower ISO, faster shutter speed, narrower aperture are what's going to give you the photo that you're trying for; and it's wonderful that you're willing to work at this!
thanks thanks... thats great info.. i will use my plant light ... spot light.. i so far like them all.. in their own way.. of course i love the subject.. but i am going to strive for perfection... because i am learning also... i love learning and thanks for taking the time out to show me... thanks again

It is easy to nit pick a picture to death.
That first picture is a winner, frame it, the rest are not even close to being as good.
yes but when your learning it is very important to nit pic.. because i am getting the drift of what to do for certain pics that i normally would not have given a thought ... striving to be better now that i have a DSLR.. but thanks..i like the first one too.. but i can see now all the things that would have made the picture even better..

hey defenitly an improvement with the BG but like HikinMike I will suggest that still need to work with the aperture on photos to get better focus on the dog Face. Something that you have to take in consideration in a Dog Portrait is that the dog nose is longer and it have a noticeable distance from the eyes in order to keep the whole face in focus you have to use smaller aperture like F8 F11 if your camera handle half stop aperture you can also use f 9.5. if you are going to use a flash that is an aperture that should work to illuminate the subject and dark your BG.

What I am telling you is that the picture is fine, print it and enjoy it.
Is it perfect....no....does it need to be perfect....no.

All of your subsequent attempts are far inferior to the first one, you are heading the wrong direction.

Before you do anything in photoshop, its good to start of a good quality capture. I see you are making good progress and learning through experimentation (which imo is the best way to learn). I can see a drastic need for some good lighting. I see that you are shooting at iSO 800 in order to obtain a fast enough shutter speed. Even then, you are pushing the shutter in terms of handholding and subject movement blur. On top of that, most of the light is falling on the left side of the histogram (see my attachment 1) which means you are not making use of the full dynamic range of your sensor and the subject is under exposed.

If you can better lighting, you can reduce ISO and properly expose using the most of your sensor.

Also consider the captured image straight from camera a negative of sorts. It still needs to be processed into a printable image. Most captures straight from camera are rather flat and low contrast. This allows for the most flexibility in post process. In the film days, the final outcome would influence our film choice. Digital days you only have a single sensor with no choice. As such, the output is ideal for post processing with lots of flexibility.

Lets take your photo for example (I hope you don't mind me editing it).

1) Was your photo.. straight. Notice I cropped it. Notice the histogram is exposed towards the left. (attachment 1)

2) I adjusted levels to stretch the data captured across the entire range.
The white fur is now.. white instead of grey (attachment 2)

3) Remember the image straight from camera is also flat... so lets add some contrast. This done with the basic "S" curve adjustment. (attachment 3)

4) Finally, minimal sharpening is applied from camera. Again... the designed for flexibility. The amount of sharpening is one part personal preference, one part final print size (or online image size), and another part viewing distance. I generally do it in two steps... small radius and high % amount and then larger radius with reduced % amount. There are tons of techniques but no matter which you adopt, the final outcome should be subtle. The final outcome is (attachment 4)

Again... It is always to work with the best original you can shoot and then improve (process) in PS. This was just an example. In reality, the original image (posted) is in to small to work with... and a bit rushed too. You should get the idea.

Good luck and keep working it.

Attachments

• $Picture-1.jpg
    $Picture-1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 108
  • $Picture-2.jpg
    $Picture-2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 89
  • $Picture-3.jpg
    $Picture-3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 105
  • $posingcollie011.jpg
    $posingcollie011.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 130
My dog will always pose for a dog cookie. Take tons of shots. Don't be in a hurry to find the 'right' one.

Can you try this outside with some different light too?

I love the dog's expressive face, always great for a wall portrait!

you guys are awesome.,... i will reset aperture... get more light so the ISO can be lowered and also try to edit as per examples.. i will be back.. i have my day filled with things to do but my few hours set aside to practice and read... thanks so so much for all your help. And i won't forget the doggie cookies..especially for the doberman who is next for portrait once i get this right..

Last edited:
i am glad to be back.. i just went through all this to refresh..thanks everybody..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back