what can i do to Improve this pic.....?

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
collie007.jpg
i want to make a photo of a pic like this.. i have the quality photo paper and frame and i know i don't want the ears cut off .. but how can i improve the quality.. i want to frame the pic and hang in my office.. this is the specs i used.. how should i set the camera for better crisp and sharp quality..? thanks

File Name: collie007.jpg (rename) .jpgok cancel

File Size: 117 kb - 742 x 800
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5000
Date/Time: 2009:01:09 23:14:18
Resolution: 742 x 800
Flash Used: Yes (auto, return light detect...
Focal Length: 38.0mm (35mm equivalent: 57mm...
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.0
ISO Equiv.: 1000
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
GPS Latitude: ? ?
GPS Longitude: ? ?

Report inappropriate content

Like you said, not chopping of his/her poor ear. :) Back it up a bit (or don't crop it as tight).

The lighting is good and the expression is great. You might try adjusting the saturation a bit and sharpen it a little to make the hair and eyes pop more. Also blurr the background some, it's a little distracting.

The Nikon 5000D is a very capable camera. You might try using a lower ISO. (Looks like you used 1000, try closer to 200 or 400 if the lighting permits.)

Also, brush the hair first. Looks a bit tangled up around the ears and shoulder, and there's a little sumptin sumptin going on just left of her mouth.

Other than that it's pretty good.

If you are going to re-shoot it, then I would suggest finding a better background first. Then I would use at least 1/125....if your dog can sit for a moment. Faster if he/she can't. I'd probably use around f/8 to make sure his eyes AND nose are both in focus, but try at least getting the eyes in focus.

If you're not re-shooting, then frame it....if you like it. :)

Like you said, not chopping of his/her poor ear. :) Back it up a bit (or don't crop it as tight).

The lighting is good and the expression is great. You might try adjusting the saturation a bit and sharpen it a little to make the hair and eyes pop more. Also blurr the background some, it's a little distracting.

The Nikon 5000D is a very capable camera. You might try using a lower ISO. (Looks like you used 1000, try closer to 200 or 400 if the lighting permits.)

Also, brush the hair first. Looks a bit tangled up around the ears and shoulder, and there's a little sumptin sumptin going on just left of her mouth.

Other than that it's pretty good.
thanks thanks.... all great tips.. for the next pic... i appreciate it..

If you are going to re-shoot it, then I would suggest finding a better background first. Then I would use at least 1/125....if your dog can sit for a moment. Faster if he/she can't. I'd probably use around f/8 to make sure his eyes AND nose are both in focus, but try at least getting the eyes in focus.

If you're not re-shooting, then frame it....if you like it. :)
i am definitly going to reshoot about 100 more pics haha..or as many as he can sit for.. i will try to improve though.. i can always use this one as a last dissapointing resort.. i want better...of course.. thanks so much for help.

posingcollie011.jpg
is this improvement....?

or this one?
posingcollie008.jpg

Much better! I would crop or clone the fur in the bottom right out, and probably crop it so you can print it as a portrait since you want to hang it.

Slightly better positioning of the head. Both are underexposed. There is a lack of contrast. A bit of the back of the dog is showing in the bottom right hand corner that detracts.

The first one does have better lighting and exposure. Notice the white parts of the maine are white in the original while it is more grey in the later.

It think this photo will be better in portrait framing (like the first) rather than landscape .. but that's just an opinion.

Much better! I would crop or clone the fur in the bottom right out, and probably crop it so you can print it as a portrait since you want to hang it.
thanks ... i will try that.. since i have so many to play with...lol

Slightly better positioning of the head. Both are underexposed. There is a lack of contrast. A bit of the back of the dog is showing in the bottom right hand corner that detracts.

The first one does have better lighting and exposure. Notice the white parts of the maine are white in the original while it is more grey in the later.

It think this photo will be better in portrait framing (like the first) rather than landscape .. but that's just an opinion.
thanks very much.. how can i improve the contrast in this piticuliar photo.. since i can retake until i get it right..

Also, these two are also shot at ISO 800 which is better, but with better lighting, you could go lower and get a crisper shot. Better lighting would also help with the fact that they're both under-exposed. The background is lacking distracting clutter, but the dull gray is bugging me a bit.

Do you have any lighting equipment other than the built in flash?

Also, these two are also shot at ISO 800 which is better, but with better lighting, you could go lower and get a crisper shot. Better lighting would also help with the fact that they're both under-exposed. The background is lacking distracting clutter, but the dull gray is bugging me a bit.

Do you have any lighting equipment other than the built in flash?
once the pic is cropped the background won't matter as much since it is going in a frame as portrait.. and honestly it is the only place indoors that has a plain wall...lol.. it is very low light and also i only have the flash on the nikon.. these are my first DSLR pics..so i know i am missing alot of good equipment ... thanks very much.. do you think these two are an improvement over the original.. because i will keep working on it..

posingcollie002.jpg
better still?

thanks everyone for all your help...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back