Overall I think you have a good subject, so that's a lot of the battle.
Now I think it's a matter of playing with different angles, heights, etc. until you get one where you go "oh yeah, nailed it".
It's a LITTLE hard to tell what would make it better only because I can't see the whole scene as you saw it, but frankly I kind of enjoyed these pictures as you have them... moreso the first one, but both are nice.
BTW, I wouldn't scoff at the words being cut off... I like that a lot of times. People balk at it because it's not 'complete' in their minds, but this isn't an inventory shot... you're showing lines, colors, patterns. Hacking off a word here and there sometimes is not only not bad, it's interesting! Even sometimes adds a bit of mystery... makes the viewer stand and look longer... etc. All good things.
You know, just a bit more saturation, contrast and sharpening gives it a bit more pop as well...
I did +20 or so contrast, +25 or so saturation and an smart sharpen of 75%, .7 pixels (would need to do more on a larger image). Here is yours and mine right next to it. (you'll want to full-size this to get the full effect as the resizing thing on here mucks stuff up)