What did I do wrong/how do I improve?

I don't know what lens Watchful means, but I occasionally use Bestbeloved's birding telescope as a lens via an adaptor and that is something like 1000mm.

Get a longer lens and a tripod and remote release. I like 400-800 or the longer 650 -2600 for this type of shooting. Your main subject should be the prominent feature in the image.
Gee, what 650 to 2600 are you talking about?
Golly, I'd say one that fits the D5500 camera, what would you suggest? lol
There are several brand names to select from so that would be up to the buyer and their budget.
This should all be self explanatory though. I am surprised you had to ask, the OP didn't have to ask.
Really, post a link to a 650-2600mm lens.

Get a longer lens and a tripod and remote release. I like 400-800 or the longer 650 -2600 for this type of shooting. Your main subject should be the prominent feature in the image.
There are several brand names to select from so that would be up to the buyer and their budget.
This should all be self explanatory though. I am surprised you had to ask, the OP didn't have to ask.

I have heard of some 650-3000mm lenses, made by opteka. They are pretty low end from what I understand, never shot one myself but from all indications it's generally regarded to be a waste of money.

See post above, I am not selling a particular lens.
That is because you do not know what you are talking about. A simple google search, which doesn't even require any coding, shows no makers of any 650-2600 mm lenses. Perhaps you should go code one for Gimp and then the OP could have a 650-2600mm lens

I have heard of some 650-3000mm lenses, made by opteka. They are pretty low end from what I understand, never shot one myself but from all indications it's generally regarded to be a waste of money.
Yeah, not sold any longer that I am aware of. Can't find anything like it these days, unless you go to the junk bin at a brick and mortar photo shop, eBay or an Orlando Florida souvenir photo shop. They are all junk lenses, with poor glass, made to sell to suckers. Like the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true...... and $200 for such a lens is too good to be true unless you are looking for a nice big tall paperweight.

Yeah, not sold any longer that I am aware of. Can't find anything like it these days, unless you go to the junk bin at a brick and mortar photo shop, eBay or an Orlando Florida souvenir photo shop. They are all junk lenses, with poor glass, made to sell to suckers. Like the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true...... and $200 for such a lens is too good to be true unless you are looking for a nice big tall paperweight.

Well when your average buyer review on Amazon hit's whooping 3.5 stars that's usually a pretty good indicator that something is horribly awry. It's usually a pretty good indicator as well when you search for a lens and it's never been reviewed by anyone in a professional or semi-professional capacity.

I would like to, but I'm not aware of anything in the sub $1000 range with any real quality (but I would like to be wrong).

But even if there were, I think I will work on my shooting skills before dumping money on something like that, and continue to use my point-and-shoot super zoom for some of the super long ranges.

Ok guys, please don't de-rail my thread. Phantom lenses or not, I do understand that I'd need a longer range lens for those long-reach shots. Just right now another lens is out of reach for me right now, so trying to make do with what I have. Thanks for all the pointers so far everyone, and always open to hear any other comments on what I can do to improve.

I would like to, but I'm not aware of anything in the sub $1000 range with any real quality (but I would like to be wrong).

But even if there were, I think I will work on my shooting skills before dumping money on something like that, and continue to use my point-and-shoot super zoom for some of the super long ranges.
I agree, and for the time being, just shoot subjects that are within your range. :) (distance, not price)

You can find some lenses under $1000 that will give you a bit more reach that are actually not bad lenses, but as with all long range telephoto's there is a learning curve, and at the distance this shot was taken they probably wouldn't have made a huge difference.

I think your on the right track though getting more accustomed to shooting what you have and learning it's limitations before you decide what to do about upgrading, if you do indeed decide at some point an upgrade is necessary.

Jet.com

Obviously a supplier to NASA and the rest of the photographic world. I especially love how they call it a 650-2600 but their description calls it a 650-1300 lens.

Specifications Zoom Type: Push/Pull (Two-touch) Focus Modes:
Manual Focus Minimum Focus Distance: 16'(4.9 m)
Angle of View: 3.8 to 2 Degrees
Aperture: f/8-16
Filter Size: 95mm Max Diameter: 4.1"(105mm) Length: 18.5"(23.3" at full zoom) Weight: 4.4 lb (2 kg)
Included Items~ Opteka High Definition 650-1300mm Super Telephoto Zoom Lens ~ Opteka High Definition 2X Teleconverter ~ T-Mount Lens Adapter ~ Lens Hood ~ Padded Pouch with Shoulder Strap ~ Front and Rear Lens Caps

Save the $185.00 and add it to other savings and get a good zoom. The 150-500 is popular for both it's quality and it price. 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Sigma Corporation of America

Jet.com

Obviously a supplier to NASA and the rest of the photographic world. I especially love how they call it a 650-2600 but their description calls it a 650-1300 lens.

Filter Size: 95mm Max Diameter: 4.1"(105mm) Length: 18.5"(23.3" at full zoom) Weight: 4.4 lb (2 kg)
Included Items~ Opteka High Definition 650-1300mm Super Telephoto Zoom Lens ~ Opteka High Definition 2X Teleconverter ~ T-Mount Lens Adapter ~ Lens Hood ~ Padded Pouch with Shoulder Strap ~ Front and Rear Lens Caps

Save the $185.00 and add it to other savings and get a good zoom. The 150-500 is popular for both it's quality and it price. 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Sigma Corporation of America
I think they're quoting 2600 because it comes with a 2x teleconverter. As if f/16 wasn't dark enough :D

Thanks for the Sigma link... I'll have to keep that one in mind to look back to if/when I decide to upgrade.

Jet.com

I think they're quoting 2600 because it comes with a 2x teleconverter. As if f/16 wasn't dark enough :D
Yeah,

Hopefully some of the Sigma 150-500 owners will chime in. I have not used one, but several members do and indicate they are quite pleased with it. Plus it is sub $1000.00 for a decent quality lens.

Jet.com

Now you get it. :)
There is this option:

Jet.com

Now you get it. :)
There is this option:

But you don't.

#1. Recommending cheap, unless, CRAP just because someone says it is 650-2600 and it sells for under $200 does no good for anyone except the rip off artist that offer that JUNK.

#2. Your recommendation will not work for the OP with their current lens. Here is the list of compatible lenses for the TC you posted. I don't see the OP's lens listed.

Most reactions

Back