what did i do wrong?

anything you synth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
killa.jpg

Last edited:
U have to click on the picture icon (the yellow button with mts) and then paste your picture link into it.

And you're link is non-functional anyway.

fixed*

so what could i have done better? i had a REALLY hard time keeping the sky from blowing out

you need a better angle, lower and to the right of him. the background is to clutter also. not much you can do about that i know but if it was just a sky i feel it would look better

Those ropes are really distracting also.

What do you mean by "blowing out". The sky looks pretty tame to me...

yes, off camera flash. 430 EX II, although it was on my camera because i dont have a cable or wireless triggers.

and about the cluttered background, there was no option. to the other side was worse (nasty bushes and volleyball net)

Those ropes are really distracting also.

What do you mean by "blowing out". The sky looks pretty tame to me...
He means over exposing as in having a completely white sky with no detail at all.

i would try underexposing the background a little bit more, and maybe zoom the head on the flash in some so it doesn't illuminate as much of the foreground

He means over exposing as in having a completely white sky with no detail at all.

Right... I understand that... but the sky looks fine. It looks like a normal light blue sky at dusk. Maybe I'm just missing something?

Right... I understand that... but the sky looks fine. It looks like a normal light blue sky at dusk. Maybe I'm just missing something?

you're right, its fine in the picture. i was just saying it was hard to get it that way. majority of the pictures i took had blown out skies

Looks to me like the flash you used was a wee bit to bright, or went off before the shutter opened at just the right time (well more of the wrong time....) and reflected off the bike and rope.

I like this picture for some reason. The backround could be different, but you really cant change that....

I get the same problem with my moms camera (4 year old [brick of a] kodak point and shoot. Fun fun.)

yeah i think i shot it way too bright.

also, any advice for using a 50mm prime lens for shots like this?
i was REALLY hard because i had to stand really far away, and prevented me from getting a low angle, so i ended up just using my kit lens for this shot =/

the biggest problem i see is that you obviously focused before the biker was in place... the background is very focused, but the subject is not.. to combat that, you need a nice fast lens, so you can hit the focus quickly before the subject disappears..

you need a lower angle too.. (as mentioned already) and your flash is to bright...

sample

to get closer, you need a nice wideangle lens... fisheye is obviously the best... expensive though.... but if you cant afford one, a good substitute is something like this obviously not as good as a fisheye, but it works until your able to save for a real fish eye... I use one (the adapter) for all my skate shots (still no cash for a fish eye) but it does a decent job.. photos are a little bit soft, but not bad for the cost of the thing.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back