limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There have been several threads asking about 2014 resolutions, photographic goals, etc., but I haven't yet seen a thread about reflecting back on the year we've just completed.

What have we learned or how have we grown this year? I put this in Photographic Discussions because I'm mostly thinking about these questions for photography, but I suppose it can be expanded to "life lessons learned" and moved into Off Topic if appropriate.

In the past few days, I've seen the revival of a couple of 365 projects that either didn't get finished or perhaps got finished elsewhere. I was curious about the threads and how other people fared because I've actually just completed one and it figured prominently in what I've learned and accomplished this past year.

In one thread, and Bitter Jeweler said:

Did you ever wonder why we don't get any threads at the END of the year with a link to their "blog" with jumps for joy upon completion, telling us what an AMAZING experience it was?

Well, here's my jumps of joy at completion: :bounce: Link to blog and Flickr are in my signature if you need proof!
And I won't say it was AMAZING because I rarely say anything is AMAZING because I'm just not a gusher, but I will say that it was a very very positive experience for me.

Later in the same thread, manaheim said:

And here we see why 365 day photo challenges are an utter waste of time, almost every time.

There are two common results...

1. Pointless crappy shots that were forced because "I gotta take a picture today! It's part of my challenge!"
2. People give up and drop off.

When I went into this, I had no idea of whether or not I'd finish it or what I'd gain. I could certainly see many people giving up relatively soon, and if the task is to take a new picture every single day, then it would definitely encourage filler pictures.

In a way, I suppose it could be said that I 'cheated' by giving myself a task that was more doable and realistic. Instead of insisting that I post pictures that were taken that day, I tasked myself with posting a different picture everyday. Shooting mostly film, it would be prohibitively time-consuming to shoot a roll, develop and scan, and then post on the same day, and I wasn't interested in a digital-only 365 Project, so I improvised. In that way, I also hope I was able to keep the 'filler pictures' to a minimum (well, minus the "Caturday" pictures I posted every Saturday. Still, some of those were challenging to get!) Sometimes pictures were posted without comment, and other times I wrote more lengthy posts around the picture or series of pictures. Sometimes I included older pictures that I wanted to compare or discuss in relation to my newer photographs.

So, at the end of the year, what did I learn? How did this Project 365 help me learn or grow as a photographer?

Looking back, I did resort to more digital and 'filler' pictures near the start, but I moved slowly to posting film pictures almost exclusively (except for my Caturday posts). The deeper I got into the project, the more I wanted to push to try new techniques so I could show different things. The Project was part of what prompted me to revive the Polaroid. It was the spark I needed to finally get developing my own film at home. It helped me explore different subjects and films and techniques. I got new equipment that allowed me to be creative in new ways. I respond well to external deadlines or obligations, so I do feel that the pressure to make a picture public on a daily basis motivated me to keep moving forward.

Perhaps I'm delusional but I feel that I can see a progression from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. I've become more adventurous and confident and I think that has been expressed in the images I posted throughout the year. I wouldn't do a second 365 Project back to back with the first, but it's something I would consider again. Either that or a 52 Rolls project (one roll of film per week).

And that's my story. What's yours?

(PS - And if you still don't believe in 365 Projects, what would you say if it involved bacon? https://365daysofbacon.wordpress.com/ :mrgreen: )

Congrats on finishing your 365!! I'm sure it feels amazing. :cheers:. You have some really incredible shots there :heart:

I am currently on day 137 of my 365 and so far, it has been an amazing experience. I personally am not happy using a 'snapshot' for my daily photo. I strive to create an image I am proud to show and share. I look at it as a job, a study/homework that I preform every day...no matter what. I believe that it is one of the things that has most contributed to my growth as an artist. I agree with you in that I won't be starting another 365 once I'm done with this. It's a lot of pressure and hard work! But totally worth the satisfaction of seeing all those photos. I have also captured some really special images of my family that I just wouldn't have if I wasn't connected to my camera (as I am now).

My 365

Congrats on finishing your 365!! I'm sure it feels amazing. :cheers:. You have some really incredible shots there :heart:

I am currently on day 137 of my 365 and so far, it has been an amazing experience. I personally am not happy using a 'snapshot' for my daily photo. I strive to create an image I am proud to show and share. I look at it as a job, a study/homework that I preform every day...no matter what. I believe that it is one of the things that has most contributed to my growth as an artist. I agree with you in that I won't be starting another 365 once I'm done with this. It's a lot of pressure and hard work! But totally worth the satisfaction of seeing all those photos. I have also captured some really special images of my family that I just wouldn't have if I wasn't connected to my camera (as I am now).

My 365

I think that's exactly how you have to approach it to make it meaningful for you. Good luck with the rest of the year! (I just followed you on Flickr :) )

Anyone else? Bueller?

I couldn't do a 365 day photo challenge but in October, I did a 31 day challenge. I was getting better before then but I think that 31 days taught me how to photograph things. The though process of what and how to take the shot. Since the end of October, I have also learned a lot more about post processing and have gotten my skills a lot better at that too. I spent the last week, learning to use the Nik software and yesterday and this morning I had a wow moment on some re-edits of pictures that I took from August - December.

2014 is staring out amazing and I'm looking forward to more.

I learned NSA are *******s with virtually (pun) no oversight.... the war on terror my anus!!.

^ lol

I.... learned how to write a book.

I learned literally every single thing I know now about photography :mrgreen:

I learned quite a lot in 2013. For instance, never ever put an Alka-Seltzer in your Long Island tea... :lmao:

Photographically speaking: I really did learn a lot this year. I did my first "real" photo shoot this year, for a massive marketing campaign, including billboards, for my company. I nearly made myself sick with anxiety about the whole thing, but I learned a lot from it, mostly from the great advice many here gave me leading up to the shoot, and it must have gone well, since I ended up getting a raise out of the deal at work!

I didn't do a 365 Project, but I *did* do a year-long project that I actually stuck with and completed, so I was pretty pleased with myself. After really getting into bird photography in late 2012, I decided to do a "1 Year, 100 Birds" project in 2013--"decent" shots of 100 different birds in one calendar year. "Decent" was defined by me as being at least identifiable, but as the year went on, "decent" seemed to have a higher threshold than when I started. A few of my final 100 just barely made the cut, and I had probably 15-20 more birds that *didn't* make the cut, even though they probably WERE at least identifiable.
I learned more than I could have imagined at the beginning, about both birds and bird photography, and I had so much fun doing it that I'm shooting for 50 more this year.
The entire set is on my flickr page: 1 Year, 100 Birds - a set on Flickr

I have done a P52, but not last year. It didn't teach me much, as such, but I did get started on artificial lighting that year.

This last year I feel like i have thought through a great deal of what photography means, how I think about pictures, what I want to do as a photographer and how I ought to go about that. I shot a couple of small portfolios that please me quite a lot, and I wrote a lot about photography as the major part of that process of figuring out what it means to me, what I want to do, and how to do that.

Lets see, what did I learn in 2013.

Gosh, quite a list. Mirrors are not portals to another dimension. That was a bit of a shocker, I must admit. RAW is more than a file format, it actually seems to be some form of religion. Another bit of a mind bender there. Derrel is actually a cyborg from the future, ok now that one I must admit wasn't nearly as much of a surprise as some of the other revelations of 2013 - I mean seriously on the surprise scale that one didn't even rank up there with finding out George Micheal wasn't straight. I mean wow, who didn't know beforehand right? I discovered Manaheim was not actually the killer bunny used in the filming of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Apparently after some internet research I discovered the bunny they used was actually just some far wimpier 2nd cousin to our resident killer hare.

So yup, a very event filled 2013. I also bought stock in keyboards, at the rate I'm going through them I figured it would be a good retirement investment.. lol.

What did you learn in 2013?

The same thing as in every year since I bought my first serious camera (1984): there's always room for improvement!

I've learned that no matter how high-end your equipment may be, it's still just as good as a point&shoot, if you don't know how to operate said equipment.

RAW is more than a file format, it actually seems to be some form of religion.

RAW is heresy! Apple is the true religion. ;)

limr--congrats on completing your 365 project! I don't take photographs every day, but I am involved in photography in some way every day, whether it be shooting, editing, researching, appreciating, reading, etc.

I've learned to follow my instincts better. I've learned to "kill my darlings" in a series. I've learned a bit more about using speedlights. I've learned more about Photoshop brushes, creating and using textures, and digital collage. Overall, it was a good year for me.

Other than that, I installed my own RAM on the iMac, read a ton about Tudor history, and perfected my spaghetti sauce recipe.

RAW is heresy! Apple is the true religion. ;)

So we should all be worshipping fruit. Ok.. well, I'll put that on the list of stuff I learned in 2014. rotfl

limr--congrats on completing your 365 project! I don't take photographs every day, but I am involved in photography in some way every day, whether it be shooting, editing, researching, appreciating, reading, etc.

I've learned to follow my instincts better. I've learned to "kill my darlings" in a series. I've learned a bit more about using speedlights. I've learned more about Photoshop brushes, creating and using textures, and digital collage. Overall, it was a good year for me.

Other than that, I installed my own RAM on the iMac, read a ton about Tudor history, and perfected my spaghetti sauce recipe.

Well say what you will about Henry the VIII, but you have to admit, the boy had game.. rotfl

Most reactions

Back