What did you learn today?

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’ve been lurking around the forums for a couple of weeks now and have already learned a lot from everyone. In fact, it seems like I am learning something new every day. To help me grow in my photographic endeavors, I thought it would be helpful to document some of my learning’s. In the process, I thought other beginners might benefit from a thread dedicated to learning.

Disclaimer: As a beginner, I don’t feel qualified to make concrete statements, so please use the tips as a jumping point to draw your own conclusions.

Here is a quick summary of some of the things I learned today:

1) When shooting with vibration reduction (VR) capable lenses, you should turn of the VR when shooting on a tripod. This is because the VR can anticipate movement that does not exist.
a. Sources:
i. Previous posts on TPF.
ii. Personal experience. Several moon shots came out slightly blurred, even though I used a tripod with the self timer.
2) In most cases, it is advised that you shoot with your lens hood. This is because it reduces the amount of side light during an exposure. This will enhance the colors and saturation within your photos. It also provides an additional layer of protection to your lens.
a. Sources:
i. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/lens-hoods.aspx
ii. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-29529.html
iii. http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnAdetail.asp?threadID=9887
3) The Nikon D80 is not as well-suited for IR photography as previous models. This is because Nikon added an enhanced IR filter to the sensor. IR is not impossible on the D80, it just requires substantially longer exposure times compared to previous models, such as the D40, D60, and D70. (now what to do with that Hoya IR72 filter I just picked up?) Additionally, some vendors, such as life pixel (http://www.lifepixel.com) offer a service to alter a camera permanently for IR photography.
a. Sources: multiple, not recorded.

So, what did you learn about photography today? If possible, post sources to help us explore the topic further.

Happy New Year,
Ryan

Last edited:
Today I learned where the DOFP button is on my Elan ll and tried to learn something about all the CF functions it has.
I also learned it has a piece of dust on the rear lens element which means it is much worse than having dust on the front element.. :(

Today I didn't shoot, but did have occasion to scan over an article in a magazine that led me to a section in my Nikon D90 manual.
What I learned was the procedure for customizing and performing bracketing ( either for white balance, exposure with or without flash or dynamic lighting.

At the same time I learned a little bit about how color filters affect the taking of black and white pictures, to make certain colors appear darker and others appear lighter in the black and white exposure.
This was learned from the current issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine.

Today I didn't shoot, but did have occasion to scan over an article in a magazine that led me to a section in my Nikon D90 manual.
What I learned was the procedure for customizing and performing bracketing ( either for white balance, exposure with or without flash or dynamic lighting.

Thanks for sharing. Bracketing is something I'm trying to learn as well. Your comment prompted me to search and I found a great source of info specific to my camera, the d80.

Nikon D80 Digital Camera Exposure - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

I've heard that both Imaging Resource and Digital Photography Review are great sources of information.

Cool link ! It explains a lot all in one place.

That reminds me. The D90 has some option similar to bracketing, but puts all the pics into one image. It sounds to me like an in-camera HDR. I can't wait to try that out in a high contrast landscape type shot. I'll need to wait until I get a tripod for that one.

Most reactions

Back