What Digital SLR do you perfer I am looking to upgrade

Janasphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok well I am looking to upgrade from my film SLR and my fujifilm finepix S700 point and shoot which is my main camera right now for a digital SLR I am trying to go professional but need a not too expensive camera the ones I have been thinking about that I can afford are the Nikon D200, Fujifilm finepix S2 pro, Cannon eos rebel XSI, XTI, XS and the Canon EOS T1i and Olympus Evolt E510 or 520's. What out of those do you feel is the best camera for a avid photographer that wants to go pro.

Thank you,
Jana

You want to go pro without buying pro gear? (Hope this isn't trolling)

You need a MINIMUM of a D300/D300s or 7D depending whether you want to go with Nikon or Canon. The D200 is too outdated, you would get better results from a D5000. Then you will need to get good glass (lenses) as you can't give professional results with kit lenses. To get a decent start, I would say you need a minimum of $3k invested into your gear, but even that is not much. Most pro's have well over $10K into their setups.

You can't expect that asking "What do I buy to become a pro" will get you anywhere. (Besides a courtroom with your clients). You need pro level gear, but more importantly you need pro level experience/knowledge of how to use that gear.

Last edited:
Ok not looking to do weddings or things like that some photo shoots for friends, family and some dog photos at shows and stuff. I dont have 3k to invest I am on a tight budget its not trolling at all I just am looking at these cameras I forgot to add the Nikon D3000 to the list I am looking to mainly do wildlife and sell to some local places for there offices, some senior pictures for friends and family and things like that not really pro pro as I know I dont have 3-10K to invest right now. I am just looking to upgrade and wondering what camera is best but guess I shouldnt have asked here. I am new to this forum but just wanted to get an idea been reading reviews and photos and seen some amazing photos with the Nikon D200's that where professionals that where using them same with the fujifim S2 pro.

Jana

Ok not looking to do weddings or things like that some photo shoots for friends, family and some dog photos at shows and stuff. I dont have 3k to invest I am on a tight budget its not trolling at all I just am looking at these cameras I forgot to add the Nikon D3000 to the list I am looking to mainly do wildlife and sell to some local places for there offices, some senior pictures for friends and family and things like that not really pro pro as I know I dont have 3-10K to invest right now. I am just looking to upgrade and wondering what camera is best but guess I shouldnt have asked here. I am new to this forum but just wanted to get an idea been reading reviews and photos and seen some amazing photos with the Nikon D200's that where professionals that where using them same with the fujifim S2 pro.

Jana

The only problem with the D200 is that it's a relatively outdated body so you would be better off with something like the D5000. The lens has a bigger impact than the body (The D200 may have had very good glass on it in the test images).

What lenses do you have in mind to purchase? Keep in mind wildlife needs very long focal length lenses.

What sort of a film SLR do you have and what lenses do you have for it? If you already have lenses that you like, you may want to get a DSLR that can use them (if possible) and reduce your expenses (and step up to a better DSLR body).

I am still looking into it all not in a huge hurry to make the jump just researching right now. I have used an SLR before my Nikon and loved it but with it being a film camera I do not use it near enough due to costs of film, developing and such for my personal use. This camera is mainly 99% going to be for my own personal use with maybe selling a few photos here and there not looking to start doing huge photo shoots or anything. I guess I should have mainly just put that my budget is very limited not looking into doing any major pro shoots just mainly having fun with my camera and maybe selling a few photos here and there. I am mainly wanting opinions on what you think is the best entry level priced digital SLR camera for someone just making that leap but wanting to be able to take great photos.

Here are some photos I have taken with my point and shoot fujifilm finepix S700
DSCF0206-1.jpg

DSCF0413-1.jpg

DSCF3329-1.jpg

DSCF4324.jpg

DSCF4338.jpg

DSCF4668.jpg

DSCF7466-1.jpg

DSCF1586.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

DSCF5348.jpg

DSCF5352-1.jpg

DSCF5375.jpg

Fawn1.jpg

What sort of a film SLR do you have and what lenses do you have for it? If you already have lenses that you like, you may want to get a DSLR that can use them (if possible) and reduce your expenses (and step up to a better DSLR body).

I have a Nikon f55 its a film SLR so dont have any digital lenses and not sure if my fillm lenses would work on the digital or not (looking into that ) its a Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G

Jana

Your Nikon AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lens will autofocus with a D90 or better Nikon DSLR. It won't auto-focus with a D3000 or D5000. This lens goes for about $50, used.

out of that list i'd personally get the D200 because of the speed, build, AF, and ergonomics.

The D200 doesn't have an Auto mode though.

If you're shooting at ISO 100, Jane doe wouldn't know the difference between a D100 and a D3x, she's more concerned aboutbright color and if the pictures are sharp.

what are you talking about switch..? My d200 has an auto mode. Granted, i never use it, but its there. Auto, shutter priority, aperture priority, and manual.

Now i personally would reccommend the d200. No need to bash it all. You say "youll get better results with a d5000 than the d200 because its newer?" Sure, maybe its newer, but the ease of use on the d200 far outdoes the d5000. All the buttons are at your fingertips. I can change aperture, shutter speed, iso sensitivity, wb, and quality, all with one move(turning a dial, or pressing a button and turning a dial). The d200 has a higher fps, a weather sealed body, and it just feels nice to use.

Sorry for the "rant," but the d5000 and d200 are in two COMPLETELY different classes.

what are you talking about switch..? My d200 has an auto mode. Granted, i never use it, but its there. Auto, shutter priority, aperture priority, and manual.

Now i personally would reccommend the d200. No need to bash it all. You say "youll get better results with a d5000 than the d200 because its newer?" Sure, maybe its newer, but the ease of use on the d200 far outdoes the d5000. All the buttons are at your fingertips. I can change aperture, shutter speed, iso sensitivity, wb, and quality, all with one move(turning a dial, or pressing a button and turning a dial). The d200 has a higher fps, a weather sealed body, and it just feels nice to use.

Sorry for the "rant," but the d5000 and d200 are in two COMPLETELY different classes.

Are you sure it's Auto and not Program mode? Two completely different things.

Jana

If your wanting to get good wildlife photos you have no choice but to spend lots of money on lenses

You need a MINIMUM of a D300/D300s or 7D depending whether you want to go with Nikon or Canon. The D200 is too outdated, you would get better results from a D5000. Then you will need to get good glass (lenses) as you can't give professional results with kit lenses. To get a decent start, I would say you need a minimum of $3k invested into your gear, but even that is not much. Most pro's have well over $10K into their setups.

You can't expect that asking "What do I buy to become a pro" will get you anywhere. (Besides a courtroom with your clients). You need pro level gear, but more importantly you need pro level experience/knowledge of how to use that gear.

It depends what you're shooting. Give me a Canon 300D, some lights and a nice prime and I can do "pro" portrait work. You don't need the latest and greatest. It helps in some lines of work but saying some one needs the newest camera a manufacture offers is bunk.

It depends what you're shooting. Give me a Canon 300D, some lights and a nice prime and I can do "pro" portrait work. You don't need the latest and greatest. It helps in some lines of work but saying some one needs the newest camera a manufacture offers is bunk.

That was part of my point. I think you missed the last part.

...but more importantly you need pro level experience/knowledge of how to use that gear.

And yes, it does depend what you are shooting. You can get good portraits with a setup like you mentioned, but to shoot all types of images including wildlife, you would need much more than a basic body and a prime. He needs long, fast glass.

Thanks everyone I am considering a couple of differant models have looked into them a little more and will let you all know what I decide to get.

Jana

Most reactions

New Topics

Back