What do I need for a make up portfolio shoot?

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
My wife is in cosmo school, and they emphasize building a portfolio for future employment.

All I have right now is the equipment listed in my sig,

SB700 and YN467
2 light stands
2 33" umbrellas
42" reflector
trigger kit for the speedlights
and a Sigma 24mm 1.8 Macro lens (I'll add to sig in a sec)

I've created a thread in the past for a similar purpose but can't find it.
BigMike helped me in it and showed me his set and it was awesome.

So pretty much, what else do I need?

You should be great with what you have!
It's all about the face and the skin and flattering it.

You don't think I need another speedlight or anything?

You don't think I need another speedlight or anything?

Need is a strong word. Could you use a speedlight to your advantage? Absolutely. Can you get great shots without it? Yes. You'll just have to plan the exposure well.

Without a speedlight, I'd be looking for a large window with lots of natural light and a nearby opposing wall in white to reflect it. Position your subject closer to the window than the wall, but between the two, and start playing around. (or have an assistant with a reflector on hand if the wall is lacking)

With multiple speedlights, and modifiers, you can control everything, but that's a lot of money to drop unless you see yourself using it a lot for this and other things...

24mm 1.8 Macro lens

you want at least a 50mm shooting people, i suggest use the other lenses over this one

I was thinking about picking up an 85mm 1.8D for this project.

You made me look up that lens. So it is not a 1:1 macro.. I guess that would work for this application. It will be pretty stretched though... are you sure? Interesting lens. Personally I would get a longer 1:1 macro lens. You can use it for portrait or for close up shot on the eye or something.

Yes I'd say other than the macro you seem set, just use a longer lens. My sister is a makeup artist and we're planning some shoots. I pretty much have what you have as far as lights and accessories.

Nonono, you guys are mistaking the reason for mentioning my 24mm. I'm not using it for the shoot, I'm just listing my equipment. I would probably use the 50mm for the majority of the shoot.

Actually check that, I would be using it for full body shots.

24 too stretched no matter what. you can compensate in post, but its not desirable

When you say too stretched, can you elaborate?

when you shoot up close to the face, her nose might look like a pear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back