I need advice on portrait lighting set up

osumisan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
motionshooter.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a very modest budget so lighting is affordable items. The photo posted is shot with a Nikon D700 with Sigma f/2.8 18-50 lens. To camera-left and 2 feet higher is the SB600 speedlight on a light stand on commander mode aimed down at subject. A silver reflector is directly opposite the speedlight on the floor to camera-right. A florescent light aimed into a white umbrella is behind subject and pointed at background.

The lighting setup described looked ok when I photographed a male subject. With the female, I feel the shadows are too masculine. Can someone direct me on better portrait lighting or poses for the female subject?

Softball%20Mom-portrait-X3.jpg

Angle her body turned to camera right, ie, the exact opposite angle of the way it is now; have her lower her chin to a "normal" position; and then, raise the main light a bit. As shown, the shadow of her nose is going "upward", which is underneath lighting, also commonly called "horror film lighting". She will look slimmer, and better,when posed as described above than the way she is now.

Derrel already addressed the lighting, so I won't reiterate.

The composited background isn't really working though with all that halo stuff around her that doesn't allow the texture that's supposed to be behind her show between the hair and around the clothing.

Yeah, agreed with Derrel on the placement of your key light, it's looking like it's too low and her angle is creating a very hard shadow on her face. Is she taller than the male you photographed with the same setup?

I'd try to perfect portraiture with one single soft light, typically from higher at 3/4 angle. Once you get more comfortable, add more light sources. When in doubt, one is enough 80% of the time.

It's not the gear. It's the gear between your ears. I shot a great looking portrait of a mother and baby, using a lamp and a reflector.
Study Rembrandt, or any of the other old masters works.

This was shot with 1 light and a reflector

Morgan.jpg

Yeah, agreed with Derrel on the placement of your key light, it's looking like it's too low and her angle is creating a very hard shadow on her face. Is she taller than the male you photographed with the same setup?

I'd try to perfect portraiture with one single soft light, typically from higher at 3/4 angle. Once you get more comfortable, add more light sources. When in doubt, one is enough 80% of the time.

Thanks, that is helpful. I appreciate the specific criticism, which is what I am looking for in this thread. Higher main light would make a difference is what you are saying. Maybe my shadows indicate the lighting is too harsh as well?

The composited background isn't really working though with all that halo stuff around her that doesn't allow the texture that's supposed to be behind her show between the hair and around the clothing.

This was shot with a very 'busy' background which needed to be photoshopped out. Normally, I would lasso around the subject and cut/paste onto a background. With the hair on this portrait, I didn't feel comfortable with that technique. Anyway, you can see the 10pixel perimeter around the subject and it does take away from the photo. I am looking into photoshop techniques to remedy that but seems complicated. The technique I am trying to experiment with now is taking the file, removing color from it so it is monochrome (differnt shades of gray), to separete subject (hair and all) from background. Am I on the right track or is there an easier, less complicated way?

Angle her body turned to camera right, ie, the exact opposite angle of the way it is now; have her lower her chin to a "normal" position; and then, raise the main light a bit. As shown, the shadow of her nose is going "upward", which is underneath lighting, also commonly called "horror film lighting". She will look slimmer, and better,when posed as described above than the way she is now.

This was extremely helpful, thanks!

This was shot with a very 'busy' background which needed to be photoshopped out. Normally, I would lasso around the subject and cut/paste onto a background. With the hair on this portrait, I didn't feel comfortable with that technique. Anyway, you can see the 10pixel perimeter around the subject and it does take away from the photo. I am looking into photoshop techniques to remedy that but seems complicated. The technique I am trying to experiment with now is taking the file, removing color from it so it is monochrome (differnt shades of gray), to separete subject (hair and all) from background. Am I on the right track or is there an easier, less complicated way?
For most of my masking needs, I use a PS plugin from Topaz: Topaz ReMask - Masking Made Easy It works really well 99% of the time, including on hair and fine details. If you get it, be sure to watch their tutorial videos on how to use it on their site, as they're invaluable to get the most from the product.

For the other 1%, where subject removal from backgrounds are REALLY difficult to deal with, I use it in conjunction with what I've learned from Deke McClelland in his masking techniques series on Lynda.com here:

Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Fundamentals
Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Advanced Blending
Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Hair

In that series, you'll learn all the methods known, but the most powerful is to use the appropriate channel(s) to get the most contrast between what you're trying to mask and the background you're lifting it from, and that can vary from area to area in an image, depending on lighting, color, how busy the background is, etc.

The best way to deal with it though, is to pre-plan your work enough to know when you'll be making a composite beforehand, then use an appropriate background with your model to make it a lot easier on yourself later. For light colored hair, use a black background. For dark colored hair, use a white background. In both cases, keep the model as far from the background as possible to avoid light bleed and contamination issues. Clothing is generally pretty easy, either way, as long as it's not the exact color of the background, and that can usually be addressed with proper lighting during the shoot if looks like it could be a problem.

There's always the green-screen path as well, but I wasn't terribly happy with the results when I tried to work with it, while others say that's what works best for them. I probably just needed more practice with it.

For most of my masking needs, I use a PS plugin from Topaz: Topaz ReMask - Masking Made Easy It works really well 99% of the time, including on hair and fine details. If you get it, be sure to watch their tutorial videos on how to use it on their site, as they're invaluable to get the most from the product.

For the other 1%, where subject removal from backgrounds are REALLY difficult to deal with, I use it in conjunction with what I've learned from Deke McClelland in his masking techniques series on Lynda.com here:

Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Fundamentals
Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Advanced Blending
Photoshop Masking & Compositing: Hair

In that series, you'll learn all the methods known, but the most powerful is to use the appropriate channel(s) to get the most contrast between what you're trying to mask and the background you're lifting it from, and that can vary from area to area in an image, depending on lighting, color, how busy the background is, etc.

The best way to deal with it though, is to pre-plan your work enough to know when you'll be making a composite beforehand, then use an appropriate background with your model to make it a lot easier on yourself later. For light colored hair, use a black background. For dark colored hair, use a white background. In both cases, keep the model as far from the background as possible to avoid light bleed and contamination issues. Clothing is generally pretty easy, either way, as long as it's not the exact color of the background, and that can usually be addressed with proper lighting during the shoot if looks like it could be a problem.

There's always the green-screen path as well, but I wasn't terribly happy with the results when I tried to work with it, while others say that's what works best for them. I probably just needed more practice with it.

Sweeeeeeet! This was very helpful, thanks for taking the time to share this information!

Ok, so just to finish out this thread. Practiced a bit and changed my set-up. This portrait was shot with a single light to camera-left and behind, pointed at a white curtain at camera-left. There is one other light behind the subject pointed at the black backdrop. Much better result than all the lighting and reflector I tried in the beginning of this thread. Thanks for the help.

Jon%20Curtain-6513B-X2.jpg

appears your white balance may be off. the big watermark is cool
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back