What do most pros shoot?

I shoot anything which pays, weddings included, I'd love a few dead bodies, some forensic or medical to get my teeth into but its hard to enter those fields unless your fresh from uni or college. H

I'm a full-time staff photographer for a Mid-sized daily newspaper and I'm the Northern California shooter for the NY Post.

I know pro photographers who photograph food, people (children mostly), and various commercial products (think magazine ads), and one girl who photographs for a newspaper.

- Randy

At first i just opened the thread out of curiousity...But then i thought, hey, i guess i'm considered a pro too...might as well answer the question. I have yet properly digested the fact that i'm finally living my dream.

I'm a news photographer for a daily newspaper in Israel.
Anything BUT weddings, too.

1. Who is Ken Rockwell?
If you don't know who Ken Rockwell is, well... I can't believe anyone on the internet who is into photography hasn't heard of the master.
When I was a child I asked my Sunday School teacher "Who's Billy Graham?" Her response was similar to yours. That was the day I learned that I am a Godless heathen.

1. Who is Ken Rockwell?
If you don't know who Ken Rockwell is, well... I can't believe anyone on the internet who is into photography hasn't heard of the master.
When I was a child I asked my Sunday School teacher "Who's Billy Graham?" Her response was similar to yours. That was the day I learned that I am a Godless heathen.

Welcome to the club :mrgreen:. Ken Rockwell is considered by some to be a great photographer/commentator/what have you, and by others to be overly strongly opinionated and self absorbed - it all depends on who you ask (not at all unlike asking about Billy Graham)

- Randy

Ken Rockwell is considered by some to be a great photographer/commentator

By who ? He is a guy who reviews kit in a (sometimes unitentionaly) humorous way. He knows his if from his af but he aint a 'great' photog.

That's what I'm saying, depending on whom you ask some people think he's the bomb (or whatever the saying is today). On other forums I've seen flame wars about him - crazy. I've never read anything he wrote, but I've always gotten the impression that he's a "you love him" or "you hate him" type of guy...

- Randy

I shoot weddings and engagement photos for the most part. On average, thats 25-30 weddings a year and 40-50 e-shoots. I don't really have much time outside of that since I spend a lot of time deep in my editing workflow.

Wedding shots are the bread and butter. Photo journalism is second because news is every day.

paparazzi I think is the red light equivalent, and then the rest go from there.

I have seen all of it working in a photo processing store. Most are in fact wedding photographers, and some of them did forensic.. (not pretty). Landscape is hard to get into because so many people shoot their own and are satisfied with that.

As for modeling, artistic, nudes, etc, you really have to know people inside to get there because anyone can take a nudie pic, but most are looked at as strictly amateurish chattel.

wow, everyone on here seems to try to stay away from weddings, as for me im trying to book them!!! but i also shoot live concerts, band promotional pics, nightlife, and skateboarding as a profession

wow, everyone on here seems to try to stay away from weddings, as for me im trying to book them!!! but i also shoot live concerts, band promotional pics, nightlife, and skateboarding as a profession

What.....you've never seen "Bridezillas" ?? - I stay miles and miles away from them..

Always meet client before booking to see what their like.

If they are even show a monstrous personality for a moment, it's a 'sorry, I'm busy...'. :)

How many times does this question need to be asked?

Pros use whatever tools get the job done for them. For some, it's Canon. For some it's Nikon. For some, it's a pinhole camera.

I don't know what the other pros shoot, but I know Ken Rockwell shoots a D40.
I think you misunderstood his question; he said "pro" :lol:

EDIT: ha... oops, I interpreted this as "what brand do most pros use" ...

What you're actually asking, then, is "Where is the money in professional photography?" I think that answer to that is mostly weddings, portraits (and variations of those) and photojournalism. I'm interested in pretty well anything that allows me to be freely artistic (ie.: no client telling me "I want this shot to look like this, with that in it, using so-and-so lighting, blah blah blah), other than weddings and portraits.

Who is Ken Rockwell?
Before you are tempted to discover the answer to this, please choose one of the following options:

1. Kill yourself... or you'll wish you did after finding out who he is.
2. Add 127.0.0.1 kenrockwell.com to your hosts file. It will be the best thing you ever do for your photography.

Landscape is hard to get into because so many people shoot their own and are satisfied with that.

Landscape is difficult because it requires immense talent and has a very low success rate as a result.

but i also shoot live concerts...
That is also something I've gotten into recently, but is there a lot of money in that?

...band promotional pics
That is something I've ... not really gotten into. I'm always afraid that I won't be able to come up with any ideas.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back