What do photographers do during winter??

xokm811xo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I need some help. This is my first year in 'business'. And I've never gone through the winter months before and become familiar with the ups and downs of wedding seasons and slow seasons. I've realized, that we are currently in a slow season. I do a little bit of portraits as well as weddings, however ever since December, I haven't had any work what so ever. I'm going crazy. I have inquiries and people interested in setting something up with me, but as soon as we get talking, they always finalize our conversation with, 'Great! Let's set it up in spring, its too cold out right now.' I don't want the weather to stop me every year. Every session I've ever done, whether it be engagements or portraits or what have you, are always outside. I don't have a studio, and I'm not exactly a pro and indoor lighting, so my safe bet is always outdoors. Well I can't do that anymore because I can't just not shoot any jobs from December-March. I know other photographers do it!
I just invested a reflector and a soft box and am interested in getting started learning indoor portraits. I have a couple models that have already expressed interest in letting me practice on them. But the problem is.. where?? My house is not ideal. And I don't feel right intruding asking them if I can come to their house - especially when I don't know their set up. The only place I can think of is some kind of garden with greenhouses and doing it in there. I'm trying to think of a big well lit building (if there is such a thing) that I can use or something along those lines. But I'm at a loss. What do other people do without studios?? Help! :(

I don't really use a studio..the world is my studio, so when winter comes I'm taking photographs of winter life. Although I'm more of a free lancer rather than doing personal photos..I'm sorry I didn't have much input for you.

We hibernate.

Bacon and beer.

I don't have an answer for you I wish I did but I have to say, I have a great sense of humor but I think it's a bit disrespectful when an op ask such a serious question with obvious desperation and gets all these jokes for answers. I'm sure no one means to disrespect but I think the op livelihood deserves a serious answer here.

Depending on what your advertising budget is, on the low end, I'd consider putting some advertising in the local grocery store bulletin boards offering sale prices until March 30th. Set some family portrait package deals at near break-even prices. That will keep you busy and get some experience going. Of course, you'll have to set up some kind of studio (room) in your residence. It would likely be good practice and at the same time get more 'exposure' to potential future clients.

Bring on the Spring already!

Sorry, I had to say it. All I can think of is try marketing winter photography portraits. If you got any snow accumulation, see if your models will dress up in some nice winter clothing and do some shooting in a local park. I wished I had some real snow accumulation, it's just been cold and slight snow dusting or ice. It's driving me nuts!

km; as part of your responsibilities as an entrepreneur, you must sell your services.

Use this "down time" to further develop your business plan and get some work.

Aurgue on the internet.

I always say this over on the electrical forums I haunt: If it ain't walking into the house and plopping down dead on the dining room table, you gotta go out, kill it, and drag it home.

Attend wild parties, drink copious amounts of alcohol, wild sex. Find out that was part of our nap/dream, wake up and do the dishes.

Most reactions

Back