What do photographers do during winter??

... I don't have a studio, and I'm not exactly a pro and indoor lighting, so my safe bet is always outdoors. Well I can't do that anymore because I can't just not shoot any jobs from December-March...
There's lots of great outdoor work done in the winter; just surf through the 'People' and 'Professional' galleries; just because it's cold out, well, that's what jackets are for, but really if you have a slow time, why not put it to good use and PRACTICE YOUR LIGHTING??????????? Lighting is equally important out of doors, and I am willing to bet that you could be providing your clients a MUCH greater quality of work with some increased knoweldge in this essential skill.

Studio space is easy and cheap; grab the Yellow Pages and look up "studios"; if you're near a medium or larger urban centre than I'm willing to bet that someone has shared studio space available. In my area that goes anywhere from $25-50/hour to $150/month depending on space, location and amenities. Lots of dance studios are willing to rent by the hour during quiet times, just make sure that your insurance covers the location.

I'm a big fan of practicing still life lighting and such. Smoke shots,
Shots of glassware, etc. I rehash and re edit old photos. Study up on lighting techniques. Participate in the forum. Spend lots of money on gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a studio your options are severely limited if you live where it gets cold in the winter.
This winter has been particularly bad. It was -19°F outside (51° below freezing) when I got up this morning.

When I lived in San Diego and later in Tucson winter didn't impact my business as much as it did when I moved to Iowa.

So as mentioned winter, is a time to work on the business planning stuff - marketing, promotions, blogging, making YouTube videos, making sure your web site SEO is up to snuff, ongoing education, learning how to make paragraphs, etc

Aurgue on the internet.
Take a spelling class?

(I :heart: You runnah)
crap.....I just saw that ratssass beat me to this!

Bacon and beer.

Here, here! :cheers:

I think the op livelihood deserves a serious answer here.

I HIGHLY doubt the OP's "livelihood" depends on this. Taking into consideration the very "beginner-like" posts the OP has posted in the past, paired with the fact that he/she just wrote, "I just invested a reflector and a soft box" tells me that they are in NO WAY... or at the very least should not yet be attempting to be... a professional.

#readingcomprehensionFTW

km; as part of your responsibilities as an entrepreneur, you must sell your services.

Use this "down time" to further develop your business plan and get some work.

This is actually a lot of what I use winter for. Although I DID shoot a little into the colder season, most of this season was spent dealing with the retail rush (OMG, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE REMIND ME HOW HORRIBLE PEOPLE ARE IN MALLS AT CHRISTMAS?!), and planning out my marketing for my business, updating client-facing informational materials, etc.

But again... if you're new, and I gather you are, you should be using this time to practice. Find models on Model Mayhem who are willing to "sacrifice for their dream of becoming a super model" by standing out in the cold in front of your camera, while you wear 15 layers and tell them how awesome they are for being willing to do this for you.

"Man, it's cold... but I shouldn't even be complaining, because YOU are the one that is modeling... MAN you're a trooper! You're amazing! That looks great! You can't even TELL you're freezing half to death... and don't worry about those goosebumps... I can TOTES photoshop them out... and also make your skin less blue and more warm!"

Aurgue on the internet.

Also, this.

Attend wild parties, drink copious amounts of alcohol, wild sex. Find out that was part of our nap/dream, wake up and do the dishes.

OR...

Attend wild parties, drink copious amounts of alcohol, wild sex. Find out that was part of our nap/dream, wake up, see there are dishes that NEED to be done, but instead of doing that, you spend 10 hours scrolling mindlessly through Facebook.

sit around the house and pout, then check here and complain or fight. Some like to sit on here and bash newbies.

Hey. It's not bashing. It's called "tough love".

Studio space is easy and cheap; grab the Yellow Pages and look up "studios"; if you're near a medium or larger urban centre than I'm willing to bet that someone has shared studio space available. In my area that goes anywhere from $25-50/hour to $150/month depending on space, location and amenities. Lots of dance studios are willing to rent by the hour during quiet times, just make sure that your insurance covers the location.

Also this.

Last edited:
you keep a client list? Good chance to build one. And not be afraid to send notes to them to remind them of your presence. Maybe a few cold calls? Could not even be taking pictures but offering a product or service you didn't before with photos you already have on file from them. Photobook or something maybe?

We did four portrait sessions in January. One was a family session outside in the snow and the two were in client's homes, and one was a family reunion with the photos taken at the community center in their condo's complex--these were studio lighting on location.

All of these sessions were generated by complementary Gift Certificates we gave to Charitable Silent Auctions. These auctions happen ALL YEAR long--we had 3-auctions in January and 2-auctions in February ( this is the slow time of the year!)

We donated gift certificates to 36-auctions last year and averaged sales of $950.00 per session. This is a great way to become known in your area, give back to your community, and generate on-going business. Many times the certificates we donate in a given year are not used until the following year, so you must keep it going ALL YEAR LONG.

This is only ONE of the on-going marketing strategies we use to stay in business!

Oh and lots of sex. Photographers have some spare time to catch up on some of that goodness. Wait......that might just be me! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back