What do you consider high ISO? Today's standards

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SquarePeg, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    On my APSC Fuji I have auto iso set to a max of 1,600. Sometimes go to 3,200, but above that noise starts to be an issue.

I consider 3,200+ to be 'high'.

I'd rather swap lenses for a wide aperture prime than go beyond 3,200 but when using a telephoto for sport have used 6,400 which produces usable results for action, but not for portraits.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    very informative thread...... always a needed info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I pushed my canon 60d to max iso, and whilst I got a record shot but it’s got a load of noise, to much to be a good print

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nwcid

Nwcid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I am shooting with the Nikon D850. I use manual ISO as much as possible. However when I am shooting highly dynamic, fast moving action in varying light I typically set my ISO to auto with a max of 5000 when capturing people. After that I am typically not happy with the results.

I did some photos in a museum last year and I had my ISO on auto with a max of 10,000 and I had a lot of very usable images.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On my D7200, I consider 3200 my "normal" limit. So I consider "high ISO" to start at 6400.
    But when shooting sports, I will go up to 25600 (max that my D7200 will go up to), if I need to. The final image size in the yearbook is relatively small, so max IQ is not needed.

I have not determined this personal limit for my m4/3 cameras, yet.

But related to ISO is lens speed.
    There is an old saying "FAST glass wins."
    And in my experience, that is still true. I shoot gym sports (basketball and volleyball) with a pair of f/1.8 primes, so that I can shoot at ISO 3200, rather than with my f/3.5-5.6 zoom at ISO 12800.

Having said that, on vacation I will take my slower/lighter f/3.5-5.6 lens, and let the ISO go as high as it needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andrewdoeshair

andrewdoeshair No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Generally above 800 I get a notice in my brain that it might not even be worth shooting, call it doubt, warranted or not. I’ve had cases as high as 6400 though where the noise wasn’t detrimental. This was with a 5Diii for instagram purposes. Although I never did any personal research to find out how much noise I can get away with on IG, it was more so based on what I’d see during editing, and was 100% about the way I would FEEL about an image, not about what anyone else saw or commented on. When I’m shooting casually I’m typically in aperture priority with auto iso and I have the max set to 6400, although if I’m shooting that way I’m having fun and not worried about how I feel about the image quality. These days I’ve been shooting with an EOS RP and I do feel like it is even worse in the noise department, as far as when it shows up and how much, however I (maybe this is strange) feel like the RP has nicer looking noise than my 5Diii has. Though, still, with the RP anywhere above 800 I start to worry about noise. Although it’s probably not an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Move, I'm Gay. Praise Satan. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    On my camera (the first iteration of the Canon 5D), I try to avoid going over ISO 1250, and rarely go below ISO 200.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Years ago I shot my nieces wedding with a Nikon D70 at max ISO of 1600.
    She and her mother were HAPPY.
    So despite the reputation of the D70 being NOISY at max ISO, it worked out just fine.

When the D70 died, and was replaced by the D7200, the major upgrade for me was not the 24 MP sensor, it was the max ISO going from 1600 on the D70, way up to 25600 on the D7200.
    I could shoot night football games MUCH easier. Initially at 12800 with the 18-140, now at 6400 with the 70-200/4. With the 70-200 at f/4 (wide open), even at ISO 6400, I am able to get good images, where I can clearly see the eyes of the football players.

• Like Like x 2
  9. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If quality of light is good, iso 6400 is fine.

I have gone way higher with good results when shooting birth photography in a dark room with no flash. I have since switched to flash for births, but I would feel fine doing documentary shots at an even higher iso.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. MSnowy

MSnowy TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I push to whatever I need. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. This was last night iso 16,000

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Same here.

I have 4 bodies:

6D Mark II - 12800
    T7i - 3200
    60D - 800/1600
    30D - 800

It is one aspect of the 6D Mark II I really value. Prior to it I was not able to shoot night sports outdoors and indoor sports.

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I wish my 7D could go up to a clean 12800! But most of that wish is shooting action in very low lighting conditions. Indeed low light action is what pushes my camera most of the time; otherwise I'm often not in need of much beyond ISO 800 or so. That extra 12K is for when it gets darn dark, but I also need speed. Of course low light action is always about pushing the boundaries of the equipment. If I had pure clean ISO 12800 I'd probably be wishing for even more to push that boundary even further!

• Agree Agree x 1