Draken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.earthscape.110mb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey all,

C&C on this on this one please if you will :)

MistyRocks.jpg

Nice. Well composed. I admit, I do very much like the long exposure water effects. You're underexposed there on the right and your detail suffers because of it. My initial impressions were mixed with frustration because I found that I wanted to see more than I was able to. Next time I would go a little more exposure happy. Play some with lens filters to protect your sky and city light, if necessary.

Good work. Can't wait to see more.

I'm very new to this too- I think the picture looks great, and compared to my attempts at long exposure, you've still got a good amount of detail in those dark rocks.

I've taken shots in a situation, like that above, where there is a good flat horizon, where I think a graduated filter might work well, but there is a bright part of the sky, and a dark part. Other than HDR, what would people's suggestions be to stop down the bright corner, but keep the definition of the clouds in the upper right?

Hm, I think HDR would still be the best option if you think of it while taking the picture. If it's underexposed, you can't get that detail back, so it's better to overexpose the pictures if anything as far as I know. Also, I like the water effects with long exposures, but not so much the clouds.

Its better to underexpose than overexpose...You almost cant overexpose on this scene... except the city lights and sky above it...

Also new at this but think its a beautiful shot.

cheers for your comments guys and yeah underexposure is a better idea i was just stuck for time on this shot and this was at 30secs so maybe a minute exp with my new ND grad would make it perfect i will have to go back there sometime. And as for HDR - im not a fan to be honest i tried it out and didnt really like it plus this shot has motion in it so i wouldnt be able to take multiple exposures and i dont like the idea of making three exposures from the on shot seems .........somehow to easy to me i'd rather get a great single shot in camera using ND Grads to capture the sky

Cheers,

Mike.

The water is draining off to the left.

:lol: I love that joke but it seems no-one ever gets it when I say it. They're probably just rolling their eyes at me.

To OP: nice picture. A little dark, but still neat.

One thing I've learned with any night shot is err on the side of overbrightening it. For some WEIRD reason people have a tendency to think "oh it was dark then, so it needs to be dark now!", but in truth if it was as dark as it appeared to you when you were there, you would have no picture. :)

Give it a try.

Your name is as awesome as the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back