what do you guys think.

Jcoffee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im in the market to get some new lenses. Im pretty set on getting the canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L. I was also looking at either the 17-40mm f/4.0 or the 24-70mm f/2.8. I've read reviews on both and it doesnt seem like Ill be dissapointed with either but my main question when deciding is will i miss the gap between the 17-40mm and the 70-200mm.I only have the 18-55mm kit lens right now so Im not planning on useing it anymore after i buy these. I'll be using these for mostly general use, some nature stuff, and maybe some concerts. So what do you think?

Thanks

If the nature stuff deals with wide views, I would go with the 17-40. If not, than you do have the kit lens to fall back on, so get the 24-70.

It does depend on the kind of photography you do. Having the 2.8 aperture will give you more options as far as light and DOF goes (like for the concerts and portraits), but the difference between 17 and 24 can be important if you plan on being down there a lot for landscapes. If you are going to be doing a lot of portraits, I'd easily pick the 24-70 over the 17-40. Good portrait range for the 1.6 crop cameras (which it sounds like you have) is 50-85mm.

Most reactions

Back