What do you say when...

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
you want to take a portrait of a stranger?

"Do you mind if I take some pics of you?"
"What for?!" *suspicious*

Well, it isn't for a magazine or anything, just because you look interesting?

You just take the picture.

Asking permission ruins the spontanaity, unless you are looking for posed smiles.

Most people I've asked were willing to let me take their pictures. I usually take down their email and hand them a business card so they can get a copy.

But, as said above, just shoot first and then ask for permission. As soon as you ask they'll change their position, their hair, their attitude, and they'll unsucessfully try to pose, therefore ruining the shot you were hoping for.

Just take the picture, then ask, and take some more pictures.

Just to clarify, I mean portraits, not candids. I mean set up the flash, stand over here, portraits :)

Unless it's a proud young lady on a very important day and she's vomiting or doing something else extremely embarrasing. Then you're only asking to have your camera smashed into little pieces.

Generally speaking there are two schools of thought:

a:

or b:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bruce way every time

Yeah, much more compelling images.

That other guy, has nice images, but they are still "boring" posed shots.

I'd rather, pardon the cliche', "capture a moment" rather than create a false one. The latter is easier...*runs and hides from the stone throwers*

Last edited:
What do you say when...
you want to take a portrait of a stranger?
Get Byran Peterson's book: Beyond Portraiture. The Introduction and first 2 chapters will give you many insights and techniques on how to do it.

So it seems that I will need to develop some sort of "social skills"... well, that sucks. The Bruce Method won't work for me because 1) I live in the suburbs, no one walking around and 2) I wonder how many times he has been badly beaten doing that.

If you don't want to interact, then get the longest stabalized lens that you can afford. Also, know your rights and make sure you are not on private property or the person does not have a reasonable expectation to privacy at that time. Get some cards printed up with a name and email address. This will lend some seriousness to you. You can always shoot first and then hand them a card and just say you are out walking around taking pictures and they looked interesting. If they would like a copy of the pic, email you at the address on your card.

Don't be creepy or do something that LOOKS like it has poor intentions, but at the same time, don't be bullied by someone or drawn into a situation. You have rights and if someone tries to coerce you into giving up those rights through force or harrassment, then you can take action on that. The biggest thing is to remove yourself from the situation immediately if things get hostile.

Most reactions

Back