What do you suggest my first lens be?

Valeen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Im a newbie around here, I would appreciate some suggestions on a lens.
I just bought a Canon G9, Im looking for a zoom lens, something good but Im by no means a pro, so Im not looking to spend an arm and a leg on one!
Think I could get anything good for around $75.00(Maybe on Ebay)??

Im pretty clueless(its not that obvious, it is?:blushing:) about lenses.

Thanks in advance!

The G9 is a point and shoot (P&S) camera, also called a compact digital camera and not a single reflex camera (SLR). You cannot change the lens on it. The G9 already comes with a zoom lens: 7.4-44.4 mm (35mm equivalent: 35-210mm). What are you trying to achieve that you cannot do with your G9 at the moment?

Ok, I dont know crap about cameras, Im the first to admit that!
The associate at the store I bought the camera from said I could buy different lenses for the camera, a zoom lens is what I'm looking for.

I knew it was a P&S when I bought it, Im not trying to achieve professional photos, but I was trying to purchase a camera that I could attach a zoom lens to.
I feel pretty damn dumb now that I bought the camera.

If I cant attach a lens, then I am seriously thinking about returning the camera and taking my business elsewhere. Even though I like the results I get from the camera as it is, I would like to be able to zoom further than what it does now. I dont know all the technical terms(sorry, I said I was a newbie!), all I know is I want to get closer lol.

Since now I know I cannot attach a lens, can you suggest a cheaper(around$ 5-600.00 SLR)? Am I asking for too much? Probably!

Ok...I found an Ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot...yZ146254QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I hope I can post links here.
Anyway, what are the lenses that come with the camera? Are they just pointless junk that you cant attach to the camera?

I sound so stupid and clueless.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, I dont know crap about cameras, Im the first to admit that!
The associate at the store I bought the camera from said I could buy different lenses for the camera, a zoom lens is what I'm looking for.

I knew it was a P&S when I bought it, Im not trying to achieve professional photos, but I was trying to purchase a camera that I could attach a zoom lens to.
I feel pretty damn dumb now that I bought the camera.

If I cant attach a lens, then I am seriously thinking about returning the camera and taking my business elsewhere. Even though I like the results I get from the camera as it is, I would like to be able to zoom further than what it does now. I dont know all the technical terms(sorry, I said I was a newbie!), all I know is I want to get closer lol.

Since now I know I cannot attach a lens, can you suggest a cheaper(around$ 5-600.00 SLR)? Am I asking for too much? Probably!

Ok...I found an Ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot...yZ146254QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I hope I can post links here.
Anyway, what are the lenses that come with the camera? Are they just pointless junk that you cant attach to the camera?

I sound so stupid and clueless.

The best dollar value is the Nikon D40 dSLR. You do need to be slightly careful when you buy lenses for it. Autofocus functions only with AF-S lenses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What you are looking for is a telephoto lens (not a zoom lens). The lenses in the link are attachment to put in front of the lens of your camera. They will noticeably degrade the image quality, but with the '2X telephoto lens', you will get more magnification (bigger subject in the frame).

Ok, I understand now. Im still a little ticked that I thought I was getting something I wasnt. But hey, thats life.

I will buy a telephoto lens and see where it gets me. Thanks for all of your help!

Socrates: Thanks for the suggestion, if I decide to take this camera back, I will deff. look into the D40.

The G9 is a point and shoot (P&S) camera, also called a compact digital camera and not a single reflex camera (SLR). You cannot change the lens on it. The G9 already comes with a zoom lens: 7.4-44.4 mm (35mm equivalent: 35-210mm). What are you trying to achieve that you cannot do with your G9 at the moment?

I'm not really understanding what your problem is... as stated here, the G9 has an optically stabilized lens equivalent to 35-210mm (which is a massive range for any zoom lens). You can get the 2x telephoto or a wide angle converter lens which will change your effective focal lengths.

Most reactions

Back