Not open for further replies.

shuttercraft

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mwilbourn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I posted on yesterday. This is one from today.

Carliealli1of1.jpg

I find the power lines very distracting... as well as the halos around the different objects (as well as the subject).

Nice picture, but what's the "glow" all around her, and the top of the building?

I'm going to guess that the glow / halo is because the lighting didn't work the way the op wanted, and he / she brushed around the subject & building to bring the exposure up to an exceptable level.

i assumed the crazy halo was from oversharpening.

it says 18, plan to go pro at 20. Pro at what, exactly?

It doesn't look like they're from the same picture. It looks more like she was 'shopped in to me. But then again, this isn't really my style. I always like to think of a saying my grandmother (who is a painter) told me about one of my photos I couldn't decide if I liked. "Art has so many different facets, it's impossible for everyone to like a given subject. But if you like it, someone else is bound to."

Do you not have anything better to do than to denigrate anyone who aspires to do better? I don't think I've read a single constructive critique from you. Just attacks.

Yes, it's unlikely they will become a professional photographer in two years. But it's a GOAL. Their supposed to be over ambitious. That's the point. To push yourself.

That said; Shuttercraft, I would recommend a less noisy background. Like others mentioned, the power lines pull your eyes away from the subject. Also, you might try a longer focal length to throw the background out of focus.

I like the low perspective and the pose, save the head position.

You missed editing that part of the photo between her arm and torso.
For me the post processing is a bit heavy handed and unbalanced.

I'd say the background was a poor choice, as was not having her tilt her head forward just enough so we weren't looking up her nostrils. With her chin lowered you would have needed to raise the light to camera right to keep the nose shadow even with the bottom of the nose.

The power lines coming out of the side of her head are kind of distracting.

It looks like her jeans are fluorescing from the IR light the speedlights produce. A Skylight B, UV filter on the lens could probably control that.

I think the picture of the girl is great, the jeans were the first thing I noticed, maybe because it was the brightest? Also her shirt looks faded in parts? Not sure if it was, or if it's in PP. I agree with everyone else that the background is distracting.

--- Well said LCars

Do you not have anything better to do than to denigrate anyone who aspires to do better? I don't think I've read a single constructive critique from you. Just attacks.

Yes, it's unlikely they will become a professional photographer in two years. But it's a GOAL. Their supposed to be over ambitious. That's the point. To push yourself.

Man oh man not you again, Petraio Prime, Like LCARSx32 may have mentioned in different words, if you want to C&C do so, if you have nothing good to say or no advice to give, please take your rude comments elsewhere because they are definately not appreciated here. This forum is to HELP new photographers out by evolving their skills in this art. However it is NOT meant to push people into the ground with rude comments like the ones you have stated in previous threads.

That being said I think alot of these people here are arguing the same thing, a very noisy background. Thee is alot going on like the power lines and the shading effects, I think I know what you were trying to do. I love busy photos but thats just me so really I kind of like this photo. For portraits however you want to make the subject pop out of the image.

Hope some of this help, and good luck in the future.

Man oh man not you again, Petraio Prime, Like LCARSx32 may have mentioned in different words, if you want to C&C do so, if you have nothing good to say or no advice to give, please take your rude comments elsewhere because they are definately not appreciated here. This forum is to HELP new photographers out by evolving their skills in this art. However it is NOT meant to push people into the ground with rude comments like the ones you have stated in previous threads.

That being said I think alot of these people here are arguing the same thing, a very noisy background. Thee is alot going on like the power lines and the shading effects, I think I know what you were trying to do. I love busy photos but thats just me so really I kind of like this photo. For portraits however you want to make the subject pop out of the image.

Hope some of this help, and good luck in the future.

There has to be some basis for starting. The photo looks very sloppy to me. Junk in the background, some kind of dodging poorly done. Pose is unremarkable.

I am just curious why the individual wants to "go pro" at 20. It takes years, if not decades to get really good and to build up a clientelle. The goal is unreasonable. In the photography business, there are too many wanna-be 'pros' already, and many excellent experienced pro who are starving because there's never enough work for them all. For these reasons I see no reason to encourage anyone to become a professional photographer, even those who are very good. Even if you're very good you'll likely starve.

To reach the standard of work demanded by paying clients who hire professionals is very hard. It takes enormous effort and dedication, something that not everyone who wants to be a pro is willing to do. Everyone thinks it's easy. It's not.

There are professionals whom I know personally and respect, but whose work is in some ways not as strong as it could be:

http://www.rycusphoto.com/

I see flaws in many of these (not major ones, though) and of course location work is not a walk in the park.

Jeff is retiring soon, and he told me he can't wait. Dealing with the demands of clients gets old, I'm sure.

Be careful what you wish for: you just might get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back