What do you think about IR and IR converted cameras?

sarahashleyphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you have an IR converted camera? Do you think there is a "best camera for IR"? I am about to get a Canon PowerShot Pro1 to convert to IR. I have made this choice because the camera is cheap and its cheeper than a SLR to get converted. I have also heard and seen that it makes great IR photos.

Eh I just prefer film for IR photos. Its a lot cheaper then getting a digital cam modded. Granted it's kind of a PITA because you have to keep it cool, but I love it. I used it for paranormal investigation. Also, to answer your question, I dont really think there is a best camera. I mean a dslr is going to give better photos for the most part, but I think that powershot is a good choice, cause lets face it, who wants to mess with a 700 camera lol.

Eh I just prefer film for IR photos. Its a lot cheaper then getting a digital cam modded. Granted it's kind of a PITA because you have to keep it cool, but I love it. I used it for paranormal investigation. Also, to answer your question, I dont really think there is a best camera. I mean a dslr is going to give better photos for the most part, but I think that powershot is a good choice, cause lets face it, who wants to mess with a 700 camera lol.

I haven't tried IR film. I do have a Seagull TLR though. Do they make 120mm IR film? Ill have to look into that. Still 120mm film is $12 a roll to develop and idk not too cheap for like a box of 5 rolls. Thats why I dont shoot film much. Well that and because the photography program at my college is all digital now. They took the darkroom out right before I got there I was so disappointed. I agree though. I saw a 5D on the list of cameras that they modify and I was like why would someone want to do that to a 5D? I would like a normal 5D =)

I'm not sure if they make it in 120mm. IR film is quite a big bit more expensive then regular film though, so you might wanna just stick to your plan of modifying that digital. Plus the best ir film imo (kodak hie) was done away with.

i have a converted fuji 9100 that i like as it allows me to see what i am shooting and to hand hold.

on the other hand i also have a wraten87 filter that i use on my d100;however, this means a tripod and manually focusing before adding the filter as one can't see a thing.

both are great , give different results.

have you checked out maxmax or life pixel for camera options?

i have used film. that is why the wratten filter ; however, i find digital faster and easier and more predictable than film.

the grain patten with film is terrific, but film can be very finky and can take lots of testing to learn to control.

since kodak stopped making IR film i haven't tested those films that are left.

on the other hand i also have a wraten87 filter that i use on my d100;however, this means a tripod and manually focusing before adding the filter as one can't see a thing.

I have a Hoya IR filter that I have used on my 40D. I have having to compose then put the filter on though so that is why I want a converted camera.

have you checked out maxmax or life pixel for camera options?

I have researched and decided on the Canon PowerShot Pro1 as I said in my first post. Unfortunately life pixel does not convert that camera. I am going to use lezot.com. Its the only site that I can find that converts Pro1s.

120 IR Film: Black & White Film Infrared Type Film | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
I must say that for $12 you could also buy some Kodak Xtol and some Ilford Rapid fix and develop about 20 rolls yourself. It's a lot of fun to play with. And now back to the topic at hand:

In Digital IR there is not "Best" for a converted camera. Each camera once converted to IR (i.e. with the LPfilter removed) will react equally to IR light. There are better and bests though for non-converted cameras, and unfortunately the result is always the same, usually crap and requiring a lot of photoshop work.

Is the Canon Powershop Pro1 camera one of the ones that can have their firmware hacked to produce RAW files? One thing that is important for IR photography is the ability to finely tune the white balance. It does cut out a good half an hour of correction in photoshop having a decent white balance to begin with.

All I can say is go for it. My D200 will be converted before the end of the year.

Btw here are some photos taken with the Efke IR820 (35mm variety):
Fingle Head IR on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fingle Heads IR on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Even if you do convert the camera I highly recommend you have a play with this film too.

Is the Canon Powershop Pro1 camera one of the ones that can have their firmware hacked to produce RAW files?

It docent have to be hacked it can already produce raw files. Thats why I chose it. Its small, apparently has a L lens, can shoot RAW, & its pretty cheep right now since its an older camera.

I changed my mind Im waiting and getting the Canon D60 because I want to be able to use my lensbaby and other lenses with it. Its $400 some but It should be worth it. I have to wait until after I shoot the prom I shoot every year though because right now I dont have the money. =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back