What do you think about the use of flash in this pic?

ConradM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Snapped this tonight because a buddy got a new gun and wanted to run out to the desert. Took me a about 10 tires to dial everything in, but I think it came out ok.

1/100 ISO200 f1.8 - flash was set to 0 compensation.

zzzzzMJmodMedium.jpg

While I can appreciate catching the flying casing, for me it's too much of a distraction to the rest of the image. Somehow, perhaps with a reflector from just off camera right there needs to be some light on the end of the barrel to separate it from the dark background. As for the flash itself, looks like on camera flash with flat lighting on the shooter, it's a bit too evenly lit with no shadows to give it more depth.

We won't mention the somewhat poor technique of the shooter.

While I can appreciate catching the flying casing, for me it's too much of a distraction to the rest of the image. Somehow, perhaps with a reflector from just off camera right there needs to be some light on the end of the barrel to separate it from the dark background. As for the flash itself, looks like on camera flash with flat lighting on the shooter, it's a bit too evenly lit with no shadows to give it more depth.

We won't mention the somewhat poor technique of the shooter.

Oh, in no way is this supposed to be a photo that follows the "rules". It's just a picture of a guy shooting his gun. I was more concerned about WB and flash strength and what not.

I would love to hear why his technique is poor as I was giving him instruction. :lmao:

I would love to hear why his technique is poor as I was giving him instruction. :lmao:

Front hand should be under the foregrip, supporting it, right elbow should be lower, tucked against his side, and he needs to be using the tip of his finger, not curling it around the trigger.

WB looks fine, but as for the flash, it depends on your intent. The area that is exposed is reasonably exposed. If you want a shot for a text-book, than both his back and the area between the foresight and flash-arrester need more illumination, and if it's art, it's rather flat, boring and as mentioned, 'on-camera "flashy".

[h=2] What do you think about the use of flash in this pic?
[/h]Seems to me you didn't have a choice. If no flash was used we wouldn't be seeing much of anything :)

As far as the results, you've got a lot to learn if you can't tell that this image sucks. As mentioned, part of the barrel is basically gone. Also, look at the skin tone difference between the hands and the face of your buddy. Does that tell you something? Don't you think they should be somewhat even?

It's a fine snapshot but if your trying to do better than a snapshot, you will need to learn about lighting.

Front hand should be under the foregrip, supporting it, right elbow should be lower, tucked against his side, and he needs to be using the tip of his finger, not curling it around the trigger.

I agree about the right elbow, he's chicken winging it. But old habits die hard. As far as the reaction hand being under the foregrip, that's actually an older method similar to gripping the magwell. The modern method is to rotate your hand so that your thumb is on top of the barrel and you're elbow is turned out. His reaction hand should also be farther out but it's a carbine so you do what you can. It's just like gripping a pistol.

Video for reference -

Last edited by a moderator:
[h=2] What do you think about the use of flash in this pic?
[/h]Seems to me you didn't have a choice. If no flash was used we wouldn't be seeing much of anything :)

As far as the results, you've got a lot to learn if you can't tell that this image sucks. As mentioned, part of the barrel is basically gone. Also, look at the skin tone difference between the hands and the face of your buddy. Does that tell you something? Don't you think they should be somewhat even?

It's a fine snapshot but if your trying to do better than a snapshot, you will need to learn about lighting.

lol, I've got no control over the redness in his face... It was below freezing. :lmao:

You were shooting at ISO200... if it were me, I would have at least tried cranking ISO to 1600-3200 or maybe even 6400 depending on if it handles noise well at that level and trying to expose the background just a little bit (might have still turned out black though). This would have also helped with the disappearing gun and maybe given the photo a better sense of depth.

You were shooting at ISO200... if it were me, I would have at least tried cranking ISO to 1600-3200 or maybe even 6400 depending on if it handles noise well at that level and trying to expose the background just a little bit (might have still turned out black though). This would have also helped with the disappearing gun and maybe given the photo a better sense of depth.

Noted. I'll trying playing around with that next time.

As far as the reaction hand being under the foregrip, that's actually an older method similar to gripping the magwell. The modern method is to rotate your hand so that your thumb is on top of the barrel and you're elbow is turned out. His reaction hand should also be farther out but it's a carbine so you do what you can. It's just like gripping a pistol.

If he's going to be using that technique, then he needs to rotate his hand so it's inline with his forearm, and his thumb is more on top. See the unnatural twist in his wrist? He would be a lot more steady either turning it in so it's more under the forearm, or turning it out so that it is more like the video you posted. One thing to note is that the method in the video is good if you have a foregrip, as it will allow the wrist to be in a more relaxed position.

Most reactions

Back