What do you think of my photo's?

Why have you posted so many images that you haven;t edited, but tell us you will edit before trying to sell?

If you edit first to the point where you're happy with the image then you'll obviously get better feedback.

As for the shots thmeselves, none particularly jump out at me as being outstanding. They're all good and the aerial ones are a bit more interesting but other than that they're no better than many holiday snaps.

AS has been mentioned keep your horizon level and not necessarily in the middle of the image.
I'd agree with whoever said a good image is one showing a perspective i didn't or couldn't see. That's because if i saw that particular perspective i'd have taken the shot already. That's also why i find the aerial ones more interesting.
You argued about someone from china never having seen chicago and therefore never had that perspective. With all due respect, none of your shots are anything more than holiday shots that any competent photographer would have taken.

Why have you posted so many images that you haven;t edited, but tell us you will edit before trying to sell?
i'm new around here. live and learn I guess.

As for the shots thmeselves, none particularly jump out at me as being outstanding. They're all good and the aerial ones are a bit more interesting but other than that they're no better than many holiday snaps.
I can live with this. my goal is not to get a spread in some magazine. or win any awards. just some nice photographs that people can look at and say, chicago is a cool city.if they want to buy one, by all means, be my guest.

You argued about someone from china never having seen chicago and therefore never had that perspective. With all due respect, none of your shots are anything more than holiday shots that any competent photographer would have taken.
I dont doubt that for a second. but why should that stop or discourage me from taking it? I love photography, but what I think is a great photo might be completely different from your average "pro".

for me, I enjoy taking shots that I want to hang on my wall. and for others to hang on their wall.

the impression I get from most here, is that they are trying to get on the cover of a book or a spread in a magazine or to stare at the photo and find some hidden meaning. thats all well and good, I see nothing wrong with that. many people here have a great eye for it and are very talented.

so am I taking "holiday shots" ? ok if the pros say thats what they are. then I guess thats what they are. I think there is a big market for people who enjoy those type of shots. i'm one of them.

thanks for your input, I have learned alot here in a short time

I'm no pro and would never claim to be.

By saying they're like holiday shots i wasn't trying or meaning to discourage you - i hope i haven't.

What i meant is that in trying to get someone to buy an image it must be something particularly good or mean something to them. If most competent photographers would take a particular shot why would they buy one that someone else took?

Try to be unusual - i normally find that going low is the easiest way of getting something that most others wouldn't think of. Some shots will be disappointing but you'll get some really cool unusual shots that no one else would have thought of.
Abstracts are another good way - instead of the building, what about the reflection in the lake/pond beside it?

When i asked about non edited images i was meaning that it would enhance your reputation more if you only showed the best of your images. And AFTER editing.
I was once asked "How come all your shots are so good". I replied, "They're not, i just show you the good ones!" I don't show the images i that aren't among the best I've taken. i almost never show unedited versions.

when i was on holiday in November in NYC for 7 days i took around 850 shots - only around 5 were added to my website. i showed family quite a few but many were never seen by anyone except me.

Be selective and critical of your own work.,
Also try to be objective - i'm sure that Chicago street is a great place to be and has brilliant atmosphere but for anyone who doesn't know the street, does the shot convey that feeling? Why would i buy it if i didn't know what it was like?

I'd also point out that most here do not look for hidden meaning and most do not try to get on the cover of a mag (although it would be great!) I think you'll find that most are very critical of their own work and of others when asked for the reasons i've detailed.

Glad you've learned a lot - that's the whole point!:thumbup:

Ah, so these are some of the pictures you took with the point and shoot whilst working on the top of skyscrapers?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back