What do you think?

Okay-I will send you a full size img. Is the black background better or should it be white? Do you think I need better/new lights? My lightbox is acutally in my 'fiber studio' aka my basement:O) As it's a bit large I really don't have space for it else where (unless I got one of those fold up jobbies-then not sure which one is good or better kwim?)
Thank you (I do have photoshop on my desktop-but the computer is down right now until we replace it with a new one)

BTW LOVE the photo in your sig.

Last edited:
Annie, I sent you a PM on the email, etc.
I would rather a white background so I can judge the exposure better.

Lew

A couple of issues.
These are underexposed because the white background influences the sensor which wants to make enverything medium grey - and so it does.
The DOF is too shallow and the lens is not exposing at its best f stop
The resolution will be fine for this small size picture.
The camera is too simple to allow making any exposure compensations.

So that you don't have to do much post processing, I suggest these things.

Get a point and shoot that will allow exposure compensation and shooting in manual.
That will allow you to choose a smaller aperture (bigger number) that will give a greater depth of field and more clarity.
Compensate for the effect of the background by increasing exposure.
Back away a bit to increase dof

Get and use a tripod. ( a small Gorillapod that works on a table would be fine.)
Experiment with having the lights on one side slightly further away. this will allow for some shadowing and create texture.

I don't know P&S so I can't advise on that but if you have no other outlet for advice, I would call BHPhoto and speak to them (not on a Sunday, they are insanely busy).
I can imagine that P&S ~$300 for good quality, tripod is very cheap.

Here is the original

woolorig.jpg

and here is a slightly edited version.

wooledited.jpg

and here is how this looks at the site size with the background lightened a bit

wooleditedsmall.jpg

Okay, I did that:O) I also checked out your site, and placed a comment on one I really loved (though, they are all quite lovely) Is the fifth line similarly important in photography composition as it is in paintings? I seem to notice that in some of your work, but it may be something else all together.

Here are two new photo's I took using my tripod and instead of reflecting two of my lights off the ceiling of my lightbox I directed them at the subject, but as you can see with the saturated blues and purples it does not work the same
DSCN4504-1-1.jpg
DSCN4503-1.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg

DSCN4508-1.jpg

Not sure if this is right, but the first pic I thought was nice, but may be underexposed, the second is overexposed, the third has happened before and I am not sure what happened, and the fourth seems nice and accurate. Am I interpreting them correctly? I think if I can interpret what is wrong with them, then I can fix them (overexposed, underexposed etc.) I also did use the image sharpen funx. on my mac iphoto, but I don't have access to my photoshop program right now (until we get a new desktop) Maybe I should just break down and get photoshop for my macbook?

Thank you for all your help! I am looking into getting a Nikon D3000 the comparable to the canon rebel series. I did use the tripod and it did improve the resolution, and I moved the lighting around and that also helped.

The shutters are not hiding a window, they are a divider between two rooms in my basement! lol! So, either I get a smaller pop-up set up and smaller (but better) lights so I can have it upstairs, or I will have to stick with the one I made. Do you know if any of the small pop up ones are good? It's difficult to 'know' what to get when you are so 'green' about photography:O) Thank goodness for all of you that help out-I really appreciate you taking your time:O)
Annie

Is the fifth line similarly important in photography composition as it is in paintings? I seem to notice that in some of your work, but it may be something else all together.

The 'fifth line' may be important but I have no idea what it is.
As you may have noticed, and people here have mentioned repeatedly, I actually know nothing about composition - but am happy to learn.

Thanks for the comment.

Lew

I like Lew's 'slightly edited' version, lightened and at site size. If I knew how to spin, I'd want some of that fiber.

Me too! I just love how he made the fiber show. Spinners, knitters, fiber arts, we are all so into texture, we want to 'touch' everything, and that pic makes me want to touch the fiber. I think I am going to invest in a very basic DSLR (after we buy a new computer so I can access our photoshop program) because this Nikon coolpix just isn't going to do the job I would like to see.

Lol! Well, when I took a few art classes in college my art teacher talked about how to make the eye follow the painting and some other stuff (I only remember the fifth line because he was impressed that I had used it in one of my paintings-not purposely on my part-I just liked the way it looked)

Okay guys-I know I may be driving you nuts:O) BUT, a friend at work has a Nikon D40 for sale with the 18-55 zoom and the 55-200 zoom lens for sale and let me try it out. I haven't read the manual etc. but took a few pics to just 'see' how different it was and got this on the P setting (not sure what that is, but know it's an exposure compensation setting and the color looked good on it)
DSC_0059-1.jpg

This was my 'best shot' on my Nikon coolpix
DSCN4504-1-1.jpg

Now, I would not go so far as to say the first one on the Nikon D40 SLR is a 'good' picture, but was very impressed with the accuracy in the color and just how overall different the image is just doing a fast (yes, I used the tripod) point & shoot pic!!!!

If you can get a good deal on this (checking prices on ebay) this would surely suit your needs and even give you a little more camera to play around with. It allows shooting in manual and exposure compensation.

There seems to be two versions of both the body and the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses so make sure you get the current value for the correct version.
I'm certain that someone here can chime in and give you some info.

Re; driving us nuts.
Annie, compared to many of the people who come here demanding help, you are a charming and pleasant person to work with.

When you actually start working with the camera, we can walk you through the issue of finding the best f stop and the Depth of Field control you need or at least point you to good tutorials.

Lew

Thank you:O) She would like $700 for it, and it seems to be about $200 less than I would pay for the body and both lenses (though, honestly I don't think I need both lenses, my husband will surely enjoy them:O) I will read the manual and try and figure out a few more things, and also check the two models to make sure it's a reasonable price.

Thank you for all your help! I will be back when I read and play some more, I have the weekend to decide.

Annie, it is much easier to help you, as Traveller already said, because you have worked with us to tell us where you are at, what you are trying to do, and what you have to work with. It's then possible to figure out what the missing pieces/processes are and tell you about them. When people come in and ask very open-ended questions (essentially asking the forum members to give the information they should have searched for themselves), and don't set the context (as you did), then it becomes a guessing game as to what they are really after. Ignorance is normal when starting something new, but laziness is less forgivable. So we (at least I) find your approach refreshing and I'm sure we can help you more down the road.

As for your materials, I keep wanting to see them large. Have you considered linking the pictures of your samples to larger images where the prospective buyers can see the fibers and colours in more detail? I found the large image that Traveller posted much more inviting in terms of seeing the fiber and wanting to feel its softness. The small images don't quite convey that sensual quality.

Hold off before you buy that, podner

There are two versions of D40 and two versions of those lenses.
Even for the better version the D40x, $700 is a lot of money for a used, non-refurbished camera and lenses.
Have a look at this ebay link before you buy.

There is a finite shutter life to those.
Post a link or send me a full-size picture taken with that camera and I can read the number of shutter actuations it has had.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OY! It is NOT even the D40x version, it is the regular D40 version (not that I think that's bad-just the e-bay is such a better price). Wonder why that didn't come up when I searched? Maybe I didn't use the right words. Well, my word, now I REALLY have to thank you lol!!! She said (my MANAGER;O() she doesn't know much about DSLR's either, so maybe she didn't realize (I'm going with that). I will either e-mail her with the link to see what she would like to change her price to, and obviously do more research. That camera is no longer available (archived) at the Nikon site, and I think the D3100 is what they offer as comparable.

I would think her price should be more like $300? or $350? Will check the shutter life as well. She can't really base her re-sell price anywhere near what she may have paid for it (that's technology I guess) shame-when you buy a good spinning wheel you can sell those things fairly fast and at around 80-85% of what you paid for it, they hold their value.

If you were here I would have to hug you, you know that right? I even think my husband might hug you lol!

Most reactions

Back