What do you think?

Stacylouwho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_6773.jpg
I have been playing with my camera a bit and LR. What do you think of this CC please?

Not bad, but there are a couple of issues. (1) is that the child's face is soft, due, I think to missed focus. I'm not sure where the point of focus was, but it wasn't on the child's face, and shooting at f3.2 with a 50mm lens, your DoF was probably in the area of 6" or less. This is really too shallow unless you know exactly what your distances are. Remember, even though you can shoot fast, you don't always need to. Try working in the f5.6 - 8 range until you get a better feel for DoF. (2) is lighting. The exposure on the child's face isn't bad, but the use of a fill light (OCF, reflector, etc) would have helped a lot. It would have added brightness and depth to the eyes, and would have reduced the brightness of the background, rendering it less distracting.

My thoughts.

Putting aside the poor composition I think you displayed one very good technique that so many others fail..... you exposed for the subject and in a challenging manner! The rest will fall in place with practice.

edit: Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens: EF50mm f/1.8 II
Image Date: 2013-04-20
Focal Length: 50mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 (Windows)

There's no reason to be at ISO 400....turn that back down!

Not bad, but there are a couple of issues. (1) is that the child's face is soft, due, I think to missed focus. I'm not sure where the point of focus was, but it wasn't on the child's face, and shooting at f3.2 with a 50mm lens, your DoF was probably in the area of 6" or less. This is really too shallow unless you know exactly what your distances are. Remember, even though you can shoot fast, you don't always need to. Try working in the f5.6 - 8 range until you get a better feel for DoF. (2) is lighting. The exposure on the child's face isn't bad, but the use of a fill light (OCF, reflector, etc) would have helped a lot. It would have added brightness and depth to the eyes, and would have reduced the brightness of the background, rendering it less distracting.

thanks for your input! :D

Most reactions

Back