What Does the 'mm' Mean?

Hey all,

What does 'mm' mean in the sense of camera lenses (ie; 18-55mm kit lens)? It can't stand for millimeter.. can it?:blushing:

Thanks,

Phil,

Yes it can. However it's not referring to what you think its referring to. The MM is the ". . .distance between the front of the image sensor (or film in a film camera) and the optical center of the lens when the lens is focused at infinity," - or focal length to be brief.

And I'm sure a majority of people new to photography assumed it meant how far can the lens see (as in yards) - which I suppose is true in an indirect sense.

if that is tha case how can you know hoe far the lent can see?

If I understand how this works, the MM is the measurement of how much magnification the lens can "see" at infinity (which should be the end of a lens focal length). Thus a higher MM lens will have a higher magnification and will enable you to get in closer.

Now how all this works with focus distance, I don't know.

As long as the light is not being blocked or distorted all lenses can see forever. Point a lens at a star; it's many light years away, yet you can still see it.

Usually the longer the focal length the greater the magnification though. Sometimes magnification is described like 1:4 or 1:1. 1:4 would mean that at the lens' max magnification the subject will be 1/4th real life size on the film or sensor. 1:1 would mean that the subject would be life size at the film or sensor. Imagine laying a dime on your sensor (just imagine, don't really do that ;) ); with some cameras the dime would actually be larger than the sensor. If the dime covers most of the sensor then when you make enlargements the dime will cover most of the print (with a lens capable of 1:1).

Most reactions

Back