What Film? (Compact Camera)

Blitz55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, may be a silly question, but I'm doing a fun little challenge / game with a friend and we are going to thrift shops in search of a cheap old compact film camera.
As I look one thing did come to mind, what ISO film to use in these? I see no setting for ISO on these let alone any manual controls really and for the life of me I can't remember how that works in these cameras. I've only ever used film in my old Pentax K-1000 but that's all manual.

EDIT: The camera I ended up getting at the thrift sore was an old Nikon Fun Touch 6. (EDIT: That Fun Touch didn't end up working, got another one that is, thanks for the help in here.)

400?
800?
Does the camera know?

I did do a google search but I kept coming up with (Best Compact Camera) results.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The camera may know using the DX code on the cannister. But since we don't know what camera you have, we can't directly answer your question.

The camera may know using the DX code on the cannister. But since we don't know what camera you have, we can't directly answer your question.

True I kind of figured the type of camera may come into play. But you are also helping me out there. I couldn't remember if the camera may be able to read it or not. Once I grab one I'll post the kind.

Thanks.

Some cameras read the code on the film canister, others you have to input the film ISO via a dial or lever.
Where they put the ISO input mechanism can literally be anyplace on the camera; bottom, top, front of lens, back, . . . So you have to look for it.

The Pentax K 1000 has the ASA (ISO) setting on the shutter speed knob. You set the ISO by lifting the knob and rotating it to the correct film speed.

Once the film speed is set, than you do the needle in the view finder adjustment with shutter and aperture. You also need an LR44 coin type battery for the exposure meter.

It is a good little camera.

Good luck

So at the Thrift Store I ended up finding a Nikon Fun Touch 6.
I have no idea how good this will be but it should be fun. It was the best working camera I could find, few others that looked nice, but busted battery doors or I didn't have the kind of battery they needed to even see if it worked. This one has a very big view finder on it, nice and bright.

On film it was usually referred to as "ASA" (you might see something for ASA setting).

Note that many old cameras do not have a built-in light meter. Setting the ASA was really just to calibrate the meter (the film is whatever it is... the dial doesn't change that, it really just helps the meter provide more meaningful shutter-speed/f-stop settings.)

If you're using a hand-held meter, you set the ASA (ISO) on the meter, take your reading, and it will provide exposure settings that you dial in on the camera (but you don't actually dial in the ASA ... you just dial in the suggested shutter speed and f-stop).

If you're using a hand-held meter, you set the ASA (ISO) on the meter, take your reading, and it will provide exposure settings that you dial in on the camera (but you don't actually dial in the ASA ... you just dial in the suggested shutter speed and f-stop). flashmasters

Last edited:
If you're using a hand-held meter, you set the ASA (ISO) on the meter, take your reading, and it will provide exposure settings that you dial in on the camera (but you don't actually dial in the ASA ... you just dial in the suggested shutter speed and f-stop). on ((Amateur attempt at including spam has been deleted))

Spam has been reported.

It's been a little more than a decade since digital more or less started supplanting film, and I still occasionally find myself in mourning.

Most reactions

Back