What gear to get for a new DSLR owner?

Unsung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to DSLR photography with the arrival of my Nikon D3100 today. I'm already set on the lenses I plan to purchase later on (which is why I spent not as much on the body). However, I'm not certain of what accessories would be good investments. I'd like to spend not too much on accessories. I have these possibilities down so far:
Filters (Would a UV filter be useful to protect my lens at all times? Of course, I'm not using film and the UV filter can degrade image quality slightly. I could use a lens hood. I am planning on polarizer(s) and ND filter(s).)
Camera bag (I do not plan to move my equipment often, but is one worth having? What would be a good method to carry around a second lens while outside?)
Carbon fiber tripod (Around ~$70. Since a DSLR is considerably more massive than a point-and-shoot, I'm not sure if this will keep the camera considerably safer than my cheapo tripod.)
JOBY Gorillapod (Is one worth it for a DSLR? It's definitely highly portable and relatively inexpensive.)
Monopod (What kind of events that don't allow tripods and extra uses that would make this worth it?)
Camera flash (I'm leaning towards not; I don't think the D3100 supports wireless flashes built-in anyways. These can get more expensive than the lenses I plan to get and my light bulbs are enough for still life.)
Spare battery (I don't spend much time away from a charger, but is it good to have as a backup?)
And any other useful equipment.

Good luck finding a decent Carbon Fiber tripod for $70.

I have a used aluminum tripod http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...tos-professional-aluminum-mt-9360-tripod.html and a tripod head http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...04rc2-tripod-head-w-quick-release-plates.html for sale.

The D3100 does not have Nikon's CLS IR wireless Commander mode for controlling/firing off camera Nikon flash units that don't have an optical trigger mode.

A camera bag/case is essential. You really need to carry more than just a second lens.

You do need a bag, but it doesn't have to be crazy. Your tripod on the other hand, should be pretty crazy. $70 won't even get you close unfortunately.. Carbon fiber is expensive, and you really are paying for the weight more than anything. A nice aluminum tripod will get you better stability on a budget. I would wait on the monopod, and gorillapod, and flash, and save up for a tripod that will last you forever. Rock solid support is irreplaceable, and will allow you to get the full performance out of your lenses.

This is going to sound stupid but one of my favorite accessories is a camera strap. A black rapid RS-7. It makes carrying my camera around all day unnoticeable compared to a traditional neck strap.

Good point. I have used a Black Rapid strap for years. so many years they are RS-2 straps.

Black Rapid straps are a sling type strap that goes over the shoulder, not around the neck.

www.blackrapid.com

Most reactions

Back