WHAT GOES/WHAT STAYS - TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY

Nici

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The old question - quantity versus quality and more or less I'm in the same predicament. I like to travel light mostly cause I travel solo and not all that young anymore. I'm torn between taking my Nikon 35mm Prime lens apposed to my Sigma 18-250mm Zoom. I'll be taking a lot of nature shots some landscapes, but not sure if my very light an convenient 35 will live the expectations. Any suggestions out there? By the way, I know some will suggest me taking both, but I wouldn't want to constantly switch between lenses either. Ohhh and another by the way, my work buddy is a Nikon D7100.

If all you want are happy snaps, then the 18-250 would be the way to go, but if your goal is quality images, then I suspect both choices will disappoint; the 35 due to its restrictive nature, and the 18-250 from an IQ perspective.

Of the two I'd probably take the Sigma 18-250. The 35 would give higher image quality I'm sure but I think yo'd find the focal length fairly limiting.

Another option would be to consider possibly adding another lens to your collection, when I'm travelling light I use a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, it's fantastically sharp and takes great photos. I bought the old non-vc version without the built in focus motor, snagged it for $100 off of ebay. Best part about the 7100 is that it will use a lot of those older lenses that the 3xxx and 5xxx won't, so a lot of times you can get those lenses dirt cheap from Ebay, KEH and other sources.

If all you want are happy snaps, then the 18-250 would be the way to go, but if your goal is quality images, then I suspect both choices will disappoint; the 35 due to its restrictive nature, and the 18-250 from an IQ perspective.

Makes sense. May I ask what you mean by an IQ perspective? The idea is not just happy snappy's but also something worth while. As I'm still in the learning phase, I can do with as much advice as I can get. The aim is to improve my photography and I'm open to all suggestions and advice.

Makes sense. May I ask what you mean by an IQ perspective? The idea is not just happy snappy's but also something worth while. As I'm still in the learning phase, I can do with as much advice as I can get. The aim is to improve my photography and I'm open to all suggestions and advice.

IQ means image quality. The sigma 18-250 like most all around lenses won't be as sharp and the overall image quality won't be as good as you can get from a prime lens like a 35mm.

Another option would be to consider possibly adding another lens to your collection, when I'm travelling light I use a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, it's fantastically sharp and takes great photos. I bought the old non-vc version without the built in focus motor, snagged it for $100 off of ebay. Best part about the 7100 is that it will use a lot of those older lenses that the 3xxx and 5xxx won't, so a lot of times you can get those lenses dirt cheap from Ebay, KEH and other sources.

Thank you for the advice. I sure will keep that lens in mind. The trade off on the Sigma zoom is definitely sharpness versus the prime. Appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for the advice. I sure will keep that lens in mind. The trade off on the Sigma zoom is definitely sharpness versus the prime. Appreciate your feedback.

No worries, happy to help.

IQ means image quality. The sigma 18-250 like most all around lenses won't be as sharp and the overall image quality won't be as good as you can get from a prime lens like a 35mm.

Thanx. Now I get it. Yes I agree the 35 is nice and sharp but restricted. Someone mentioned the Tamron 17 - 50. Any thoughts on that from your side.

Wow awesome... Love the detail. Any landscapes you can share?

Not really a big landscape shooter myself, mostly critters. Think the closest I got to a landscape would be this:

20150907 III 232 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

Dang Elk photobombed me though.. lol

If buying another lens is on the table, then an excellent and very inexpensive (used) suggestion would be the Nikon 18-70. This was the kit lens that came with the D70 way back when, and is, IMO, the absolute best kit lens ever. The build-quality is so-so; what you'd expect, but the IQ is fantastic. It's a bit slower at f3.5-4.5, but I never found that to be an issue.

Wow awesome... Love the detail. Any landscapes you can share?

Not really a big landscape shooter myself, mostly critters. Think the closest I got to a landscape would be this:

20150907 III 232 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr

Dang Elk photobombed me though.. lol
Nice and sharp. I assune this is the 17-50 at work?..I really like the clarity of the shot. I'm impressed. Thanx for the info. I appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back