What happend here ?

You were abducted by (bacon-eating) aliens whilst toting your mysterious light-sensitive sheets home and their.......... um............... 'medical exam' of you exposed both you and the paper to some mysterious energy field.
Well, that certainly makes more sense than dropping the box and having the paper exposed to light! It's always about the bacon, at the end of the day, isn't it?

It got x-rayed.
Correct !
I brought this paper across US - Canadian border in the car. This way, quite costly to me, I proved above any doubt X-rays are no good for unexposed emulsion. However for 10 months paper was still good, went bad just two weeks ago. I noticed, that it was a little less sensitive over the time, not much, at first I had to add to metered exposure 10 %, but at the end about 25, but the image was fine. Until this. Looks like x-rays are destroying sensitizers, it doesn't happen uniformly hence this mottled look. And it took 10 months. I don't know, it is good that 10 monts or bad and shouldn't happen at all.
Nevertheless, you guys take material across the border in the car, process it quickly. LOL.

You were abducted by (bacon-eating) aliens whilst toting your mysterious light-sensitive sheets home and their.......... um............... 'medical exam' of you exposed both you and the paper to some mysterious energy field.
Well, that certainly makes more sense than dropping the box and having the paper exposed to light! It's always about the bacon, at the end of the day, isn't it?
I like bacon.

It got x-rayed.
Correct !
I brought this paper across US - Canadian border in the car. This way, quite costly to me, I proved above any doubt X-rays are no good for unexposed emulsion. However for 10 months paper was still good, went bad just two weeks ago. I noticed, that it was a little less sensitive over the time, not much, at first I had to add to metered exposure 10 %, but at the end about 25, but the image was fine. Until this. Looks like x-rays are destroying sensitizers, it doesn't happen uniformly hence this mottled look. And it took 10 months. I don't know, it is good that 10 monts or bad and shouldn't happen at all.
Nevertheless, you guys take material across the border in the car, process it quickly. LOL.

You can still buy special bags to protect film & paper from x-ray machines.

It got x-rayed.
Correct !

You can still buy special bags to protect film & paper from x-ray machines.
Yes, I know, but they are not big enough to store 250 sheet box and then I think border x-ray is potent. I hope is directed only at the trunk,( not the people in the car.) It has to go pretty far and thru a lot of metal. I cross this border maybe 3 times per year, but people are crossing every day. I wonder, what will happen to them...

Oh, did you mean "Airport Security" bags for photo equipment ?

You can also request a hand-search, can you not?

I know many consider film to be ancient history, but a reasonable person (in this case, a border guard) should have the common sense to understand the issue.

You can also request a hand-search, can you not?

I know many consider film to be ancient history, but a reasonable person (in this case, a border guard) should have the common sense to understand the issue.
You are right, it should be possible and I should think about that. But I didn't, so I've got hard lesson.
Luckily I have plenty of other papers and I will survive until the next budget. :biglaugh:This paper was from Ultrafine (VC Elite). I like this emulsion, but looks like Adorama has very competitive prices for similar product.

It could make for a new project. Find 10 images that work with the effect and make 20 prints of each.

It could make for a new project. Find 10 images that work with the effect and make 20 prints of each.
I gonna keep this paper to see how the deterioration progresses.

I just ordered two packages of 25 sheets of Ilford paper from BH Photo!! They will have gone through xrays at the border no? I'm in Canada!! :aiwebs_016:

Last edited:
I am in Canada to. I don't think shipments like from B&H go trough xray. I bought some stuff from USA, papers included and all is OK. Few years later.

Most reactions

Back