what happened here???!!

Hmmm...:scratch:

Maybe part of the lens (or lens hood) blocked part of the sun and thus the sun flare was blocked from that small part of the image.

thats what I was thinking too. But the line is so straight across! I took my lens hood off for this photo.

Shutter malfunction?

Hmmm...:scratch:

Maybe part of the lens (or lens hood) blocked part of the sun and thus the sun flare was blocked from that small part of the image.
This is what I was thinking too; any chance that something was acting as a flag? A building, lamp-post...

sparky's right, shutter malfunction, I think.

Any flare related stuff would be much more likely to be round.

Were you wearing a cap? Something certainly appears to have occluded part of the lens since that line is the only place there was no flare.

I wouldn't say there's no flare there. It may be there, just hard to see since there's nothing to compare it to.

Okay sorry, I went to the grocery store. No hat, no flag/building etc. So shutter malfunction huh...should I be concerned?

With further though and based on it being a straight line...I'd guess shutter as well. Maybe see if you can replicate the problem...and document the settings & conditions.

With further though and based on it being a straight line...I'd guess shutter as well. Maybe see if you can replicate the problem...and document the settings & conditions.
But how could the shutter malfunction to cause this. The exposure in the "affected" area seems fine, indicating no appreciable change in the speed of the blades... not saying it can't be the case, just that I can't figure out how... I would think lens/optics more than shutter, even though the straight line doesn't really work for that...

Maybe, the camera was moving during the exposure, and just before the first curtain was all the way up, the camera/lens moved into a position that caused the lens flare. Or maybe the flare was there, and the lens moved out of alignment (for the flare) just before the curtain was all the way up. Still a big of a head scratcher.

.........But how could the shutter malfunction to cause this. ........

Shutters are man-made devices, not omnipotent. They are subject to all sorts of mishaps. Since this it at the top of the image, that means it's and the end of the shutter cycle. Perhaps the rear curtain simply hiccupped and sped up.

Most reactions

Back