What happens when you plan to buy Canon but then all people you like use Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm doing also. I almost got the T2i but now I'm waiting for the D7000. Reviews look amazing!! Also, D90's track record speaks for it self. Nikon D7000: Camera Road Test With Chase Jarvis | Chase Jarvis Blog

Yeah I saw the video too, but don't be fooled by the photos because they used Aperture 3 I believe and Final Cut pro for the video. There are some raw photos in there so you can see the actual photos, meaning how they actually look straight from the camera... not bad but the editing makes them look awesome.

This is annoying... trying to decided my first DSLR its a pain.... Might as well go for the best camera which is a ''Holga 120N'' :lol: now that is RAW power.

They both make great cameras and lenses, so you really can't go wrong, either way. The differences are marginal, and with each generation of bodies and lenses, they outdo each other in their constant race. One's better, then the other, then back again, and so on.

That said, if I were surrounded by Nikon users, with any chance at all that I could borrow lenses, flashes or other gear from them from time to time, that's the system I'd buy into.

I shoot Canon digitals, btw.

I would agree with this as well - though if some people you admire and want to emulate are using a certain brand of camera I would try to understand why they have made that choice. Starting out it won't matter which company you go for - but later on if you get more keen you might find that one company has a slight advantage over the other within a select area of interest.

That said, if I were surrounded by Nikon users, with any chance at all that I could borrow lenses, flashes or other gear from them from time to time, that's the system I'd buy into.

I'm not reading this whole thread because I have an idea where it's going to go, but that being said Buckster's comment is the most logical. I have a good friend who just bought a nikon, he later went on to tell me his roommate has thousands and thousands of dollars in canon gear and lenses. I told him to get rid of the Nikon and get canon so he could borrow lenses and gear. I will tell you the same thing.

One of the best sports photographers on this site uses Pentax, so don't base your decision on who shoots the best photos.

Why do you suppose a camera freak like Kai at Digital Rev would prefer Nikon over Canon? And why is Chase Jarvis a Nikon shooter? Why is Joe McNally a Nikon shooter?

Why are some people left-handed and others right-handed? Why do they drive on the "wrong side" of the road in some countries? How come some people love cilantro, and yet another segment of the world's population says that cilantro tastes like soap?

Once you can answer all of these questions, then you'll know the answers to all these questions. Until then, why not just buy a Canon and start learning how to use it?

Thanks for the great advice guys... I think I will wait a little longer until a review of the Nikon D7000 appears. I know there its a price difference between the 2 but I plan to get them on either a 6 or 12 month finance instalments so I can get the 50mm f1.4 first.

I was leaning towards Nikon for a sec in terms of more affordable lenses however the 2 lenses I plan to buy the 50mm f1.4 and 20-70mm f2.8 are actually more expensive on the Nikon side plus apparently there was a light leakage on the 20-70mm Nikon. Plus Canon video on their lenses manufacturing process certainly made me understand why lenses are so expensive and also why I tend to admire Made in Japan stuff.

By the way someone said that both are not to be compared well true. But to be honest I did not see a real point to get the 7D as the 550D offers almost the same for half the price. Also why on earth does the D7000 cost so much in the UK, its supposed to cost at around 900 pounds NO 1100. Its unfair how everything tech cost so much in the UK.

Probably going to go to the store again, ask questions and see if I can try them.

The 7D has weather sealing, the 550D doesn't. There are quite a few other significant differences as well.

Weather sealing=investment protection.

The Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Nikon 50mm 1.4G arent really in the same class in my opinion...

I think the Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Nikon 50mm 1.4D is a better comparison.

The Canon 50mm 1.2L and the Nikon 50mm 1.4G is what you should be comparing. There is zero question which is better in the price vs. performance area on this one.

Plus both Canon 1.2s suffer from some serious problems, and are love/hate type of lenses at best. They do have some real good qualities as well though.

Hope this helps

When you're talking about entry-level or upper-entry-level DSLRs, any choice of major brands is usually going to be a good one. Reams of commentary can be written on the comparative strengths and weaknesses of Nikon vs. Canon offerings in that price range... but the bare-bones fact of the matter is that they are pretty much comparable tools that perform equally well.

For the entry-level buyer, I think that an honest generalization like this is important. Buying a first D-SLR can be very confusing and very expensive, especially for someone who has previously never dropped more than $100-$200 on a point-and-shoot. When I was buying my D-SLR, I rigorously examined offerings from Nikon, Canon, and Olympus (maybe others, I don't remember). I learned a whole lot of specs and figures and read tons of opposing reviews, but these really just complicated the process of choosing one even further.

Ultimately, I chose Nikon. Why? Partly, because my girlfriend's father was a Nikon shooter and I trusted his judgement. But even more importantly, I had been reading many books by the late Galen Rowell and he was, and still remains, a huge inspiration to me... and he, too, was a Nikon shooter (primarily).

After getting fed up with all kinds of stats and specs and conflicting reviews, I let gear-borrowing and emulation decide for me... and, for what it's worth, it worked out great.

Think about what you're going to get and if you're going to upgrade. My neighbor is hating his Nikon atm because once he upgrades his body to a FF he can't use his current lenses. With the Canon, I can use the EF lenses for both of my bodies w/out any issue. Beside, does it matter what other people use? It should be about what you feel and how it'll save you money end of the day.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an FF body, and how does it differ from his current Nikon (what type of body is the current)? I'm a little lost by this.

Full Frame sensor

Start admiring Canon shooters and get new friends. :thumbup:

I went with Canon cause my Dad had one.. and I could use all his lenses.. = )

CanonShades.jpg

For the entry-level buyer, I think that an honest generalization like this is important. Buying a first D-SLR can be very confusing and very expensive, especially for someone who has previously never dropped more than $100-$200 on a point-and-shoot. When I was buying my D-SLR, I rigorously examined offerings from Nikon, Canon, and Olympus (maybe others, I don't remember). I learned a whole lot of specs and figures and read tons of opposing reviews, but these really just complicated the process of choosing one even further.

I dropped $500 into a Canon PowerShot S2 IS years ago from best buy as my first camera :p

Think about what you're going to get and if you're going to upgrade. My neighbor is hating his Nikon atm because once he upgrades his body to a FF he can't use his current lenses. With the Canon, I can use the EF lenses for both of my bodies w/out any issue. Beside, does it matter what other people use? It should be about what you feel and how it'll save you money end of the day.

Actually, he can use his DX lenses with an FX camera. The sensor will crop the shot, but they will still work. You can't, however, use Canon EF-S lenses in a FF body.

The real question is, does he want to shoot with a cropped frame? Probably not, BUT the option is there, and it will work. You can't do that with a Canon.

<---Canon user, by the way. Just giving the facts.

I was thinking about the same thing too except that I was also considering something from Olympus. Not so much anymore since I just found out thru here that 4/3 is pretty much done...or will be in the future.

Instead, I decided I will be going with the d7000 for sure. The T2i you mentioned is in a completely lower class compared to the d7000, just like everyone has stated but a more accurate comparison would be the 60D vs the d7000. Canon is great and definitely has a lot of pros but I decided on Nikon and the d7000. The price difference between the 60D and d7000 here in Canada is literally, $100...for that small difference I get a HUGE jump up in build quality among many other things.

I suggest you go with Nikon!

PS- I shoot with Olympus, so I'm literally in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back