What happens when you plan to buy Canon but then all people you like use Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyHeartLiesInU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Firstly, hello everyone I am new here :-D, hope I get advice on the following!

I was currently planning to buy Canon 550D (Rebel T2i/Kiss x4) but then Nikon appeared but only because some people close to me and people who's work I like use Nikon!

- Chase Jarvis uses Nikon
- Kai from DigitalRev uses both but its a Nikon fan
- My uncle and mum's husband use Nikon, though my uncle has an old SLR not digital, and my mum's husband is tight so I wont be asking him for lenses or advice because he hasn't got either.
- The korean music video I like and the film I watched last week were using Nikon

When I went to the shop I was surprised at how light the 550D was and when I tried my mum's husband D90 it was a bit heavy but felt better ergonomically speaking. Though when I go an look at pictures I tend to like Canon because they tend to alter the image a bit but Nikon its also nice and more realistic as I feel it leaves more space for editing.

The reason I was leaning towards Canon was because I used my friend's 400D before and because I have heard Canon provides better video quality. Also almost everything Canon is made in Japan, whereas Nikon its made in China, Philippines, Taiwan and Japan too but only for expensive lenses.

So here I am stuck deciding go for the Canon 550D or Nikon D7000 (recently announced). By the way I will not use video a lot but I will certainly like to get good video and edit too.

Has this ever happened to you? Other people have influenced you in your purchase; people close or people who's work you like or admire?

I got Nikon from experience with their glass at work and those I associated with used Nikons.

And yes, we swap lenses and talk purchases with that in mind. Really helpful when you have 4 people show up all with Nikon flashes that will work with CLS flash.

I bought the T2i! I went threw the same thing as you, in the end the lightweight and compactness aside from the performance is what made me buy it. I absolutely love it and i am glad i went with this camera.

which feels best to you.

yes, it would be nice if your friends have lenses to share, etc. But if you are really fond of the canon then buy it (by the way i am a nikon user which has no bearing on your decsion and neither should your friends , in my opinion)

You buy a Pentax K-5 instead of either :) The camera is just a box with a hole that exposes light. The film or sensor could care less what name is on the box. Any brand you choose has a good array of lenses and the differences are really quite negligible. Pick one and start shooting.

Think about what you're going to get and if you're going to upgrade. My neighbor is hating his Nikon atm because once he upgrades his body to a FF he can't use his current lenses. With the Canon, I can use the EF lenses for both of my bodies w/out any issue. Beside, does it matter what other people use? It should be about what you feel and how it'll save you money end of the day.

Your best strategy is to find somewhere that you can try out both cameras at the same time and pick the one that is the most comfortable and easiest for you to use.

I assume that you will be getting the camera complete with kit lens; unless your friends and relatives have lenses that cover a different range of focal lengths than the kit lens and are prepared to lend them then there is no advantage in going with the same system as them.

Other people have influenced you in your purchase; people close or people who's work you like or admire? - people whose work I like would influence my style or technique but not what camera marque I would buy.

Canon user here.

First Nikon D7000 and D90 is not quite the same class as the Canon 550D especially the newer D7000.

If just compare body to body, nothing else, I will choose the Nikon D7000 over the Canon 550D. And of course, you need to pay more for that.

The main reason is ..

Larger body *
Faster max shutter speed
Faster frame rate
Pentaprism (D7000) vs Pentamirror (550D) *
Focus point 39 & 9 are cross type (D7000) vs 9 & 1 is cross type (550D) *
Top display in D7000 *
Dual Control Wheels *

* more important for me

Of course, this is not comparing Canon vs Nikon, just the 2 cameras you mentioned. But then again, they are not in the same class. For what the class where 550D belongs to, it is a GREAT camera! No doubt about it.

Don't forget one thing, if your budget is limited, money you save in the lower cost camera body will help in lens purchase which is also very important. One last thing, I do not think one camera is better than the other in terms of image quality.

Go Nikon. Everyone else is doing it!

;)

Canon and Nikon are both good...

Short summary of my opinion on this:

-Nikon has the best FF bodies
-Canon has the best crop body(7D)
-Nikon has better metering
-Canon has better telephotos(don't even try and argue this with me)
-Nikon has better value at many focal lengths for pro level lenses, the Nikon 50mm 1.4G vs. Canon 50mm 1.2L for example, etc.
-Canon has better video
-Nikon has better flashes
-Canon has the fastest lenses between the two companies (this is not something a lot of people care about though)

As you can see its far from a clear cut victory for either of them.

People get way too caught up with the Canon vs. Nikon thing. They both kick ass, and anyone who truly appreciates quality would love either system.

Pick the one you want, and dont look back. Don't worry about what other people are doing (this goes for life in general). Trendy people suck lol.

Watch this video, its pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't go wrong with either one. Pick the camera that has the features that are important to you and don't look back.

Thanks for the great advice guys... I think I will wait a little longer until a review of the Nikon D7000 appears. I know there its a price difference between the 2 but I plan to get them on either a 6 or 12 month finance instalments so I can get the 50mm f1.4 first.

I was leaning towards Nikon for a sec in terms of more affordable lenses however the 2 lenses I plan to buy the 50mm f1.4 and 20-70mm f2.8 are actually more expensive on the Nikon side plus apparently there was a light leakage on the 20-70mm Nikon. Plus Canon video on their lenses manufacturing process certainly made me understand why lenses are so expensive and also why I tend to admire Made in Japan stuff.

By the way someone said that both are not to be compared well true. But to be honest I did not see a real point to get the 7D as the 550D offers almost the same for half the price. Also why on earth does the D7000 cost so much in the UK, its supposed to cost at around 900 pounds NO 1100. Its unfair how everything tech cost so much in the UK.

Probably going to go to the store again, ask questions and see if I can try them.

They both make great cameras and lenses, so you really can't go wrong, either way. The differences are marginal, and with each generation of bodies and lenses, they outdo each other in their constant race. One's better, then the other, then back again, and so on.

That said, if I were surrounded by Nikon users, with any chance at all that I could borrow lenses, flashes or other gear from them from time to time, that's the system I'd buy into.

I shoot Canon digitals, btw.

Thanks for the great advice guys... I think I will wait a little longer until a review of the Nikon D7000 appears. I know there its a price difference between the 2 but I plan to get them on either a 6 or 12 month finance instalments so I can get the 50mm f1.4 first.

I was leaning towards Nikon for a sec in terms of more affordable lenses however the 2 lenses I plan to buy the 50mm f1.4 and 20-70mm f2.8 are actually more expensive on the Nikon side plus apparently there was a light leakage on the 20-70mm Nikon. Plus Canon video on their lenses manufacturing process certainly made me understand why lenses are so expensive and also why I tend to admire Made in Japan stuff.

By the way someone said that both are not to be compared well true. But to be honest I did not see a real point to get the 7D as the 550D offers almost the same for half the price. Also why on earth does the D7000 cost so much in the UK, its supposed to cost at around 900 pounds NO 1100. Its unfair how everything tech cost so much in the UK.

Probably going to go to the store again, ask questions and see if I can try them.

That's what I'm doing also. I almost got the T2i but now I'm waiting for the D7000. Reviews look amazing!! Also, D90's track record speaks for it self. Nikon D7000: Camera Road Test With Chase Jarvis | Chase Jarvis Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back