What HDR and film shooters have in common

Nicely said SCraig.

I also dont "get" many styles of photography. I went to a large multi gallery exhibit at PhotoLA and was completely befuddled as to why a shot of a street would sell for $5000. Or a tree trunk would go for $10,000.

I do landscape, and when I see a winter mountain landscape, I can understand the miles the photographer had to hike into the mountains carrying a heavy pack and photo gear. Usually working alone because no one wants to wait around while you take photos on a multi day hike. And then repeating the hike a dozen times until the light is right. Someone who hasnt done it......wouldnt see it that way.

Yup art, its subjective!

I'll be glad when the HDR fad follows the same path of "selective coloring".
HDR has its place. I don't like the oversaturated effect either but I do like it when it is used for increasing dynamic range. The phrase "If you have to ask if it's HDR then it was done right" works for me.

Why stop there? The B&W shooters will rave about that perfect dynamic range spread, the portrait shooters are enamored with having perfect shadows, the action shooters love it when they snag one with a perfectly blurred background and tack-sharp subject, the astrophotographers love to get that halfway clear shot of a distant galaxy, and on and on and on.
Dang! I must be doing it all wrong :( I just kinda point the camera and take the picture. For me it is about getting the perfect feel, having the perfect team. Getting the picture close as possible to the request of the client.

I'll be glad when the HDR fad follows the same path of "selective coloring".
Oh God....the other day, this guy asked me if I could keep the models in colour but desaturate the background. I could feel a little part of me die.

bigthumb.gif

A photographer "On another forum" takes a dozen shots of a person on a street, and they are utterly boring to me. Same style, same boring character, same sameness.

I agree with you in part because any of the 'popup and shoot a pretty girl or startle some one' school of photography is boring because there is nothing beyond reproducing the content. That gives street photography a bad name.

It's like giving someone a peanut butter sandwich on stale bread and saying that's indicative of all food. Even if you like peanut butter on stale bread, a steady diet of that gets boring. That kind of street photography is like over-the-top HDR in that they are substituting technique for insight.

I like to think that I shoot differently, abjuring stereotypical street shots and looking for the message in what I show.

Most reactions

Back